• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
up2here

Holland's Focus Now On Chelios

Rate this topic

55 fan, you make a strong case. I agree with your point that Chelios is the best of the available candidates for the #8 spot.

Quincey doesn't have to have a 2-way contract to be sent down. 1-way, 2-way, 3-way simply means that they have different pay scales depending on what roster they're on. Damian Rhodes was on a 1-way (NHL) contract but was playing in the ECHL. I think Arturs Irbe was in the same situation.

I was aware that 2-way simply meant different pay. My line of thinking was that I had heard if he hadn't made the team (as in Wings) he would automatically be a UFA (whereas he's normally be RFA) and would be exposed to waivers.

I was wrong on this point. He just has to have a signed contract by the start of the season or that will happen. The type of contract doesn't matter.

Thanks for pointing this out to me (and for doing it nicely!).

Say what you want about Cheli's worth at his age... but $525,000 seems like a steal when we're paying 1.25 million for Lilja's non-existent physical presence and constant turnovers. If the question is whether or not Cheli (even in his older age) is worth the money, then there should be some serious thought about Lilja's worth. Is this not the same board that can end any argument with "Lilja's lazy and he sucks?" (He's not Lang, but he's close)

Keep Chelios out of loyalty, but also because for the money he is a better option than Lilja. With Lilja's skill level and salary he should be the one out the door in this trade, and Cheli still has something to offer for about half the price.

Guest CaliWingsNut
I'm not certain if we're watching the same Red Wings, but one could argue that Lilja is quite possibly our most consistent physical player out there on any given night (mind you there's no Kronwall style bang-ups with Lilja), but he will play the body, & is very willing to block shots - hell the guy is even our heavyweight :rolleyes:

Chelios isn't the player he was 10 plus years ago - especially in the physicality dept, & gets pushed around more, & more as time goes on by men much younger/bigger...I do admire his tenacity though, & his dedication is 2nd to none, but @ what stage does he call it quits? When does he step down to let the young guys from GR get their shot @ the big leagues?

I don't mind him as a #7/#8 guy (help out with mentoring our young Dmen), but giving him ice time for the sake of loyalty over guys whom are more capable is a bad move.

He's stated that Howe can keep the record for oldest player... so... within 5 years? heh. I would assume he intends to play this year, and likely hang it up next or year after. So I say he retires in 10-11 or 11-12 (10-11 if detroit were to repeat) and by retiring... I mean coaching.

No real harm in trying to re-sign Cheli, it is for pennies esentially and Chelios already knows the role he is going to be in not playing every night. He's not the Chelios of old (or young) but he is a freak of nature in terms of staying in shape and if anybody can still play with some productivity when he's 47, it is Chelios. This just solidifies depth on defense even more. I have no problems with this at all given the role Chelios will probably be in as a 7th or 8th defenseman.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

This will be his final season, and it will be a fun one.

You Chelios haters can kiss my ass. He's been just what our top-notch defense needs in terms of leadership, defensive-smarts and character.

He'll transition into a coaching role this year, unless Chicago offers him something better... and they may.

Lidstrom and Rafalski are good enough in terms of leadership along the Blueline.

This will be his final season, and it will be a fun one.

You Chelios haters can kiss my ass. He's been just what our top-notch defense needs in terms of leadership, defensive-smarts and character.

He'll transition into a coaching role this year, unless Chicago offers him something better... and they may.

If Chicago makes him a better offer I hope he takes it.

What does this have to do with Cheli ? :blink:

From the '02 playoffs: "I told Chelios he's finished and he should retire," Bertuzzi said. "I told him he just couldn't do it anymore. And he can't. He should pack it in. He's finished."

Chelios: "I'll outlast you!"

From the '02 playoffs: "I told Chelios he's finished and he should retire," Bertuzzi said. "I told him he just couldn't do it anymore. And he can't. He should pack it in. He's finished."

Chelios: "I'll outlast you!"

Oh, ok. :)

Lidstrom and Rafalski are good enough in terms of leadership along the Blueline.

