Guest mindfly

Sundin still doesn't know what the !@$% he's doing

Rate this topic

If true...

IN:

Demitra, Sundin

OUT:

Naslund, Morrison

I would argue Vancouver definitely is a better team than last year if it's true, just based on the movement of those four players. A healthy Mattias Ohlund (he missed chunks of last season injured and played through others injured) would also be a significant help.

If the Nucks do sign Sundin, and Ohlund can stay healthy, I can realistically see Vancouver competing for the division title. They and the Oilers would be the only team in the division that could claim to have improved in the offseason, and Edmonton's "improvement" is still questionable. Minnesota, a poor offensive team, lost two of their top three offensive forwards with no replacements. Vancouver would be upgrading their #3 and #4 options to players better offensively than their #1 option from last season.

If going from Naslund/Morrison to Demitra/Sundin adds 20 goals to Vancouver's total output, Vancouver wins the division. Of course, this would require Sundin to sign with Vancouver.

... and I actually thought the habs were going to snag him.

Maybe The Vancouver Luongos won't be as boring to wat.... Nah. :P

I take great satisfaction in being able to watch the Wings embarass the Canucks' 'rejuvenated' offense on their own ice come November

Been doing some drudging and it seems maybe the source is credible. Blow is a proper translation from Aftonbladet.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...l%3Den%26sa%3DG

There's quite a bit of buzz going around about this however it all comes solely from the Swedish newspaper's report. I'm starting to believe this signing was just leaked prematurely to the DN in Sweden and we'll be hearing all about it soon.

We'll see.

I was hoping he'd retire. That would make Lidstrom the likely captain of Team Sweden in 2010.

I remember him saying he would not play in the 2010 Olympics.

Vancouver was 3 points out of a playoff spot last year. Is Sundin not worth 3 points? If not, why did so many on here lobby for him to come here?

If he can help get them into the playoffs....we've all seen it enough here of what a hot goalie can do in the playoffs. Luongo is quite capable of getting hot at the right time. Don't be so quick to count them out.

Guest mindfly

wtf..:P move this to rumours then, and we'll see what happens laters

I actually started to doubt it when aftonbladet removed the content of its article on mats sundin, they kept only the headline and the picture of him...

Blame all this fuzz on that reporter, who weren't really swedish either, "Dusan Umicevic" sounds slavic to me.

Edited by mindfly

Still sounds like a rumor at this stage to me. "ready" for Vancouver doesn't equate to a signing...

Anyhow, he might as well stay in Toronto for that matter, the Nucks could easily land last in the NW division. If he's going to go to a losing team, he might as well stay with the Leafs....

Toronto doesn't really want him back. They have to show interest because he's been their heart and soul and it's good for PR, but they want to compete for the 1st overall pick, and Sundin won't allow them to do that, especially since he won't agree to a trade.

I was hoping he'd retire. That would make Lidstrom the likely captain of Team Sweden in 2010.

Sundin told Henrik Lundqvist last year that he was already done playing for Sweden, regardless of his NHL status.

To be honest, I kind of feel bad for the guy. Montreal, Vancouver, New York -- I'm sorry, but if he's in Cup-or-bust mode right now, he's almost definitely looking down the barrel of "bust" no matter which of his top suitors he sides with.

To be honest, I kind of feel bad for the guy. Montreal, Vancouver, New York -- I'm sorry, but if he's in Cup-or-bust mode right now, he's almost definitely looking down the barrel of "bust" no matter which of his top suitors he sides with.
Maybe. I still don't feel sorry for him though!

Guest Shoreline
but they want to compete for the 1st overall pick

Wow, what total bulls***. Toronto was a lock for the playoffs and immediate cup contenders the moment they signed future HOFer Jeff Finger.

Guest mindfly

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hock...ticle2940655.ab

Can't be arsed to translate it all, a little summary can be that he stated that another Olympic tournament is very far-fetched and not realistic at the moment, that the money does in fact still matter at age 37, says he got good offeres from toronto, montreal and vancouver, vancouver offer was obviously in its own class, money wise. And the only reason that he's waited so long is due to his motivation, which isn't at the top right now. Expect the earlierst answer next week but could wait until august.

Over&Out

http://www.dagensnyheter.se/DNet/jsp/polop...72&a=806514

Omg mats, what have you done, you won't get a stanley over there :/

won't even get close enough to even sniff a stanley, let alone win one probably more accurate

I knew of Sundin and followed him since nearly his rookie season.

The only ones who ever brought the Nucks close to a stanley - in fact they got to sniff it but not win it - was Bure, Linden, Mogilny, and the like

and after Bure and them left/were traded Vancouver was never the same then and never hardly got to sniff being close to the SCF again after that

Sundin spent some years with the Nords and then all this time with Toronto and he couldnt do what said guys did with the Nucks

If he couldnt do it with the Nords or the Leafs......

:blink:

but I know its all just rumor so far

but even still.

holy cow Batman.

Edited by Holmstrom96Screens

I was just looking at ESPN.com to see if there were any more details on Sundin signing with Vancouver, and they have a caption saying we are still in the mix for his services ... not sure how the hell that's even possible? It's a "rumor central" story and I don't subscribe so I can't read it, but I thought maybe someone else here does and can check it out ... here's the link:

link

or

rumor central