• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
pidge

Are the Wings going to get a new arena?

Rate this topic

I like the Joe, but the location is terrible. It would be better for Detroit if it was moved to the other stadiums, it'd provide a nice boost to the economy and would help rejuvinate the district.

But if we get a new arena you just know it'll be something like the Comerica-Ford-Little Caesar's Arena instead of somethign with character, and it would have levels which would eliminate good sightlines. I can only afford the 40 dollar tickets, and at the Joe we have the benefit of still having a good, relatively close view of the ice from there. I don't see that happening in a new arena aimed at making money.

So I'm mixed on it. They should just move the JLA ;).

I wish.

I've been reading these forums for a while but this thread finally made me register so I can post...

I'd personally love for the Wings to get a new arena since the Joe is getting up there as far as age goes.. I still think it's great to watch hockey in since we're used to it and I love the old school feel to it but there are other things you have to take into consideration besides hockey. Illitch looses a lot of other events like concerts to the Palace since it's a newer arena with more to offer, so in the end it's bringing people out of downtown Detroit for these events and taking money out of Illitch's pockets... Also take into consideration that Cobo needs to be expanded which could happen if the Joe was demolished in the next few years...

If we do get a new arena I think it would be best behind the Fox Theater... If you've ever been back there it's just a few random buildings and a lot of surface parking lots which hurt that part of the city... The stadium districts are fine the way they are and wouldn't benefit that much with a new hockey arena in the area... If they build behind the Fox it would really bring back that area of downtown Detroit and make it a place people would walk around on most days... New bars, restaurants, and whatever else could spring up back there which would really fill in another hole in the downtown area...

Edited by dklotz

I think its only a matter of time before the Wings get a new arena. As far as the lease being up next year, I thought it was decided this fall that the lease actually runs though 2011 or 12. I tried checking the Detroit News, but you have to pay to see articles that far back. Anyway, the Joe is a dump and its in a bad location. If Tiger Stadium can get torn down (eventually) than there's no way The Joe is going to stand forever. Cobo needs the room anyway.

And it will have a corporate name.

Guest LivingtheDream

I would like to see a new arena right in the middle of things and then use the riverfront area for more public spaces. Face it, cities that use their water front area for more open park areas are big winners as cities go - Chicago is the perfect example. As for a name, gosh darn it all I would love to see Yzerman Arena, but with corporate sponsors and him still being alive, this will not happen for a long long time (if ever). How about Octopus Garden? (double pun - Beatles song, Madison Square...)

I would like to see a new arena right in the middle of things and then use the riverfront area for more public spaces. Face it, cities that use their water front area for more open park areas are big winners as cities go - Chicago is the perfect example. As for a name, gosh darn it all I would love to see Yzerman Arena, but with corporate sponsors and him still being alive, this will not happen for a long long time (if ever). How about Octopus Garden? (double pun - Beatles song, Madison Square...)

This is very true.

I think it would be great to have a new arena behind the Fox Theatre called Google Center. It would open the area up and it could be made more Parisian.

A new arena might be 5 years down the road. I would rather wait for a cutting edge arena that can give Detroit a nice facelift rather than something more generic for a cheaper cost.

The New york Islander's Nassau Coliseum is really bad right now but they are getting a huge upgrade.

Before:

nassaucoliseum.jpg

After:

33751488.jpg

It'll be an icon! I'm jealous! Detroit and Mr. I can do something competitive with this. I know they can! We're Hockeytown!

Guest CaliWingsNut
Everything to this point is speculation, but I remember a while ago reading an article in which the name of the arena would be the "New Olympia Stadium."

Here is the proposal for this arena if anyone wants to take a look: New Olympia I think I'd be pretty cool.

If you read the first paragraph on that page you linked, it says that it's not an official proposal. It's just some random guy with too much time on his hands who decided to draw something up. Quite possibly for an architechure class.

The Joe is going to be our home for a while... Detroit will likely lose the NAIAS because of it, but I don't see a new stadium being built anytime soon.

There would be no other city in the US with Hockey, Baseball, and Football stadiums on the same block. This could be an incentive for restaraunts, hotels, bars, and other business to set-up there.

Actually Philadelphia, PA has all of their stadiums. Lincoln Financial Field, Citizens Bank Park and the Wachovia Center are all within a few blocks.

If you read the first paragraph on that page you linked, it says that it's not an official proposal. It's just some random guy with too much time on his hands who decided to draw something up. Quite possibly for an architechure class.

