• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest MrSandMan

Gary Roberts the spark Pens need?

Rate this topic

Guest MrSandMan

Just wanted to hear you thoughts? I don't know much about this guy... Is he an impact player, the saviour to Pens demise?

Thoughts?

Edited by MrSandMan

he's playing on the 4th line ... he's not a fighter, and i can't picture him flying all over the rink laying the body on people ... what is he going to do to suddenly spark the pens? i'm not saying 4th line guys don't have an impact, but i would guess he brings more of a calming influence in the ice and in the locker room ...

Gary Roberts hasn't been an impact player since Calgary. He was once the best power forward in the game; ahead of guys like Cam Neely, Kevin Stevens, and Brendan Shanahan.

But now, he is Pittsburgh's LW version of Chris Chelios; a once-great player who now is nothing more than a depth player who provides some grit and leadership, but not much else.

Gary Roberts hasn't been an impact player since Calgary. He was once the best power forward in the game; ahead of guys like Cam Neely, Kevin Stevens, and Brendan Shanahan.

But now, he is Pittsburgh's LW version of Chris Chelios; a once-great player who now is nothing more than a depth player who provides some grit and leadership, but not much else.

Hasnt been good since Calgary? Have you watched the guy play? He was an absolute beast with Toronto, and has been great with Pittsburgh. I love Cheli, but Roberts impact is much more then Chelis.

Haven't seen too much of him in recent years but what he'll bring, if anything, is more ecclesiastical (correct use of this word??) qualities. Just like Obi-wan in Star Wars after Darth Vader kills him and he becomes a ghost, he can't do s*** by himself but but Luke can get guidance from him. Luke would be Crosby I guess...

Hasnt been good since Calgary? Have you watched the guy play? He was an absolute beast with Toronto, and has been great with Pittsburgh. I love Cheli, but Roberts impact is much more then Chelis.

Gary Roberts had 50+ points once in Toronto; 53 points in 82 games on the first line. That's a decent second liner, not an impact player. By contrast, in 1992-93, he scored 38 goals and 79 points in 58 games. 1992-93 was an 84-game schedule...if you project his numbers out, it works out to 55 goals and 59 assists, for 114 points. Such numbers would have tied him with Mats Sundin for 11th in NHL scoring. He wasn't nearly that good offensively when he actually played with Sundin. In Toronto, as compared to in Calgary, Roberts' defensive game was also worse...and due in part to a severe back injury that nearly ended his career in the mid 90s, his physical game was greatly diminished. Gary Roberts was one of the ten best hockey players in the world at his best; with Toronto, it is a stretch to say he was one of the ten best players playing home games within 200 miles of the city.

Usually, "impact player" refers to the kind of guy who can and does on many nights determine the outcome of a game by himself. Someone like Z, Dats, Crosby, Malkin, Lidstrom. Not someone like Mikael Samuelsson, who might have a big game now and then but can't really be counted on for consistent, reliable production on a regular basis. That's what Roberts was in Toronto; he was a top-six forward who scored some points, but disappeared for long stretches as well.

Guest Crymson

We should all panic because, despite the fact that Therrien saw fit to make him a healthy scratch in game one, Roberts is clearly a monster on skates and a force of nature on the ice.

Uhm, no.

Edited by Crymson

Gary Roberts lives to play in the playoffs. He'll be beyond fired up.

He doesn't score like he used to, but he's fearless and has a nose for the front of the net. Gary's also the kind of guy that has a keen sense of when his team needs a pick-me-up and can often provide it with a big hit. He's a leader.

Edited by MacK_Attack

Great role player. :thumbup:

He can score a little, even this late in his career. He singlehandedly changed the way the Calgary, and especially Toronto and Florida players incorporated fitness into their routines. He is known very much for bringing blenders into the dressing rooms and using protein powders and bars etc to give guys an extra boost in their training. He can come across as a little surly from time to time, but make no mistake he is a HUGE guy to have in your room, who gives his all and brings that veteran leadership.

