• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
YoungGuns1340

Detroit Red Wings 2008 1st round pick?

Rate this topic

I think his point was that its not as important in the new NHL to drop the gloves. Look at the final,Laraque and McCarty hardly played.

McCarty only got in to get his name on the cup.

I also think it will be Karlsson, and that obviously hinges on whether or not he's still on the board. But he absolutely fits what the Red Wings do on Draft Day: he's a defenseman, he's Swedish, and pretty much undersized.

Not that they don't need to draft anymore goalies, because - like defense - it's a position that it never hurts to have enough depth, but this is a particularly weak year for goaltenders - and it may be the second year in a row that a goalie doesn't go until the second round.

Other players who may or may not be available at pick 30:

*Colten Teubert - D - Regina Pats

*Joe Colborne - LW - Camrose Kodiaks

*Evgeny Grachev - C - Yaroslavl

*Mattias Tedenby - LW - HV71

*Tyler Ennis - C - Medicine Hat Tigers

*Jake Gardiner - D - Minnetonka HS

*Aaron Ness - D - Roseau HS

*Greg Nemisz - C - Windsor Spitfires

*Jamie Arniel - C - Sarnia Sting

IMO a lot of teams will be targeting defensemen, and this is a particularly good year for them.

I would love to see them get a forward or goalie in the first round... maybe even move up a bit by trading a Lebda/Meech.

Ultimately I am content with whatever they do.

Just out of curiousity -- anyone still screaming we did not pick up Latendresse with either of our first two picks (Kindl and Abdelkader)? Despite Latendresse playing in the NHL, I still think Kindl and Abdelkader show more promise, and fit into the Wings system better.

IMO a lot of teams will be targeting defensemen, and this is a particularly good year for them.

I would love to see them get a forward or goalie in the first round... maybe even move up a bit by trading a Lebda/Meech.

Ultimately I am content with whatever they do.

Just out of curiousity -- anyone still screaming we did not pick up Latendresse with either of our first two picks (Kindl and Abdelkader)? Despite Latendresse playing in the NHL, I still think Kindl and Abdelkader show more promise, and fit into the Wings system better.

Your moving up scenario is very intriguing. As exciting (and possible) as it would be for the Wings to move up - by sweetening their picks with a depth defenseman, as you've mentioned, I think it's more likely the Wings move down to acquire more selections, for a couple reasons.

1) this is a very deep draft (another thing you've touched on), and teams will be hesitant to slide down unless the guy they're ABSOLUTELY sold on gets selected before they get a chance to.

2) three teams hold multiple first round picks, but they're far enough apart that their earlier picks are completely out of bounds, and their latter picks don't move the Wings up much (Buffalo 13/26; Los Angeles 2/28; Atlanta 3/29). One exception to this is Nashville (9/15), but I doubt the Wings would trade a player to a team they have to see 68 times a year.

3) the Wings only have six selections in this year's draft, which is fairly common for them (in fact, last year, they only made five picks). The Coyotes, on the other hand, have seven selections in the top 100.

I can't stand draft day on Wings' message boards. All anyone ever wants is 6'5 Canadian forwards. It's gotten really, really boring folks.

And for all that "weak year for X type players," that just draft talk. No one really knows.

that mock draft is strange though..

i just don't see us drafting 2 players from Germany, but a 5th Round Swedish GK is probably right on the money

I think we should go for a guy whos name is as crazy as Datsyuk's...he's gotta be good with a crazy name!

And as for all the people saying about fighting and blah blah...more fighting=more entertainment=more enjoyable hockey. Its just how it goes. Winning isnt everything tbh.

I think we should go for a guy whos name is as crazy as Datsyuk's...he's gotta be good with a crazy name!

And as for all the people saying about fighting and blah blah...more fighting=more entertainment=more enjoyable hockey. Its just how it goes. Winning isnt everything tbh.

In your opinion, yes but in my opinion I will take a team that barely ever retaliates and wins the cup over a team that fights a bunch and loses in the SCF!!!

So maybe instead of TBH you should have typed IMO!!

I have watched a local Junior Hockey team that had fights almost every game, but lost almost every game, it wasn't that entertaining to me, then they became a team that fought less and then won the QJMHL championship. That was way more entertaining in my book.

If the two can happen at the same time than yea that makes for some damn good hockey!!!

Now not for the first round but what do you guys think about Josh Brittain??? Hes 6'4" 210lbs plays left wing his favorite team is Detroit his favorite player is datsyuk and he can score. he had 28 goals 23 assists and 106 pim in 68 games last year for Kingston. and I think hell be a really good player down the road.

Edited by detroit19

Now not for the first round but what do you guys think about Josh Brittain??? Hes 6'4" 210lbs plays left wing his favorite team is Detroit his favorite player is datsyuk and he can score. he had 28 goals 21 assists and 106 pim in 68 games last year for Kingston. and I think hell be a really good player down the road.

He actually had 23 assists but those aren't exactly impressive numbers. The Frontenacs were pretty bad this year though.

He actually had 23 assists but those aren't exactly impressive numbers. The Frontenacs were pretty bad this year though.

There fixed it. And ya i know theyre not spectacular numbers but i was thinking since weve got time to develop him that he might turn out to be a pretty good player after awhile. I was thinking maybe he could be a matthias type.

There fixed it. And ya i know theyre not spectacular numbers but i was thinking since weve got time to develop him that he might turn out to be a pretty good player after awhile. I was thinking maybe he could be a matthias type.

Matthias is completely unproven, and could score 2 NHL goals over the next two seasons. You do realize this don't you?

Matthias is completely unproven, and could score 2 NHL goals over the next two seasons. You do realize this don't you?

well ya but so is every other player who hasnt played. and everyone is upset that we traded him for bertuzzi and hes looking like he could be really good. ya he could bust but i dont think he will. my main point with brittain is that if he develops right he could be a really good power forward down the road.