• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SouthernWingsFan

Out of the three 3-0 series leaders right now...

Rate this topic

Who has been the most impressive?  

147 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

He can't - they keep knocking it out of his hands. <_<

Dude, seriously though, how sad is that, not only is he worrying about the opponents being in his crease bumping into him, knocking him off of his angle, NOW he has to worry about his teammates getting in his way, to me he is the Roy Halladay* of the NHL.

I believe he is a Vezina caliber goaltender, but unfortunately he could have a 1.1 GAA and .987 SV% in 65 starts but if his team only wins 40 games he won't win the Vezina.

*Last night Roy threw his 4th complete game third in a row, and has lost 3 OF THE 4!!!!!!!!!

It's gotta be Dallas. By the end of the regular season they were ice-cold. No only did they knock off the defending Cup Champs, but they are currently manhandling the team that was supposed to be the Cup favorites. Considering what they've done and where they were a month ago,they have got to be the biggest suprise so far.

It's gotta be Dallas. By the end of the regular season they were ice-cold. No only did they knock off the defending Cup Champs, but they are currently manhandling the team that was supposed to be the Cup favorites. Considering what they've done and where they were a month ago,they have got to be the biggest suprise so far.

If you look back a month earlier, Dallas was red hot. We were all looking to claim the President's Cup until then (while Detroit was having their February funk). The March funk started one game after the big trade. They started getting the chemistry back in line the last half dozen games.

Chemistry seems to be A-OK now.

ETA: I abstained from voting since I am not 'from here'.

Edited by scottDFW

I would have to say Dallas because they had to go against the ducks and sharks. Pens didn't have to face that level of competition yet. I wouldn't say that Rangers are as bad as people claim they are, but they are not sharks or ducks by any stretch of imagination... Detroit was the favorite in both series coming in, so being 3 up is a surprise, but being on top isn't... Dallas for sure

Pittburgh has been the most impressive, because of how easily the Rangers dominated the Devils, and because many people picked New York to come out of the East.

The Sharks struggled against Calgary, and I expected us to sweep the divealanche, so those 2 aren't really surprises at this point. When Dallas beat Anaheim, that was a bigger shocker than what they're doing now.

We should be worried about the Penguins, especially if they come out of the East playing a minimal amount of games, because that will make them more rested, and they're already a very young team.

the wings have impressed me since game 5 of the nashville series. I think nashville was much better defensively than most gave them credit for, and they had a hot goaltender. Beating a team with a hot goaltender is something the wings have struggled with in the past, and getting by one in the first round really impresses me.

Pittsburg doesn;t impress me at all. I've watched most of their games, and their defense is a joke. Fleury gives up a lot of easy goals; he makes some impressive saves, but he wouldn;t make it in the west. Ottawa was falling apart through out the second half of the season, so I wasn;t exactly impressed with that series. As for the rangers, they seem to be able to consistently find a way to shoot themselves in the foot. The goaltending in the east just doesn;t impress me. I'm not sure how pitt matches up with philli; with the habs i think pitt wins.

Dallas has been good. I feel that the sharks have really sucked though. Nabokov isn;t playing up to the level we all expect to see from him. They beat anahiem so i'll give them props for that. But the ducks were not anywhere as good as they were last year. they are not, as the all seeing barry the dumbass melrose says, "arguably the best team in the nhl." Turko has a god-awful record against the wings and i think that will play a factor. It would be nice if san jose could strech that series to 6 games though.

For me its the Stars. Dallas not only has had the hardest trip though the playoffs thus far, knocking out the defending stanley cup champs in six games, and man handling the highly ranked sharks team, but they have been highly undervalued. A stars team thats has only really been looking for a 1st round series win, is looking at a chance to advance to the WCF tonight.

Dallas' young defensive core, outside of Nisky, has been great. Grossman and Fistric have been huge, and adding Zubov back to the blue line has only made them better. Though Norstrom has shown his age at times (mainly during the ducks series), Robidas (highly underrated) has more than compensated for that. Trevor Daley has also played quite well. The Stars honestly seem like they have the best blue line going in the playoffs right now.

If that isn't enough, with all of the goalies left, no one can convince me otherwise that Marty Turco is not been the best goalie left in these playoffs. He hasn't had to stand on his head as much like last year against Vancouver, but he's been HUGE when he's needed to be. Turco, really only has one monkey left on his back, and thats winning in the Joe.