Regardless, Pittsburgh simply will NOT deny us Cup #11 ... 3 more W's and Lord Stanley will return HOME!!! :rolleyes:

Gary Roberts had 50+ points once in Toronto; 53 points in 82 games on the first line. That's a decent second liner, not an impact player. By contrast, in 1992-93, he scored 38 goals and 79 points in 58 games. 1992-93 was an 84-game schedule...if you project his numbers out, it works out to 55 goals and 59 assists, for 114 points. Such numbers would have tied him with Mats Sundin for 11th in NHL scoring. He wasn't nearly that good offensively when he actually played with Sundin. In Toronto, as compared to in Calgary, Roberts' defensive game was also worse...and due in part to a severe back injury that nearly ended his career in the mid 90s, his physical game was greatly diminished. Gary Roberts was one of the ten best hockey players in the world at his best; with Toronto, it is a stretch to say he was one of the ten best players playing home games within 200 miles of the city.

Usually, "impact player" refers to the kind of guy who can and does on many nights determine the outcome of a game by himself. Someone like Z, Dats, Crosby, Malkin, Lidstrom. Not someone like Mikael Samuelsson, who might have a big game now and then but can't really be counted on for consistent, reliable production on a regular basis. That's what Roberts was in Toronto; he was a top-six forward who scored some points, but disappeared for long stretches as well.

I definately agree that he isnt an impact player offensively, espicially the last couple of years. But he was one of the best hitters in the league when he played with Toronto. That's why I see him as an impact player, at the very least he will be a much better player then Laraque. But dont get me wrong, he wont have a big enough impact by himself to beat the Wings.

Great role player. :thumbup:

He can score a little, even this late in his career. He singlehandedly changed the way the Calgary, and especially Toronto and Florida players incorporated fitness into their routines. He is known very much for bringing blenders into the dressing rooms and using protein powders and bars etc to give guys an extra boost in their training. He can come across as a little surly from time to time, but make no mistake he is a HUGE guy to have in your room, who gives his all and brings that veteran leadership.

Gary Roberts has two-dozen egg whites a day via meals and protein shakes.

I definately agree that he isnt an impact player offensively, espicially the last couple of years. But he was one of the best hitters in the league when he played with Toronto. That's why I see him as an impact player, at the very least he will be a much better player then Laraque. But dont get me wrong, he wont have a big enough impact by himself to beat the Wings.

I thought his physicality was greatly diminished during his time in Toronto as compared to his time with Calgary. Not to say he was ineffective physically...but Gary Roberts with the Flames is best described as "how Toronto fans like to remember Wendel Clark."

Clark was a great player, and Toronto fans like to remember him as arguably the best goal scorer and the best hitter. While he was good at both...Roberts was top-three in the league in both departments in his prime. Honestly...I can't remember the last time I saw a true power winger as dominant as Roberts was in Calgary in both respects.

Although he's been very injury prone of late (groin and pneumonia in just this playoff run alone), Roberts is a wily vet and he'll definitely a positive influence in front of the net... and that's where he'll try to be a often as possible. Penguins lost a LOT of battles along the boards and the Red Wings did a fantastic job of tying up sticks and clearing loose pucks in front of Osgood in Game 1. Roberts -- when he does see the ice -- will be tasked in helping improve the Penguins' fortunes in those situations.

I'm not sure how much of an impact Roberts would have on a 4th line like that. To me, even though he's north of 40, that his skill set would be best utilized on a scoring line where he can clean up on some plays by the skilled players he shares the line with. If the Penguins are just looking for him to cycle the puck in the corner to bide time until one of the top two lines can get back on the ice it seems like a waste.

He was a beast for Toronto in the 01-02 playoffs but that was the last time he really dominated any playoff games. He brings a lot more leadership to the table than Laraque thats for sure.

A big check, tenacious puck pursuit, a well placed slash, or a timely goal - he's capable of all of them if healthy and determined...

Look, we have half a dozen Gary Roberts type players on our side - The only thing that concerns me is that this guy can be a loose cannon. Zetter and Dats, AND Lids need to keep their heads up tonight. Roberts can he a cheap shot artist.