• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jawbreaker

The Most Overrated/Underrated Superstar

Rate this topic

Yeah, the fact that Crosby is a beast in the playoffs really makes him the ultimate asset if you ask me. Hart trophy, Art Ross trophy, Pearson... Out of any player in the NHL to have played a minimum of 3 seasons, Crosby does have the highest point per game average. Not overrated by any means, he was overrated before 05/06, things have changed.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Overrated - Gretzky (note this is not me denying his greatness... I'm also thinking more of his coaching as well)

Underrated - Sammy (even though I'm not a huge fan)

Guest GordieSid&Ted
Oh another name that comes to mind when I think overrated is Scott Gomez.

I think his salary is too much (but what does that really mean when most salaries are inflated) but seriously, he's a fantastic passer and IMHO, there isn't a more graceful, nor better player at carrying the puck from the defensive end across the attacking blueline at top speed.

You watch Gomez get into top gear and it is just a thing of beauty watching him skate. He's a fantastic player and IMO, he doesn't get alot of attention so aside from salary, not sure why he'd be overrated.

OVERRATED: IGINLA!!!

when being talked about on hockey shows here in canada, the above is mentioned as one of the best, if not THE best player in the league. all i can do when i hear such lies is laugh and turn the channel. what a load of bull. talented? yes. great player? yes. skills in the same league as hmmmm i don't know, let me see.... DATSYUK? HELL NO!!!! not even close! in fact i am ashamed to have even put datsyuk's name in the same discussion as iginla. and i guess for the same reasons you can say that crosby is overrated as well.

UNDERRATED: DATSYUK

in my opinion, based on skills alone (not talking about career stats), pavel datsyuk is the greatest player that has ever played the game of hockey! ever!

I hate to break it to you but I'd be very willing to bet fans of any other NHL team in general would agree that Morrow is underrated.

BTW, Chara is not underrated. He gets the correct amount of hype.

Morrow's only underrated if you don't step outside of the Red Wings world. He gets the correct amount of hype as well. Its just that he doesn't get it for doing flashy things - cause he doesn't do flashy things. Him, Doan, Smyth (sans when Smyth became a UFA, as almost all players become overrated on the open market), etc. Those guys will never get a ton of hype cause what they don't have the stats to overblow their play. But they get plenty of respect within the well-knowing hockey world.

Nash is overrated, however he did have 54 points in 54 games in the 05-06 season so injuries stopped his production that year. Nonetheless, still overrated.

I still think Z might be one of the most underrated players, I don't think he gets as much recognition as he should. Dats gets more than he does and you could argue Z is better than him (but I'm not going to since they are both on my team :beerbuddy: )

Hes actually become underrated. I used to hate the guy, buts hes filled out his game a lot under Hitchock and still puts up decent points having never been centered by anything more than a weak number two center.

He'd be at the top of my list for "wasted talent". Hes got a ton of it, but you can only do so much when you don't have a half-way decent playmaker to set you up.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
Nash is overrated, however he did have 54 points in 54 games in the 05-06 season so injuries stopped his production that year. Nonetheless, still overrated.

I still think Z might be one of the most underrated players, I don't think he gets as much recognition as he should. Dats gets more than he does and you could argue Z is better than him (but I'm not going to since they are both on my team :beerbuddy: )

The problem for Nash is that he's never, ever been on a prolific team with a great center. Yeah, Fedorov was there for a bit but Fedorov isn't a "great" offensive center anymore.

You put Nash on a better team with a true, legit #1 center and I think he has no problem ripping 40-50 goals in his sleep.

Calling him overrated b/c the Jackets don't surround him with guns like AO has in Washington, Semin, Backstrom, Green, etc... isn't fair. And thinking of him as anything other than a power forward, sniper isn't fair either. Nash will never be a setup man or score 100 points b/c he doesn't get the assists. He's a goal machine, that's all he's supposed to do. And no, 1 single player cannot carry a team as so-so as the Blue Jackets have been.

The BJ's were 29th in offense last year, 28th the year before, 28th again the year before, and now Hitch is firmly entrenched as their coach. A pure scorer like Nash is not going to thrive in that kind of environment when it comes to personal stats.

I don't think he's overrated simply b/c he's magical when paired with better players like in the world's when he had time with top liners like Thornton and Heatley.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

when being talked about on hockey shows here in canada, the above is mentioned as one of the best, if not THE best player in the league. all i can do when i hear such lies is laugh and turn the channel. what a load of bull. talented? yes. great player? yes. skills in the same league as hmmmm i don't know, let me see.... DATSYUK? HELL NO!!!! not even close! in fact i am ashamed to have even put datsyuk's name in the same discussion as iginla. and i guess for the same reasons you can say that crosby is overrated as well.

UNDERRATED: DATSYUK

in my opinion, based on skills alone (not talking about career stats), pavel datsyuk is the greatest player that has ever played the game of hockey! ever!

