• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

miller76

Run ins wearing the red.

Rate this topic

Part 1

I had the honor of being in attendance when Stevie Y got his 600th goal against Edmonton.

Part 2

I live in Nashville, and even though I cheer for the Preds (when they don't play us) I still get a lot of crap from my friends for being a Wings fan. At the games (DET vs. NSH) most of the Preds fans I end up sitting next to are pretty cool, I have had some instances. The two that stand out in my mind was when a 5 year old told me I sucked, and when an old lady told me I sucked.

When I was in Denver for work last month, I actually got more KUDOS from people for wearing a Wings shirt than I did friendly jabs. As soon as I deplaned, a guy came up to me and said "Hey, great shirt, go Wings!"

Later in the evening at one of Denver's fine drinking establishments, I got a few of the more harassing comments, but they were all in good fun :)

I will take the Red and White to Hawaii with me in September!

I attended a very special game. I kind of even realized it at the time! I remember telling a San Jose Sharks fan to watch that rookie playing in his very first NHL game. That rookie... #40 Hank! I was lucky enough to see his NHL debut (he got his first career point by assisting on a Fedorov goal) on October 10, 2002 live in San Jose! Check out the game recap below:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=221010018

Now if I can only find that ticket stub... that would be cool to frame with an auto'd picture of him.

I was at the game back in the Russian 5 days when an all hands fight broke out against the Rangers and they had to end the 1st (?) period early, with time still on the clock, to sort things out.

As for taking crap, I live in SF these days, so I take some ribbing at Sharks games when Detroit is in town. But all in all, it seems to be in good fun, and they're a pretty friendly lot. I think I get more positive feedback from other Detroit transplants here in the city when I'm wearing a jersey. People will literally shout across the street at you here if they're also a fan.

I always wear Red Wings shirts to games in Chicago and Minnesota. I take a lot of heat in Chicago because they have horrible fans that say the nastiest sh*t outside of Philly. Most fans in Minnesota are great, and usually I'll find one fan at each game in Chi-town that has a legitimate hockey conversation with me rather than constantly saying "Detroit Sucks" every time I even open my mouth.

I was in Chicago back in 1996 for the Easter Day game. I was almost hit by a car purposefully for wearing my Wings jersey. We had just beat them for the 60th win that season.

The history making game that I was lucky enough to see was the game where Sergei scored his 5 goals against the Caps on Dec. 26, 1996. What an unbelievable night.

I live in Nashville so...

They tell me Detroit sucks

I tell em to count our cups, or division titles or whatever else comes to mind

First round series wins.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Part 2

being that I live in the Ducks market area, and that I travel frequently and catch a game wherever I can, I always seem to draw the attention of opposing teams fans. Mostly in part because I wear my red CHELIOS jersey, and that I talk a little s*** from time to time. Nothing physical towards me happening, but I get in some heated debates about who's better and who sucks.

Does anyone else on here outside of the Detroit market take a lot of heat for wearing the red?

I used to catch all the Wings games at Nationwide and never had a problem. Most people are cool.

Now football, that's another story. Being from Cleveland originally I am a diehard Browns fan and the first 2 years they opened Paul Brown Stadium for the Bengals the Browns kicked their asses and people were pissed. Usually its me and a bunch of my college buddies wearing vintage Browns jerseys and we cheer and have a good time but never try to start anything. But for those 1st 2 seasons people just wanted to be drunken assholes. The last time ended up with 2 drunks (a father and son) coming down after half time and taking 2 empty seats next to us. Well, the son reaches over and grabs a 1986 division champs towel from my buddies back pocket and heaves it like 10 rows down. So my friend is like WTF? Then they start shoving and beer starts flying. The whole thing culminated with me throwing a haymaking right and missing the guy and hitting my friend Skip right in the ear. We still joke about it to this day because during the mini-brawl when I hit him he grabbed his ear and turned to me and said something like WTF! Ah, anyway, it was funny and we joke about it now but at the time it wasn't so funny.