The Joe is going to be our home for a while... Detroit will likely lose the NAIAS because of it, but I don't see a new stadium being built anytime soon.

about the new Olympia:

i love the the player and VIP parking......

a. great for drive by shootings

b. there are barely enough sports for the team and coaches, nevermind VIP's

Edited by Spongewingredpants

The Wings, I believe will be playing in a new arena in 3-4 years. Mr. I has been purchasing land on the northwest side of I75 and Woodward. The Wings need a state of the art facility. I've been to a couple of the newer arenas, heck, the United Center opened in 94 and it's a great place to see a game. The Joe was poorly designed; no press box, small bathrooms, narrow corridors. I can't see the benefits of remodelling JLA. With the Tiger's success, the money is pouring in, the time is perfect to announce a new building. Plus, it will create jobs, and help spur more revitalization of the area. I was in Chicago the last year of The Stadium, and it was not a nice area. Now, it looks really nice.

I would like to see a new arena right in the middle of things and then use the riverfront area for more public spaces. Face it, cities that use their water front area for more open park areas are big winners as cities go - Chicago is the perfect example.

Chicago is also a perfect example in what NOT to build for an NHL arena - the location and sanitized environment of the UC is horrible. Sight lines suck, it doesn't have any atmosphere, it has no character. It's an absolutely terrible place to see a hockey game. No wonder Hawks fans stayed away for so long.

I know nobody wants a corporate name attached to a new arena, but I believe the days without them are almost over. Residents of these towns are not passing the local laws to foot the massive bill. It's a lot easier for Ilitch to use a big name like Little Caesars or a big name willing to step up. I do think they need to incorporate Yzerman or Hockeytown in the name of it.

I have no idea what they will end up deciding, but I for one hope that they get a new arena. If any of you have been in the press box, it's absolutely ridiculous. It is quite tight up there in spots. There is only one restroom for 80+ people and it is very unimpressive. Yes, the Joe has character but I would be happy with a new arena.

I think they should build a new arena. Fu**it I work in detroit and my taxes would go up but, who cares. I'm already paying the Kwamie kills a hooker defense tax right now why not suppourt a sports team which ends up being nothing but good for the city. Put it by all the businesses in the Fox Theather area to help increase revenue again. The only problem will be when playoffs hit and we have Tigers and Wings playing at the same time in the area.

As for letting the people who live in Detroit vote on it screw that. Let the county vote on it. I'm sick of watching the morons in Detroit screw up every election. Anyways chances are they'll freaking increase the alcohol tax again in wayne county to pay for it just like the new Cobo expansion.

Edited to cut the swearing out. :)

Edited by RedWingsFan4Life

I think it would be cool if they had a Skating rink outside the arena. Some place were you could go and skate and maybe play some hocckey when there isn't games or come down early before the games.

People I am reading alot on here about reno the Joe and Cobo needs an update, fact is that the city wants the Joe to expand Cobo but in order to do that the Wings need a new home first and as broke as this city is I do not see that happening soon if it does happen name it the Olympia Arena and build to look like the old barn

People I am reading alot on here about reno the Joe and Cobo needs an update, fact is that the city wants the Joe to expand Cobo but in order to do that the Wings need a new home first and as broke as this city is I do not see that happening soon if it does happen name it the Olympia Arena and build to look like the old barn

In all fairness to the posters you were referencing I brought this thread up from March, and I have to assume things have changed since then which is why I brought this thread back.

I have not heard anything about the Joe and the new temp mayor has said the top priority is getting a Cobo deal done asap because of the North America & International auto show. I hope Cockrel, Jr. stays mayor because it seems he is more respected then Kawme which Illitch and former mayor Kawme did not see eye to eye.

Edited by Jwo

I seriously hope that they get a new arena sometime within the next few years. The Joe is an absolute POS. It has served us well, but it's days are here I think. The only thing that would suck is moving into a new arena not named "the Joe."

I love all the history that is around it, but they need to do something to that arena if they don't move.

As much as I want to see the Joe torn down, all the signs point to it being the Wings' home for a couple more years.

First of all, Illich is a penny pincher. He's always been a penny pincher, from his ridiculous ticket prices (especially for this economy) to his cheap as hell Little Caesar's commercials. If building an unnecessary arena can be avoided, then why do it? Secondly, I would imagine that if he were going to make a new arena, he would've announced it by now, so people can start planning for utilizing the space for Cobo, which will surely require a lot of time and planning to execute. Thirdly, since the rumors began that the Wings might be getting a new arena, Illich seems to be doing what he can to make the Joe a quality place. He put in that vip suite, added a stand up section, put in a commemorative Gordie Howe statue, with two more statues planned to be unveiled later this month. We have the Gordie Howe entrance, instead of "the entrance by the stairs". Its like he's trying to make the Joe look as good as possible so people aren't as discouraged when he announces that he has decided to renew the lease.

Hopefully I'm wrong though.

You gotta think its gunna happen at some point - especially with the attendances the last 2 years (yes, I know - ticket prices, poor economy yadda yadda yadda).

Fact is, new arenas boost attendance, and revenue soars due to executive boxes and the like.

And the name? Little Caesars Arena anyone?

How about the Chelis Chili Arena