• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Early reviews on Hossa

Rate this topic

I dont care if it's 4 games in or 40, your in the NHL you compete every night. And so far, I'm not impressed with Mr Hossa, I still remember the knocks on him before last year were that he gets un-interested at times and doesnt compete, but then in the playoffs he was Mr Amazing. I dont know what to think, hopefully he picks his play up.

Ok wait. I am not the world's biggest Hossa fan but from what I have seen the first 4 games, he is definitely competing. He has been one of the better players on the ice. He looks a little out of place but that's to be expected.

To say that he isn't competing...

Are you watching the same games that i am?

Hossa has thus far played ok not what we expected.

I think he may be on the wrong line.

He and Zetta would have more chemistry b/c they play different styles.

Dats and Hossa are too similar.

The only player that I think has looked really out of place is Ozzie.

No I do not think Ozzie is lazy and he sucks.

I don't agree. Hossa is more of a power forward, Dats is all finesse. I think Hossa is more like Hank.

That said, I'd put ZDH on the first line and Hossa with Flip and Mule on the 2nd line.

But I'll defer to Babs who know a lot more about it than us.

Ok wait. I am not the world's biggest Hossa fan but from what I have seen the first 4 games, he is definitely competing. He has been one of the better players on the ice. He looks a little out of place but that's to be expected.

Not that he isnt competing, everyone is if there out there. From what i've seen of Hossa, he can play harder. That's what I consider competing, how hard you playing. He's so talented, I just think if he went a little harder he could make chances out of nothing. That's how good he is.

I don't agree. Hossa is more of a power forward, Dats is all finesse. I think Hossa is more like Hank.

That said, I'd put ZDH on the first line and Hossa with Flip and Mule on the 2nd line.

I agree completely. I don't get how you can split up arguably the best line in hockey, but like you said, Babcock knows more than we do.

Guest Crymson
I agree completely. I don't get how you can split up arguably the best line in hockey, but like you said, Babcock knows more than we do.

It's a calculated risk.

I think we all miss the ZDH line because we know how good it was together. Like Babcock has said though before, keeping the Euro Twins apart gives the Red Wings more balance and helps to utilize their depth at forward. It may not look great through four games, but it makes the Red Wings a tougher team to play against as the season progresses. If Hossa doesn't click with Pavel over time, then it's a nice luxury to be able to go back to ZDH.

I am still of the opinion that Hossa compliments Datsyuk perfectly. It honestly would be a shame to have a player like Hossa and to have him play the wing with Val Filppula as his center. It's easy to get upset that the lines haven't clicked through four games, but it's far too early to make the claim that Hossa and Datsyuk aren't a good combination together.

* To clarify, I like Val Filppula before I get accused of bashing him.

I know this is kind of vague but to me Hossa's skating "style" is more like that of Filppula and Franzen. Their professionals and they should be able to skate with anybody, but Zetterberg had a way of anticipating when Datsyuk would steal the puck. Datsyuk and Zetterberg together were like magic mind readers..... these are intagibles that can not be measured or show up on any stat chart. The other night when Datsyuk stole the puck at the opponent's blue line I saw that Hossa kept going the other way and was not even in the play. Hossa was completely fooled or he yet has to learn to be ready for Datsyuk's fabulous puck stealing ability. To me that tells me a little about Hossa's skating and worrying so much about covering defensively, which is not all bad. But it also proves that Z and Datsyuk are the best two way players in the league. Again, it is early and all that is just timing and getting comfortable with who you play with, so hopefully there will be improvement.

Theres no reason why Babs can't try Hossa out on every centers Wing. If he hasn't clicked with Dats in a few games, stick him with Hank. If that doesnt work, try him with Flip. Stranger things have happened. Draper turned out to be a good fit for Datsyuk and Shanahan in 06...

I was actually just gonna ask you that same question, but I think you're missing the point D#1F was making. Hossa has looked good at times, and hes done a good job of back-checking and staying with his man, but theres so much more to this guy than whats been realized on the ice. Battling along the boards, protecting the puck, using his speed on a consistent basis, basically exterting more energy is what appears to be the problem here. Maybe hes used to leaving the dirty stuff to his linemates on the offense, but I've seen much more pure domination from this guy in other jerseys than hes offered with the Winged Wheel on his chest.

In terms of what we've all seen first-hand against the Wings - both with his regular season hattrick and his playoff performance - he's nowhere near that.

Guest Crymson

And now we see the shameless flip-flop.

Anyway, good @ Hossa. I believe in everyone on the team, besides Lilja.

And now we see the shameless flip-flop.

Anyway, good @ Hossa. I believe in everyone on the team, besides Lilja.

"Its only one game." I believe we had to wait 9 games before bashing Hossa, so it should only follow that we can praise him after 9 games of playing like a top liner.

But then of course, that would be reasonable.

Hossa has officially arrived. What an unbelievable play by Datsyuk to set-up the goal. That was an incredible move at the side of the net to get the pass to Hossa.

300th career goal is an overtime game winner. Not a bad time to score your first goal with the Red Wings.