• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest mindfly

Fedorov & Shanahan

Rate this topic

Guest GordieSid&Ted
Both were scapegoats! Nobody likes to be the scapegoats, So they left. Federov didn't want to play in detroit because the fans would bring up, that he wouldn't give it his all, and took nights off. When he wanted to play, he could hang with anyone. I think he had too many distractions in life. Shanny also left free willingly pobably because he was sick of the fans blaming him for early playoff exits and lack of playoff performances. You can score 40 goals in the regualar season, but if you don't show up in the playoffs. Then who cares? I don't think either had anything to do with money.

I've brought this up a million times but nobody ever latches onto it. Least of all Eva. During Fedorov's most brilliant days, his name was synonymous with selfish and prima donna.

For years I subscribed to the hockey news and most of the articles about Feds had something to do with him being the most talented guy but one of the worst when it came to heart and working hard.

He took shifts off. He took nights off. He just didn't elevate himself consistently enough given the talent he had.

One issue of THN that I never forgot had a giant image of Feds on the cover and the title read "THE ENIGMA OF SERGEI FEDOROV".

That's what he was. A riddle. A guy who had more talent than just about anybody but not the heart nor the work ethic to consistently be the best.

Guest mindfly

didn't fedorov have like a 20+million dollar season bonus included etc with wings.. thought i read that somewhere... now thats crazy money for a hockeyplayer.

It amazes me how many people are willing to go nuts on Fedorov for the way he left but give a free pass to Shanahan and others.

Fedorov never made his market value in Detroit. For the average salary of his contract in a given year, he never once was paid even close to what he was worth at the time. For all of you people who are so upset about his holdout in 1998...you realize that he was holding out for LESS THAN MARKET VALUE and the Wings wouldn't give it to him? He wanted a deal worth $5.5m per season, the Wings were offering $4.5m per season. The most comparable recent player signed was Joe Sakic, who had just signed a three year offer sheet with New York worth an average of $7m per season, all in guaranteed money. Fedorov ended up with a six year deal that was about $4.2m per season in guaranteed money, and $6.3m per year if he made all his performance bonuses, which he did. In other words; when Fedorov held out, it's not that the Wings didn't feel he was worth that much money; they just didn't want to pay him.

Fedorov agreed to a contract with the Wings of 5 years, $50m. When he showed up to sign, the deal presented was 4yr, $40m. Later, it was re-offered to 4yr, $38m.

Fedorov stated that he wanted a 5 year deal, and that the money was not the big deal. Had the Wings offered him 5 years, $38m he likely would have signed. Instead, they chose to push one of the best Red Wings ever out the door.

Eva, I hardly ever agree with you, but you saved me a lot of typing. It seems when someone hear something that isn't true about a player, it sticks. Then they pass it on to another person and they pass it on to another and so on. For someone so "lazy" and "un-passionate", he won multiple Selkes and accepted so much less money when he could have been making twice as much at times.

I still don't get how just about everyone lets Shanny off the hook for the way he left, when they continue to berate Fedorov. He, like every single "expert" in the hockey world, thought the Wings were going to be awful and possibly miss the playoffs, so he said "I'm going to give the reigns over to the young guys and move on". Yet just about everyone applauds him for his selflessness.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
Eva, I hardly ever agree with you, but you saved me a lot of typing. It seems when someone hear something that isn't true about a player, it sticks. Then they pass it on to another person and they pass it on to another and so on. For someone so "lazy" and "un-passionate", he won multiple Selkes and accepted so much less money when he could have been making twice as much at times.

I still don't get how just about everyone lets Shanny off the hook for the way he left, when they continue to berate Fedorov. He, like every single "expert" in the hockey world, thought the Wings were going to be awful and possibly miss the playoffs, so he said "I'm going to give the reigns over to the young guys and move on". Yet just about everyone applauds him for his selflessness.

That's pretty arrogant of you to think you know what Shanahan was thinking. Especially when he had a ******* public press conference where he said nothing of the sort that was negative about the team or gave any indication he though the team was going downhill.

He clearly stated, with the retirement of many players he played with, including Stevie, that the core of that group's time had passed on. Shanny probably also saw the writing on the wall that he didn't really fit into the Wings style, which was a turning into a youth movement that was focused on getting better as a skating team.