Another instance started in the parking lot after the game when a guy came up and kicked in the fender of our vintage oldsmobile (painted like a Browns helmet woot, woot!). We all jumped out of the car and were about to do our thing when a bunch of drunken Bengals fans immediately outnumbered us. Fortunately, 2 guys had parked next to us who were also Browns fans. They were in a gigantic Dodge pickup and the driver gets out and he's everything of 6-5 or 6-6 and 400lbs and he's got his browns garb on and says "who wants some!" Suffice to say everybody got quiet and walked away. :)

Then I had kids and realized that getting put into a coma or injured in some way because of a sporting event just isn't worth it. So now, unless i'm at Cleveland stadium, I wear nothing to represent any team. Just plain old street clothes. And you know what, its the safest thing you can do.

Part One - I didn't realize this until I was checking out Hank's website.. but I was in attendance for his 20th goal (his first 20+ goal season) at my one and only regular season NHL game. It was in St. Louis back in 03... it was phenomenal.

Part Two - I usually get Wings games if I head across state to St. Louis. I got crazy s*** for it when I was over there, but I was also still in high school and with my family (most of whom were dressed in St. Louis jerseys) so nothing was started out of it. Though my dads best friend lives outside St Louis and we constantly give each other a random body check if we're walking past each other. He's die-hard for anything St. Louis.

We get the random pre-season game in KC... but it never concerns Detroit. We get teams like Nashville, Florida, Chicago.. etc. They swear they're trying to get Detroit to play a pre-season game here. I doubt it. I always wear my Wings jersey, just like some of my other KC hockey brethren always wearing their colors (the Bruins guy, my parents friend who's always got a Panthers jersey on, etc)

I guess this is a two part thread.

Part 1

I just got to thinking about Zetterbergs hat trick, and realized I was at the arena for his other two. The one against the Wild at the Joe, and the first one in Glendale, AZ against the Coyotes. I guess I feel privleged to have seen them both.

Has anyone been in person to see history made at a game?

Part 2

being that I live in the Ducks market area, and that I travel frequently and catch a game wherever I can, I always seem to draw the attention of opposing teams fans. Mostly in part because I wear my red CHELIOS jersey, and that I talk a little s*** from time to time. Nothing physical towards me happening, but I get in some heated debates about who's better and who sucks.

Does anyone else on here outside of the Detroit market take a lot of heat for wearing the red?

first off your pic is PRICELESS i think im gonna take a pic like that next time i take a drive down to hockey giant.

2nd i have a red wings lettermans jacket that i usually wear whenever the wings play i wore it to dinner once when i went out with my girlfriend i got nothing but dirty looks but no words towards me, they know whats up, s***s intimidating. :ph34r:

Part 1

Was at the game when Hull scored his 700th goal.

Part 2

Wearing my Lidstrom jersey at a Nashville game last year, a Predators fan flipped me for sure. I might have been beligerent, but I can't honestly imagine that.

I wear Detroit/Michigan stuff all the time in the Toronto area. I have a Wings spring/fall pull-over jacket, plus a number of Detroit area shirts (Tigers, Michigan State, Red Wings, Pistons). When the Leafs were decent, people said stuff, but not really anymore. Usually they just look and keep going on with what they're doing.

A few weeks ago I was at a Toronto Raptors game (I got the tickets for free, I was there with a group), they were playing Washington, and I had a Tigers t-shirt on. I was grabbing a coffee in the concorse, and the woman who sold the coffee to me looked at my t-shirt and said, "You need a Raptors t-shirt." I said, "Nah, I'm a Pistons fan." She look at me weird and said, "Why are you here." I replied "I got the ticket for free."

I'm just down the road from you miller76, here in "sharks territory". I've been to every Wing/Shark game played here since I got here 4 years ago. I just got my first jersey (White Shanny) not to long ago, and I wear it every time. Before that I wore as much red as I think I owned.

Only once has the game turned un-enjoyable. It was one of the games last year the sharks beat the Wings 7-2, or something. I had a beer thrown at me while I was leaving and yelled at "Hey #14, you suck!!" Classy I know. I told the guy to shove it. The weird thing was that my wife was wearing her sharks jersey.

Gotta love the drunk fans.

Funny thing was this season....I never had anything said to me. Must have been the score of the game that kept them quit.

I always tease my brother-in-law (a die hard sharks fan) that I always find the sharks games interesting to go to, cause "its like watching the evolution of man...with these expansion teams."

haha

Edited by deceive

here in Denver it's always a conversation starter when my husband and I walk into a store/restaurant and I'm wearing avs gear and he's wearing wings gear. He doesn't usually get too much crap talked to him... and he sometimes even gets a high five :) there are so many wings fans here in Denver that doesn't really surprise me.