I don't know about ever but I have said he's the best all around player in the league currently. Better than AO or Sid. And you said it, its his entire skill package. He does most things better than everybody else and has very few weaknesses. Nobody is better with the puck, nobody has better vision, no setup man in the league is or can be as lethal a goal scorer if he wants to be, he has good speed, never panics with the puck, can play the body and is positionally as sound a player I've ever seen.

You don't watch him play much do you? The guy is equivalent to a 5-tool player in the MLB and very much a monster on the ice. I hardly think 98 points (27 plus/minus) in the regular season and 9 points in 7 games in the playoffs is overrated.

No way is Iginla overrated. If I had to pick one player to start a franchise around, it would probably be him. Big, strong, get offensive skills balanced with defensive responsibility, he is tough, fights, and he is a pretty darn good leader.

No way he is overrated.

You don't watch him play much do you? The guy is equivalent to a 5-tool player in the MLB and very much a monster on the ice. I hardly think 98 points (27 plus/minus) in the regular season and 9 points in 7 games in the playoffs is overrated.

i didn't say his stats are overrated. i said he as a player is overrated because his skills are hardly those of the best player in the world. btw, i watch him play plenty and i know what i'm talking about. when he has the puck on the rush, more often than not he will dump it in because he doesn't have the skills to go around a good defenseman. this makes iginla a smart player and as i've already said a good or even great player (due to his excellent shot) but not the best in the world. i mean c'mon, datsyuk could play the way iginla plays if he used a right handed stick (except shoot as good).

Morrow's only underrated if you don't step outside of the Red Wings world. He gets the correct amount of hype as well. Its just that he doesn't get it for doing flashy things - cause he doesn't do flashy things. Him, Doan, Smyth (sans when Smyth became a UFA, as almost all players become overrated on the open market), etc. Those guys will never get a ton of hype cause what they don't have the stats to overblow their play. But they get plenty of respect within the well-knowing hockey world.

It took me a minute to figure out what you meant by this. So, you're basically asserting that only Red Wings fans think he's underrated? I completely disagree that outside the Red Wings world Morrow gets the type of credit he deserves. In fact, its because of his stats that he's not given the correct amount of hype. The guy does so much right, works harder than anyone else on his team, leads by example and to top it off scores big-time goals when it counts, yet you never hear about him.

i didn't say his stats are overrated. i said he as a player is overrated because his skills are hardly those of the best player in the world. btw, i watch him play plenty and i know what i'm talking about. when he has the puck on the rush, more often than not he will dump it in because he doesn't have the skills to go around a good defenseman. this makes iginla a smart player and as i've already said a good or even great player (due to his excellent shot) but not the best in the world. i mean c'mon, datsyuk could play the way iginla plays if he used a right handed stick (except shoot as good).

:blink:

Maybe Iginla doesn't dangle the way Pavel does, but he doesn't need to with the way he shoots the puck. Iginla is all power. Look at his stats. Not to mention some of the guys he has fought in his career.

Jovanovski

Tootoo

Lecavelier

Kesler

Hatcher

Mitchell

Guest Shoreline
No way is Iginla overrated. If I had to pick one player to start a franchise around, it would probably be him. Big, strong, get offensive skills balanced with defensive responsibility, he is tough, fights, and he is a pretty darn good leader.

No way he is overrated.

I have to agree. I'd take Iginla over Hossa if the Wings had the chance to get both. Iginla is offensively sound, has skills which are underrated, a hell of a shot, a way to get it by the goalie, and he is certainly something the Wings sorely need this season -- some nastiness. There's a reason he's been up for the Hart several times. Maybe his puck handling skills, dipsy-doodles, and puck-snatching skills aren't as high as Datsyuk's, but he's a hard-nosed scorer that other teams do fear messing with. He's also defensively responsible, and is, in fact, a good team leader. Of course, many other Wings fans won't like him when our team is playing against him for an obvious reason.. he's a ***** and a half to play against.

Edited by Shoreline

look, all i am trying to say is that he is overrated because many consider him to be in the top 5 players in the nhl, and every time he goes on a scoring streak and gets something like 15 goals in 12 games or whatever, all of a sudden so called 'experts' are billing him as the best player in the league. that's all. i'm not saying he isn't a great player, i'm just saying he isn't the best or even in the top 5. and btw, what does it matter who he fought? have you all forgotten two years ago in the playoffs when he butt-ended hank in the back towards the end of game 5?

Wow, I don't know where to begin. I mean, I guess, I can begin with don't you think stats like those are correlated with the amount of skill a player has? One doesn't just magically accumulate that amount of points just by pure luck. Next, I will safely bet you are the only person in the world that thinks Iginila is overrated. I mean for someone who "watches him play plenty and knows what he's talking about" you would see that Iginila is, in fact, one of the best players in the NHL. I would also assume you know what a dump and chase is since you watch him so much, this obviously isn't the case.

And I'd also argue that Iginla is just as good defensively as Datsyuk and Hank.