I disagree. Lidstrom and Rafalski are good players on the blueline, but both of them are pretty quiet people, overall, and tend to lead by example, rather than vocally. Chelios, on the other hand, is one of the most vocal leaders in the lockerroom. He's not afraid to ***** someone out over a stupid play, or tell someone how do go about doing things differently. Yes, we have a lot of good leaders on this team, but imo, Chelios is one of the greatest, and for next to league minimum I think he's worth it. Especially if he's actually a better player on the ice than his competition.

I disagree. Lidstrom and Rafalski are good players on the blueline, but both of them are pretty quiet people, overall, and tend to lead by example, rather than vocally. Chelios, on the other hand, is one of the most vocal leaders in the lockerroom. He's not afraid to ***** someone out over a stupid play, or tell someone how do go about doing things differently. Yes, we have a lot of good leaders on this team, but imo, Chelios is one of the greatest, and for next to league minimum I think he's worth it. Especially if he's actually a better player on the ice than his competition.

Where exactly do you get this from?

Lids and Raf are great team leaders. With Cheli as #8, he can give the #5, 6, and 7 guys individual attention and instruction for improving their games. Lids and Raf will be playing their own game. With the minutes they log in a game, they don't need to be keeping an eye on the kids. Cheli will be in the press box watching unless people are injured, in which case he'll be on the ice with the least of the d-men and can be to them what he was to Lebda (heck, it may still be Lebda).

Saying Cheli is good as a leader is not taking anything away from Lids and Raf. It's adding an extra dimention to what they do. With Cheli as #8, we get it for cheap without having our kids that need playing time rotting in the press box.

Listen to any interview regarding Chelios. I honestly though at this stage it was common knowledge.

edit: sp

It should be at this point. Attention spans and memories are short these days...

... point is, he'll play in the second of back-to-back games, work the youngsters out, and keep our penalty kill accountable on the backend.

Lids and Raf are great team leaders. With Cheli as #8, he can give the #5, 6, and 7 guys individual attention and instruction for improving their games. Lids and Raf will be playing their own game. With the minutes they log in a game, they don't need to be keeping an eye on the kids. Cheli will be in the press box watching unless people are injured, in which case he'll be on the ice with the least of the d-men and can be to them what he was to Lebda (heck, it may still be Lebda).

Saying Cheli is good as a leader is not taking anything away from Lids and Raf. It's adding an extra dimention to what they do. With Cheli as #8, we get it for cheap without having our kids that need playing time rotting in the press box.

My point is the Red Wings will survive without Chelios

There is a reason why Lidstrom wears the "C"! It's because he is the best leader on the ice. How much time have you spent in the locker room in between periods?

Amen!

Not only survive, thrive!

I would hate the idea of trading someone away or losing them to waivers just to keep Cheli around as a #8 guy.

I'm sorry but someone with a Flyers symbol as their avatar doesn't get to weigh in on what the Wings should do about Chelios.

Right...and he spelled Steve Downie's name wrong right underneath it too! :D

I can't argue that point. They have survived without Howe, Yzerman, Sawchuck, Vladdie... and will survive without Lids, Hank, Dats, Ericsson... I can also survive without Windsor (the beverage, not the city), it's just not as pleasant.

There is a reason why Lidstrom wears the "C"! It's because he is the best leader on the ice. How much time have you spent in the locker room in between periods?

This is such a stupid comment, I don't even know where to begin.

I'm sorry but someone with a Flyers symbol as their avatar doesn't get to weigh in on what the Wings should do about Chelios.

Correct.

I can't argue that point. They have survived without Howe, Yzerman, Sawchuck, Vladdie... and will survive without Lids, Hank, Dats, Ericsson... I can also survive without Windsor (the beverage, not the city), it's just not as pleasant.

Nor can I survive without beer or wine. :P

Guest Dump-N-Thump

Man, that made an amazing amount of sense..

I am a big fan and watch 2 different hockey teams? So instantly i cant express my opinion? Interesting development we got going there.

*sigh*

Anyway i forgot what i was going to say thanks to Boosters ignorant statement.

although i dont agree with what dumpnthump said.

last i thought this was a message board. who are you to say who can and cannot post in this forum?

so does that mean MackAttack or DuckGuy cant post in this forum either?

your an idiot.

Edited by #19=Legend