In Shanny's case, the Wings offered him good money. He just turned it down and left for the reason stated above. Those were his words. You claiming you know why he left and then claiming he left for the reasons you state, personally irks me off and makes me think you're a stupid dick.

Shanny didn't pull punches and he didn't mince his words. He manned up, sat in front of the cameras and said great things about the organization but felt it was time for him to move on.

Fedorov left us in a cloud of confusion. Whether it was 100% his fault, or 50% his fault or whatever doesn't matter. The way he left was not in the same fashion as how Shanny left.

As far as the money goes with Fedorov. The first time he signed the offer sheet with Carolina that was enough for me. The second time I give him some slack for because Holland did change the terms of the deal, and Fedorov did sign in Anaheim for the same money.

However, I don't fault Kenny for changing the deal. Fedorov wasn't worth the money on the original contract offer and i'll be damned if he was worth the money on the altered contract offer. Ken Holland knew how important term was going to be going forward with the cap in place.

People are crying for Feds b/c Holland changed the deal and blah, blah.....Feds was gonna get the same amount of money. Just over a different number of years.

So what it boils down to is that Fedorov LEFT the Detroit Red Wings because we'd only give him 4 years instead of 5, even though the money was the same.

If he wanted to be a Wing the option and the cash was their for him. He blew it and has sucked ever since he left. Frankly, he hasn't earned half of what he's been getting paid since he left.

He still got paid #1 center dollars even though he isn't a #1 center anymore. And really hasn't been since his 2nd season in Anaheim.

That's pretty arrogant of you to think you know what Shanahan was thinking. Especially when he had a ******* public press conference where he said nothing of the sort that was negative about the team or gave any indication he though the team was going downhill.

He clearly stated, with the retirement of many players he played with, including Stevie, that the core of that group's time had passed on. Shanny probably also saw the writing on the wall that he didn't really fit into the Wings style, which was a turning into a youth movement that was focused on getting better as a skating team.

In Shanny's case, the Wings offered him good money. He just turned it down and left for the reason stated above. Those were his words. You claiming you know why he left and then claiming he left for the reasons you state, personally irks me off and makes me think you're a stupid dick.

Shanny didn't pull punches and he didn't mince his words. He manned up, sat in front of the cameras and said great things about the organization but felt it was time for him to move on.

Fedorov left us in a cloud of confusion. Whether it was 100% his fault, or 50% his fault or whatever doesn't matter. The way he left was not in the same fashion as how Shanny left.

As far as the money goes with Fedorov. The first time he signed the offer sheet with Carolina that was enough for me. The second time I give him some slack for because Holland did change the terms of the deal, and Fedorov did sign in Anaheim for the same money.

However, I don't fault Kenny for changing the deal. Fedorov wasn't worth the money on the original contract offer and i'll be damned if he was worth the money on the altered contract offer. Ken Holland knew how important term was going to be going forward with the cap in place.

People are crying for Feds b/c Holland changed the deal and blah, blah.....Feds was gonna get the same amount of money. Just over a different number of years.

So what it boils down to is that Fedorov LEFT the Detroit Red Wings because we'd only give him 4 years instead of 5, even though the money was the same.

If he wanted to be a Wing the option and the cash was their for him. He blew it and has sucked ever since he left. Frankly, he hasn't earned half of what he's been getting paid since he left.

He still got paid #1 center dollars even though he isn't a #1 center anymore. And really hasn't been since his 2nd season in Anaheim.

You won't get #1 center for 4 millions these days. Plus, Fedorov has played as a defenseman in some games this year. Washington made a good deal. They did get a strong #2 - #3 center, or a top4 dman, veteran leadership, mentor for their young guys, and this deal will not screw them in the long-run.

You won't get #1 center for 4 millions these days. Plus, Fedorov has played as a defenseman in some games this year. Washington made a good deal. They did get a strong #2 - #3 center, or a top4 dman, veteran leadership, mentor for their young guys, and this deal will not screw them in the long-run.