I've only been to one game since St. Paul is 4 hours away and I'm broke.

My family got me a ticket for a Wild game for Christmas, and the Wild fans couldn't have been nicer. I sat by a couple who told me where to go for bathroom, drinks, all that stuff without having to climb the stairs (bad knee) and the one guy offered to take my picture with Zetterberg when he was in the penalty box. I declined for fear it would break the camera. Like you're going to fit me in a picture without a wide angle lens, anyway :rolleyes:

I did give a presentation on rabies for a class last year, and a gal came up to me afterwards and said it was really good except that I was wearing a Wings shirt. She's an Avs fan. It was in good fun, though.

Not many NHL fans around here, so when you see pretty much any NHL logo, you usually stop and talk or at least smile.

I get a lot more crap for my Lions gear.

Edited by 55fan

i lived in new mexico for a few years, a place without much hockey. due to its proximity to colorado, there are alot of avs fans there, however.

anyways, at work, this cute girl was wearing an avs jersey. out of the blue, she told me she hated me (i was wearing a wings hat). after some of the old motown charm, like an idiot, i ended up asking her out. we dated for a year, until she flaked out. she thought deadmarsh was 'dreamy'-it was the late 90's.

moral of the story-Never date a woman who wears a post expansion-era team's jersey! :ranting:

Edited by zombiewing

I've only been to one game since St. Paul is 4 hours away and I'm broke.

My family got me a ticket for a Wild game for Christmas, and the Wild fans couldn't have been nicer. I sat by a couple who told me where to go for bathroom, drinks, all that stuff without having to climb the stairs (bad knee) and the one guy offered to take my picture with Zetterberg when he was in the penalty box. I declined for fear it would break the camera. Like you're going to fit me in a picture without a wide angle lens, anyway :rolleyes:

I did give a presentation on rabies for a class last year, and a gal came up to me afterwards and said it was really good except that I was wearing a Wings shirt. She's an Avs fan. It was in good fun, though.

Not many NHL fans around here, so when you see pretty much any NHL logo, you usually stop and talk or at least smile.

I get a lot more crap for my Lions gear.

I can't believe the divealanche have fans outside their city. What's the world coming to. :huh:

i lived in new mexico for a few years, a place without much hockey. due to its proximity to colorado, there are alot of avs fans there, however.

anyways, at work, this cute girl was wearing an avs jersey. out of the blue, she told me she hated me (i was wearing a wings hat). after some of the old motown charm, like an idiot, i ended up asking her out. we dated for a year, until she flaked out. she thought deadmarsh was 'dreamy'-it was the late 90's.

moral of the story-Never date a woman who wears a post expansion-era team's jersey! :ranting:

Why would you date a girl who's first words are "I hate you", and she's wearing a divelanche jersey to boot? I would have blown smoke right in her face and told her to beat it.

I can't believe the divealanche have fans outside their city. What's the world coming to. :huh:

Why would you date a girl who's first words are "I hate you", and she's wearing a divelanche jersey to boot? I would have blown smoke right in her face and told her to beat it.

i know!! not my proudest moment...

I'm just down the road from you miller76, here in "sharks territory". I've been to every Wing/Shark game played here since I got here 4 years ago. I just got my first jersey (White Shanny) not to long ago, and I wear it every time. Before that I wore as much red as I think I owned.

Only once has the game turned un-enjoyable. It was one of the games last year the sharks beat the Wings 7-2, or something. I had a beer thrown at me while I was leaving and yelled at "Hey #14, you suck!!" Classy I know. I told the guy to shove it. The weird thing was that my wife was wearing her sharks jersey.

Gotta love the drunk fans.

Funny thing was this season....I never had anything said to me. Must have been the score of the game that kept them quit.

I always tease my brother-in-law (a die hard sharks fan) that I always find the sharks games interesting to go to, cause "its like watching the evolution of man...with these expansion teams."

haha

Like I have always said... Sharks fans are like Raider fans, but with more money!

I got a sarcastic 'Better luck next time' at GM Place at the last Wings-Canucks game (Wings lost 4-1). Otherwise I haven't gotten much flak.

Also I was in Calgary last summer. The day after the Flames were knocked out by the Wings I went down 17th Ave (aka The Red Mile) wearing my Lidstrom jersey. Soooo many dirty stares, and I savoured every one.

Edited by Cern