Now add the depth down the middle. Ribs, Mo, and Richards. There just ins't anything the ducks or the sharks have been able to do to compensate for that. Rirchards has been an amazing transaction so far, as he's been that guy to capitalize on the things that the stars haven't been able to in the years passed. (see halpern / jokinen). Lets not also forget Mike Ribiero has had 5 multi point games in the playoffs, and leads in assists, and if i'm not mistaken, is also the playoff point leader.

Now if you still aren't convinced here is the stat that says it all.

The Dallas Stars have OWNED the third period in the playoffs. They are out scoring teams 19 to 5. NINETENN to FIVE. That is riddiculous. They have been very comfortable in close games, and haven't had any problems finishing games in OT.

The Stars to me right now are a team that is rolling on all gears, and are playing the best hockey.

I'm impressed with Dallas. They match up well with those California teams. It will be interesting to see how they match with Detroit. I think Detroit was impressive against Nashville. The Colorado series looks good though they are riddled with injuries.

I think Pittsburgh goes to show how bad the Eastern Conference is. I think Pittsburgh is on par with Colorado only less experienced, maybe more passion.

I have a favor, can people please stop referring to this ducks team as anything but a shadow of the defending Stanley cup Champs.

Last year they were great, this year they had NO Offense!

Penner may not have played well in EDM, but he was sorely missed by ANA, Teemu probably would have been in great shape and made an even bigger impact on them, had he not missed 2/3 of the season. As the playoffs started it was like the end of pre-season for him (Same can be said for Floppa).

Dallas beating Ana this year was not a great feat, this team was drastically different, maybe not personnel wise, but as far as the on ice product this team was not as dangerous as last years. If they won it this year it was going to be on physical merits, as opposed to last year's team that was physical and talented. Macdonald, Penner gone. Teemu not in full shape, adding Weight (albeit to cut salary) hurt them by costing them Macdonanld, Schneider is a very good offensive defenseman, but that is all that he is.

Beating them was an accomplishment, but it is not like they took a time machine and beat the SAME team, yes it is the same franchise, but not the same team. For some reason Burke thought he could win with NO OFFENSE!!

I think Dallas is a good club, but not superior. I wasn't truly impressed by the Sharkies during the Regular season until the very end. The east doesn't impress me at all, though the Pens have yet to lose a playoff game, I still don't think they can hold a candle to The Wings. My choice is easy..Red Wings all the way....................my opinion is somewhat bias, however, The truth is in the pudding, they are rolling right now and I don't think anyone in either conference can touch 'em if they keep it up !!

Crosby and Malkin have combined for 25 points in 7 games. What is an opposing coach to do? If you try to shut down one guy, the other is going to burn you.

You put Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Holmstrom/Lids and Rafalski out against Crosby, and play Franzen's line with Stuart and Kronwall against Malkin.

That's all.

You put Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Holmstrom/Lids and Rafalski out against Crosby, and play Franzen's line with Stuart and Kronwall against Malkin.

That's all.

Sounds like a winning combination to me.....................Play smart play hard and dominate like all the others.

I was little surprised how Dallas played well in their first game of playoff. So... I'm not totally surprised that they are 3-0 against Sharks. I'm surprised, though, how Sharks are again no show this year. Man... those guys really need a true leader. And Stars' ability to stay poised and come back in 3rd period is very impressive.

Pitt did surprised me a bit. No I didn't think Ottawa could handle Pitt but I thought NYR would make a decent match out of it. Malkin is a lethal lethal man. They have a very smart and good leader in Crosby and although I haven't watched any of eastern games more than 10 min, I think Pitt will have an easy road to SC final like Sens last year (and get dominated by Wings much same way ;) )

San Jose has looked like a pee-wee caliber team, so I take Dallas out of the mix. Detroit has been great, some of the best hockey of the year. But the Penguins are the surprise for me, they play a similar game to us. If both teams are lucky enough to make the finals, it will be a helluva series. My money will be on the Wings because, well you know, but otherwise, it's very even.

I can't go with Dallas because San Jose just looks so unbelievably unimpressive. Detroit and Pittsburgh are pretty close, but I'll have to go with Pittsburgh because I initially thought New york would take them 7 games or even beat them. I knew the Redwings would rape the avs with a big black rubber fist, so a sweep is not really a surprise for me. Who would have expected that Detroit would make it to the conference finals without having to play SJ or ANA?