Wow, I don't know where to begin. I mean, I guess, I can begin with don't you think stats like those are correlated with the amount of skill a player has? One doesn't just magically accumulate that amount of points just by pure luck. Next, I will safely bet you are the only person in the world that thinks Iginila is overrated. I mean for someone who "watches him play plenty and knows what he's talking about" you would see that Iginila is, in fact, one of the best players in the NHL. I would also assume you know what a dump and chase is since you watch him so much, this obviously isn't the case.

And I'd also argue that Iginla is just as good defensively as Datsyuk and Hank.

so basically you are agreeing with everything i said because it doesn't seem to me like you are reading my posts, just glancing over them. i said he is not THE BEST, i clearly said he is one of the best but NOT THE BEST

so basically you are agreeing with everything i said because it doesn't seem to me like you are reading my posts, just glancing over them. i said he is not THE BEST, i clearly said he is one of the best but NOT THE BEST

I agree with nothing you say, including the most idiotic statement of the day in Datysuk could play like Iginla IF HE FREAKING SHOT RIGHT HANDED. What sense does that make? *raises hand* Ummm, not one iota. And what do you have to freaking back that up? What you think you know?

Sooooo you think Iginla is one of the best BUT THINK HE IS FREAKING OVERRATED?!?!?!?

Quit while you are ahead.

I'm surprised it took this long for a Crosby is overrated comment to show up :rolleyes:

Seriously, how is he overrated? He's got roughly a 1.40 PPG average in the regular season and a 1.28 PPG average in the playoffs. He can score, he's a great playmaker and has the vision and hockey sense that only a few players have. And he's only going to get better.

If you're going to complain he's overmarketed or came into the league overhyped, that's true, and its not his fault. He whines too much? He's the captain, even Yzerman yapped to the refs. When you come into the league with expectations to break Gretzky's records, you're not going to live up to those.

What does he have to do for LGW to not consider him overrated? Walk on water, cure cancer?

NEVER COMPARE CROSBY TO YZERMAN!!!!!

Yzerman's point production (1st half of his career) and 2 way play (2nd half of his career) were great to say the least. His numbers will be surpassed and defensive skill will be matched but his leadership and character are beyond that of what a phenom player will ever be able to achieve.

Yzerman looked like he was going to kill the ref when he so called "yapped" at them. When you look at the great Captain Crosby it looks as though he might break into tears. I bet after the games he has a good cry where he looks back and tells himself, we would have won that game if Holmstrom was called for a penalty.

Stamkos is doing a very good job as he enters the league with such comparisons as Yzerman and other greats. As he was interviewed during the season, he never answered any questions about himself. When they were asked he answered with eye rolls and talk about his team. When asked about playing with Vinny he says "yeah that would be great if I make the team".

As for Crosby, there are ways to handle those questions without seaming like a huge dusche bag. He just doesn't seem to want to say anything that makes me think is a good person. He seems more like a villain than a Hero.

He is only 20 and should mature. I can't say the guy is a huge ******* because I would probably have a big ego and list of excuses if at 20, I captained a team to the Finals and lost when everyone expected me to be the second coming of Wayne and the Edmonton Oilers.

But NEVER COMPARE CROSBY TO YZERMAN. It is just disrespectful to Steve Yzerman and what he has done. The man is all about sacrifice, and I see nothing like that in Crosby.

I agree with nothing you say, including the most idiotic statement of the day in Datysuk could play like Iginla IF HE FREAKING SHOT RIGHT HANDED. What sense does that make? *raises hand* Ummm, not one iota. And what do you have to freaking back that up? What you think you know?

Sooooo you think Iginla is one of the best BUT THINK HE IS FREAKING OVERRATED?!?!?!?

Quit while you are ahead.

ok, i can see someone isn't familiar with the concept of overexaggerating. and like i said before, i don't think you are even reading my posts. i originally said that he is overrated because some experts on tv think he's the best player in the world. but whatever, we can at least agree that datsyuk is better and that dats is underrated, no?

i agree with the nash being overrated thing

living in a columbus market i see him play from time to time and im not at all sayin hes not very good but talk to some of the BJ's fans around here they will say hes the top 5 best foreward in the leagge

which he is NOT

idc if dats is his center sundin lecavlier (spelling) crosby any of these guys as a center i dont think the guy wll crack 90 points in his career

ok, i can see someone isn't familiar with the concept of overexaggerating. and like i said before, i don't think you are even reading my posts. i originally said that he is overrated because some experts on tv think he's the best player in the world. but whatever, we can at least agree that datsyuk is better and that dats is underrated, no?

I have read your posts, and it's hard to tell when one is exaggerating when you are using weightless information -including just agreeing with "some experts"- to try and back up your stance. You, however, haven't answered my questions, which I don't plan on you doing. Just because he doesn't play like Datsyuk does not mean he is overrated. Datysuk shouldn't even be in the conversation.

Datysuk is not underrated either. If it is commonly known in the hockey world that Hank and Datsyuk are one of the best, if not best, duos in hockey neither can be overrated.

Again, one doesn't accumlate what Iginla has by being overrated