• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aki

Holmstrom: Wings practicing as if he won't play

Rate this topic

I didn't hear them say "out for rest of playoffs". They reported "possible" torn groin or sports hernia. Will know more Friday.

He's obviously probably doubtful for Saturday, but "lower body injury" could mean anything. Anyways, Wings will need to step it up and win w/o him just like we did w/o Franzen for a few games...

So basically they just got their info from tsn lol

I'd almost prefer Cleary moved up. Holmstrom, while handling the puck more than he used to do, is basically a "park at the front and wait" guy. I think this works well w/ Pav and Hank because they tend to want to control the puck. Franzen, on the other hand, doesn't stay in front, shots from all over and is better suited to a situation where he is cycling around looking for opportunities. To be blunt, Holmstrom is a one trick pony (albeit a very good trick) and Franzen isn't. For that reason I'd rather have him producing on the second line and move someone like Cleary in front of the net for Pav and Hank. I dunno for sure...I haven't really thought it through....but that's my gut feeling.

does franzen move up if homer is out??

i sure hope so, that's what started his league wide domaination in the first place.

If Holmer is out, am I the only one who doesn't look at it as putting us in deep s***?

I mean, really when it comes down to it, yah he bugs the goalies alot, but since he came back from his injury, in my eyes, he hasn't been the same old Holmer which makes it quite obvious, he probabaly never healed completely and the the guy a couple posts above could be dead on. I tend to think it's true.

If we get the line of ZDMule, I am completely ok with Holmer being out, we won without Franzen and to me, he is more important than Holmer at this stage.

So basically they just got their info from tsn lol

The major sports stations in Detroit have some kind of press connection with all the teams. While they are not going to get any inside info either - they likely get it from within the Wings organization and NOT from tsn.....

I think its more of a, they saw him get hit and fell awkward, hes had a serious groin injury before, and he didn't return to play. To me, it all sounds like assumptions.

Did he not skate to the bench under his own power?

Trying something different this series, not getting negative till all the information is on the table. :paperbag3:

Edited by Blaayze

I think its more of a, they saw him get hit and fell awkward, hes had a serious groin injury before, and he didn't return to play. To me, it all sounds like assumptions.

Did he not skate to the bench under his own power?

Trying something different this series, not getting negative till all the information is on the table. :paperbag3:

with a groin injury you can skate under your own power quite easily...it just hurts to do so.

it was a trip THAT TIME!!!!

I think Versus calling it a "Pitch-fork move" was a more accurate interpretation. Gill should have gotten a penalty for pitchforking. :lol:

If Homer doesn't play, does that mean McCarty will play and can knock some heads around if necessary?

It means McCarty will probably be in the lineup and that guarantees the Pens 4 minutes in power play time as a result of his penalties.

You would have to think so. The only other choice would be Cleary. Either should do well.

IMO, no he doesn't.

Here's how I see the lines going down in the event Homer can't play tomorrow night:

Dats-Z-Cleary

Sammy-Filppula-Franzen

Maltby-Draper-Drake

Hudler-Helm-Mac/Downey (most likely Mac due to being more in game shape at this point)

Keep in mind that the Wings are playing on the road giving Pittsburgh the last change opportunity. If you put all you eggs in one basket the Pens will simply throw Staal's shutdown line against them.

Freep are reporting this morning that he will be good to go Saturday :)

YEAH BABY!

This is why I'm amazed why people still freak out over stupid-ass rumors posted on this site...Sort of like the one that said that Franzen was done for the year with a blood clot in his head lol- Oh, if I'm not mistaken, that one came from a "respectable source" at RWW.

YEAH BABY!

This is why I'm amazed why people still freak out over stupid-ass rumors posted on this site...Sort of like the one that said that Franzen was done for the year with a blood clot in his head lol- Oh, if I'm not mistaken, that one came from a "respectable source" at RWW.

Until we see a link, don't get excited man!!!

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008805300409

Encouraging, but not concrete...I doubt Homer will miss the game, if it were Fedorov or Yashin I'd be worried :mellow:

HOLMSTROM LIMPING: Tomas Holmstrom took a nasty spill late in Game 3 after being dumped in front of Pittsburgh's net by 6-foot-7, 250-pound defenseman Hal Gill. Holmstrom limped out of the arena, but the Wings are confident he'll be fine today.

"He felt OK this morning," Holland said. "Sometimes in the first 24-48 hours, you get significantly worse. He wasn't any worse today, so that's a good sign."

Teammates weren't overly concerned.

"They said he was limping out of the arena," Zetterberg said, "and I said he does that a lot of times."

Seeing Holmstrom wrapped up in ice bags is a common sight.

"It's unbelievable how he continues to take a beating from guys that are twice his size," Kris Draper said, "but he just continues to keep coming."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008805300409

Encouraging, but not concrete...I doubt Homer will miss the game, if it were Fedorov or Yashin I'd be worried :mellow:

Thanks for the info, but the article was written prior to 7am this morning and is speculation, although leaning towards playing is always good.

The earliest we'll know today for sure is by noon.

I couldn't find anything either.

If Holmstrom is unable to play, I think they should go with Abdelkader. Definitely not McCarty. I realize he's relatively inexperienced, having only played two NHL games thus far, but he's been with the team for this whole playoff run and you know he's salivating at the idea of playing in a Stanley Cup Final game with the team he cheered for growing up. Plus, fresh legs and a desire to hit anything wearing a black jersey? Yeah, I'll take it.

Oh, and he's performed in clutch situations before. 18.9 seconds left, game-winning goal, anyone? I was fortunate enough to witness that in person, so I may be a little biased about its significance, but can you find a better definition of clutch? You could make the argument that that was college and this the NHL, but I trust that'll translate as much as I trust McCarty will be a liability.

I'd love to see Abdelkader out there if Holmstrom can't play. He's a great player.

By the way, courtesy of TSN (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=10460)

"Detroit Red Wing forward Tomas Holmstrom will see the trainers today at practice, although he won't be on the ice. He has not yet been ruled out for Game 4 on Saturday night. Sources close to the Red Wings say he does not have a groin or sports hernia problem. All the Wings will say at this point is that he has a lower body injury."

Sounds like it may be something minor that cna be rehabbed back today and tomorrow afternoon.

Edited by Casey

IMO, no he doesn't.

Here's how I see the lines going down in the event Homer can't play tomorrow night:

Dats-Z-Cleary

Sammy-Filppula-Franzen

Maltby-Draper-Drake

Hudler-Helm-Mac/Downey (most likely Mac due to being more in game shape at this point)

Keep in mind that the Wings are playing on the road giving Pittsburgh the last change opportunity. If you put all you eggs in one basket the Pens will simply throw Staal's shutdown line against them.

I agree Cleary would be a good choice. I also agree that it makes sense to keep Franzen on the second line as he is having his way with the other team. Hopefully we'll see Homer in there.