I can't go with Dallas because San Jose just looks so unbelievably unimpressive. Detroit and Pittsburgh are pretty close, but I'll have to go with Pittsburgh because I initially thought New york would take them 7 games or even beat them. I knew the Redwings would rape the avs with a big black rubber fist, so a sweep is not really a surprise for me. Who would have expected that Detroit would make it to the conference finals without having to play SJ or ANA?

OR Calgary

The road has been paved for the Wings, I am not saying they won't slip or stumble along the way, but....

The first series was in Nashville not a lot of travel, last years first round opponent Calgary lots of travel and a physical series.

Plus the first series had plenty of days off worked into it, they never played back to back.

This second series is against a team that is not very physical, has a coach who is more prone to playoff failure than success, a "Sick" netminder, I think all but 2-3 goals were not his fault at all and I would say that close to 60% of the wings goals were either unstoppable or would require a great save. Colorado not that much travel, but there is the thin air theory.

Last year's second round series in San Jose, very physical series with a ton of travel against a very hot goaltender.

This year it looks like the WCF will be with Dallas (still could change I know) but again significantly less travel, significantly less physical play than any of last years opponents. Compared to Anaheim last year. very physical team lots of travel.

Plus every series last year went deep, they played a lot of games, I think if I remember correctly they played almost as many games as Ott did total and they made it to the SCF.

This year the first round was 6 but this round appears to be at most 2 games away from over (appearances can be deceiving!)

Then you look at how the seasons ended, this year everyone coming off of the injured list before the playoffs, both goalies were playing well, when healthy.

Last year Kronner was hurt before the post season and Schneids got injured in the second round.

my vote goes to Pittsburgh.

they're the only team left that really scares me between the Wings and the Cup.

i dunno if the Wings defense/Penalty Kill could handle Crosby/Malkin/Hossa/Sykora/Gonchar

OR Calgary

The road has been paved for the Wings, I am not saying they won't slip or stumble along the way, but....

The first series was in Nashville not a lot of travel, last years first round opponent Calgary lots of travel and a physical series.

Plus the first series had plenty of days off worked into it, they never played back to back.

This second series is against a team that is not very physical, has a coach who is more prone to playoff failure than success, a "Sick" netminder, I think all but 2-3 goals were not his fault at all and I would say that close to 60% of the wings goals were either unstoppable or would require a great save. Colorado not that much travel, but there is the thin air theory.

Last year's second round series in San Jose, very physical series with a ton of travel against a very hot goaltender.

This year it looks like the WCF will be with Dallas (still could change I know) but again significantly less travel, significantly less physical play than any of last years opponents. Compared to Anaheim last year. very physical team lots of travel.

Plus every series last year went deep, they played a lot of games, I think if I remember correctly they played almost as many games as Ott did total and they made it to the SCF.

This year the first round was 6 but this round appears to be at most 2 games away from over (appearances can be deceiving!)

Then you look at how the seasons ended, this year everyone coming off of the injured list before the playoffs, both goalies were playing well, when healthy.

Last year Kronner was hurt before the post season and Schneids got injured in the second round.

I've been thinking the same thing about how fortunate we are as compared to last year. One other thing to add is that not only have our top guys been healthy, but the other teams' top guys have been hurt.

Also, the calls have gone our way so far in the playoffs, especially early in the Nashville series.

my vote goes to Pittsburgh.

they're the only team left that really scares me between the Wings and the Cup.

i dunno if the Wings defense/Penalty Kill could handle Crosby/Malkin/Hossa/Sykora/Gonchar

Even though both Anaheim and SJ sucked, there has to be something about this Dallas team that got them this far. I don't care if it was Phoenix who made the playoffs and beat these two teams, if they got through those two I think they certainly have a chance at beating us. We can't let up at all. I can just see the headlines if we get to the cup finals and beat out a team like Philly. We would get no credit for beating Nashville, Colorado, Dallas and Philly as at the begining of the playoffs these were not thought to be the strongest teams, but as I said before you have to win to get here, so how bad can they really be?

I can't fathom how anyone can think Dallas isn't the clear choice. The Rags are playing like shear garbage, and the Wings are doing well against a weaker opponent. Dallas on the other hand is handing it to the #2 seed in the NHL.

