• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
shannyfan1414

Fighting, Keep it or leave it?

Rate this topic

Should fighting be a part of the HNL?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey everyone,

Would to see your thoughts on if fighting should stay in the NHL or if it should be done away with once and for all. Please respond so that i can include this survey in my paper.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by shannyfan1414

Keep it.

Key point: Removing it will gain ZERO fans. How many people do you know do not watch hockey because it has fighting in it? However, remove it and you will most definitely lose alot of fans....including myself. While it is not the only reason i watch the sport, it is of vital importance. Knowing that a fight could break out at any moment adds that special edge to the sport that keeps you on your toes at all times. Thats what i love the most, the anticipation you feel when things start to get chippy. Most of the people in the sports media world who bash the NHL and claim it as barbaric because it has fighting would continue to not watch the sport even if fighting were eliminated. Its just the most obvious thing for them to pick on about a game they will never care about regardless of rule changes.

Guest Hank=FutureCaptain

Either the poll starter didn't vote. Or Lou_Siffer didn't. Cause I just voted yes and there are only 2 votes.

IMHO why even post in the poll thread without voting? Makes no sense.

Anyways, as for the topic. If they removed fighting, not only would it gain zero fans, it will most likely cause the NHL to lose quite a few fans. Which it definitely can't afford to do.

I predict this to be the most lopsided poll in internet history :P

Yeah i pretty much predicted that one. But by doing this i'm doing research as to what Detroit Red Wings fans think about fighting.

One good thing about going into kinesiology is that you get to cover topics that are pretty sweet. I never thought that i would get the chance to wright a paper about violence in the NHL.

Well just about done with my paper. Thank you to all that voted. Hopefully i pull off a good grade on this paper.

To me, like lots of people that probably get labeled "anti-fighting" unfairly, this is not a yes/no question. I would say that I advocate the elimination of "certain kinds of fighting". I love when two guys who can really play get into it. I often cite the Iginla/Lecavalier bought from the playoffs a few years back. What I don't like is watching two goons fight for no apparent reason. I also don't like that things have shifted from a fight as a result of a questionable hit to a fight as a result of any hit at all.

Because the winters over here are poor excuses for winters and the nhl is so far away ice hockey has a very small fan base.

I myself first started watching the sport because I enjoyed watching its physical side, especially the fights. So it was the fights that first got me into the sport.

Take away the fights, and its a slippery slope where soon you wont be able to hit hard, and the physicality of the game would eventually drop to a point where I, along with many other fans, would become dissinterested and would start to follow a team in another tougher league (LNAH and the IHL come to mind)

Keep it!! It has been a great part of the game for many years and it will always be one of the most exciting parts of the game. Even though the Red Wings do not fight much, I still enjoy a good bout.

Where is the "BRING IT BACK" option... i didn't even realize the NationalHumaneLeague still allowed fighting... Good news then if it is still out there somewhere!

Keep fighting. This is hockey. If we get rid of fighting, the NHL will lose more fans/viewers.

No one gets seriously hurt in fights (there have been some exceptions)

It gets fans into games

Helps with rivalries- Avs & Wings especially

Bettman is finding more ways to kill the sport, from fining for dumb reasons, and now he wants to get rid of fighting.

this would be as bad as sobotka being fined for twirling octopi!? do they really need to take another thing/ tradition of dropping the gloves away, not only that it would lose viewers, but doesnt that make hockey, well, hockey?

Something to think about when a question is posed like this, because wouldnt you need oxegen to breathe? well you take this out of hockey it will be fancy figure skating with a stick , puck, goalies, forwards and defenseman, they might as well wear the lil tootoos like the olypic skaters sometimes wear.. maybe nylons as well? :scared::blush:

Yeah i pretty much predicted that one. But by doing this i'm doing research as to what Detroit Red Wings fans think about fighting.

One good thing about going into kinesiology is that you get to cover topics that are pretty sweet. I never thought that i would get the chance to wright a paper about violence in the NHL.

Well just about done with my paper. Thank you to all that voted. Hopefully i pull off a good grade on this paper.

Haha...nice! I wish I had done a paper like that! I'd really love to read it when you're done (dohl@uark.edu). (And for the record, I love editing essays...so if you haven't turned it in yet, send it at me!) :D

And, of course, I totally agree--KEEP IT. I remember the first game I went to (yes, I'm a Dallas Stars fan). I was about 13, and 10 minutes into the game I remember saying, "Is this hockey or boxing?" I loved it! There's not a whole lot a fist can do that a 90mph puck, stick, or 200 pound guy cannot. So, if the argument is safety, I don't buy it. And, as far as the fans, I don't think fighting is offending any hockey fans. Taking fighting away would only further propel hockey into the mainstream sports category--see also rink dimension changes/goalie pad changes/etc meant to increase scoring. Hockey fans love the sport because it is unique...we don't want it diluted and football-ized.

I voted yes, but I don't need a fight in a game to enjoy it. I took my nephew and brother in-law to a minor league hockey game once. That experience can best be described as a fight where a game broke out.

There were over 200 penalty minutes in the game as I recall. I think even the equipment managers fought each other. I did not enjoy watching that. It got to the point where I wanted to tell all of them to knock it off and play some hockey -- for at least five minutes, anyway.

Having said that, IMHO, you have to let the players release some steam in the form of fighting, otherwise someone's going to boil over, get ultra-violent and swing a stick at someone's face deliberately a la McSorely.

Most fights end up being a stalemate as the shoulder pads and jerseys prevent most fighters from lining up and cutting loose with a haymaker. It's also conceivable that one of the fighters is forced to not use their dominant hand in a lot of fights because of the position they lock up in.

I'm in favor of outlawing fighting in younger leagues. Most of them aren't going to play the game for a living and don't need to be permanently scarred and maimed.

Well got the paper back. 90 out of 100. Not really what i was hoping for but i'm happy with a 90%.

I did get some bonus points for put up a poll on our wonderful forum.

I know that it's been almost three months since you got your paper back, but I have a comment/question or two. An A-/B+ is still pretty good. What did your teacher/prof mark you down for? Organization? Punctuation? What? Perhaps he/she is a pacifist? I wouldn't mind giving your paper a read myself. Anyway you could post a passage or two?

Well got the paper back. 90 out of 100. Not really what i was hoping for but i'm happy with a 90%.

I did get some bonus points for put up a poll on our wonderful forum.

Hey, a 3.5 is not anything to be to disapointed with. Did you at least find out the areas that need to be improved on for future use?