Time to take off the glasses....Dallas is the most impressive 3-0 series leader right now. That doesn't mean they'll win this or next round, though. :D

Exactly.

Dallas took out the defending Cup champions and now are up 3-0 on a very talented though admittedly underacheiving Sharks team without the benefit of home ice in either series or Zubov for most of the way.

Ottawa would have missed the playoffs if the season was a week longer. The Rangers are underperforming like the Sharks, but aren't in the Sharks' league if both perform to potential. So no, not the Pens.

The Wings are taking care of business, but Dallas has clearly had the tougher road.

Even though both Anaheim and SJ sucked, there has to be something about this Dallas team that got them this far. I don't care if it was Phoenix who made the playoffs and beat these two teams, if they got through those two I think they certainly have a chance at beating us. We can't let up at all. I can just see the headlines if we get to the cup finals and beat out a team like Philly. We would get no credit for beating Nashville, Colorado, Dallas and Philly as at the begining of the playoffs these were not thought to be the strongest teams, but as I said before you have to win to get here, so how bad can they really be?

No one is saying they aren't good/great/successful teams, but the question who is the most impressive!

I may be wrong but that was my take.

Dallas hands down. They've had the most difficult schedule, and they're still keeping up with everyone else in the postseason.

Dallas knocks off Ducks and Sharks (pending)

Pens knock off Sens and Rangers (pending)

Wings knock off Preds and Avs (pending)

Yes, in the postseason everything changes, but I would much rather verse an unmotivated Sens team and Rangers, or hungry Preds and Avs teams than take consecutive series against the Ducks and Sharks.

Got to be Dallas, they had to start on the road and play the healthiest and strongest team.

I am serriously disapointed in the Rangers who I thought would win the series.

The Wings have owned the Avs this year and alot of that has to do with them being a flawed team.

Crosby and Malkin have combined for 25 points in 7 games. What is an opposing coach to do? If you try to shut down one guy, the other is going to burn you.

I'm shocked, absolutely shocked that a St. Mary's student is a Crosby fan. They're just so rare in Halifax. :ph34r:

Seriously- did you see the game last night? Therrien couldn't trust Crosby or Malkin on the pk through the second period. The pens taking stupid penalties took Crosby and Malkin right out of the game in the second period (obviously- that doesn't include the pp at like 17:00 of the second or somewhere around there). That's to be expected when your star forwards aren't among your 6 best defensive forwards. Note that either Malkin or Crosby is on the ice for every single even strength NY goal. Obviously that's partially effected by the fact that those two are on the ice in some combination for like 40 mins of every game, but the point is the Pens are vulnerable to a team that can shut them down at the same time as it's generating scoring chances with that same shut-down unit. Now- of course you can say that about near anyone.

My point is this- the Wings are deep, deep, deep in the capacity to shut a team down. The Rags have played rotten so far- and the Sens were an absolute joke in the first round- the fact that people praised Flurry so much made me laugh. (he did drop 4 goals in 24 shots in the first game against the Rags) He was being called the best tender of the first round when he hardly deserved it- Turco was an absolute monster.

The Pens still suffer from the same affliction they did last round- emotional vulnerability. It's amazing that people praise their amazing ability to withstand the heart-breaking loss of being behind in the first game against NY. I'll say this- crack Flurry early and shake the Pens confidence in him and they fall apart around him. If NY hadn't pissed their first game's dominant lead away the Pens would be on the brink of death right now- they're just not emotionally strong yet. They almost play like a team full of young 1st round draft picks (imagine that!). Hell- I'd respect them more if they didn't get full out blown every ten seconds on TSN.

All these comments aren't directed towards you, and we all know the Pens have a great team, but I'm sick of hearing the Canadian media slobber all over Crosby's jockstrap. I watched him play from freaking adam hockey up- I'm aware that he's good and that he's not Ovetchkin.

Feel free to quote stats at me- I don't really care because I'm well aware of all of them. I know the Pens are playing well, but I'm not going to be impressed until they face a modicum of adversity in these playoffs.

EDIT:

I've watched every Dallas game in the playoffs so far and they've impressed me the most. They're getting amazing play out of 22 players a night and Turco's been a monster. The only vulnerability I see is denying them PP chances and wearing their young dmen out with crisp puck cycling.

Edited by Drake_Marcus