Not to put words in GS&T's mouth but it seemed like he was more talking about the money he got paid in ANA and C-Bus, but I could be wrong!

didn't fedorov have like a 20+million dollar season bonus included etc with wings.. thought i read that somewhere... now thats crazy money for a hockeyplayer.

It was more around 14 million signing bonus and 12 million WCF bonus, plus his yearly low rate of 2 million for the next five years. He ended up recieving 28 Million that one year and he only palyed 1/4 of the year. He was a restricted free agent at the time and the Canes came up with a one of kind contract offer that the wings were forced to sign. I still curse Holland for not trading Fedorov in his last contract year. When everyone, including my self, who was a die hard fedorov fan, knew he didn't want to play in detroit anymore. So we lost him for nothing. The 14 and 12 Million may have been reversed, I can't recall because it was a long time ago. Either way that one hell of a yearly income for a hockey player in the late 90's

Not to put words in GS&T's mouth but it seemed like he was more talking about the money he got paid in ANA and C-Bus, but I could be wrong!

In the Quacks, and CBJ he got paid as #1 center indeed, but when he signed that contract he was a #1 center. But maybe I misunderstood GS&T, 'cos English is only my third language.

:thumbup:

Guest GordieSid&Ted

:clap:

You couldn't be more right old friend!

Holy personal attack batman. You're right, I'm a stupid dick. You can get off your knees and quit blowing Shanny now.

And yes, I did want fries with my order, thank you, but make sure I get light ice in that drink. I have cold sensitive teeth, sorry. =)

I don't get why some people are pissed at Shanny for leaving.

It was a necessary step in the Red Wings finding a new identity. And I'm guessing he new that.

Wether you think it was for noble or selfish reasons (though there's no evidence of the latter), he did this team a favor.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
In the Quacks, and CBJ he got paid as #1 center indeed, but when he signed that contract he was a #1 center. But maybe I misunderstood GS&T, 'cos English is only my third language.

With Anaheim and Columbus he may have been paid like a number 1 center. But he wasn't a #1 center.

Since Feds left Detroit he's had one fairly productive season, his first in Anaheim. Now, given the salary he got his first year in Anaheim, i'd still want my money back as he wasn't as good as his paycheck.

Essentially, 1 season with the Ducks, 3 with the Jackets and 23 games thus far with the Caps

80 games 31 goals, 65 points, -5

67 games, 12 goals, 42 points, -2

73 games, 18 goals, 42 points, -7

68 games, 11 goals, 41 points, -5

this year

5 games, 0 goals, 4 points, +6

It's been over 5 years since he left but with the lockout and the number of games he's missed to injury (he's nearly 40 people) his stats since leaving detroit only add up to about 3.5 seasons worth of hockey.

Take out the first year in Anaheim, which was his only really decent year outside detroit, and he's averaging about 14 goals and 42 points per year.

Last year, Fedorov was the 58th leading scorer among centers in the NHL. FIFTY EIGHT! And people are still clamoring for him to come back to Detroit.

He's been overpaid since he signed with Anaheim. I don't know what he's making in Washington but unless he turns things around offensively, he's still overpaid IMO.

With Anaheim and Columbus he may have been paid like a number 1 center. But he wasn't a #1 center.

Since Feds left Detroit he's had one fairly productive season, his first in Anaheim. Now, given the salary he got his first year in Anaheim, i'd still want my money back as he wasn't as good as his paycheck.

Essentially, 1 season with the Ducks, 3 with the Jackets and 23 games thus far with the Caps

80 games 31 goals, 65 points, -5

67 games, 12 goals, 42 points, -2

73 games, 18 goals, 42 points, -7

68 games, 11 goals, 41 points, -5

this year

5 games, 0 goals, 4 points, +6

It's been over 5 years since he left but with the lockout and the number of games he's missed to injury (he's nearly 40 people) his stats since leaving detroit only add up to about 3.5 seasons worth of hockey.

Take out the first year in Anaheim, which was his only really decent year outside detroit, and he's averaging about 14 goals and 42 points per year.

Last year, Fedorov was the 58th leading scorer among centers in the NHL. FIFTY EIGHT! And people are still clamoring for him to come back to Detroit.

He's been overpaid since he signed with Anaheim. I don't know what he's making in Washington but unless he turns things around offensively, he's still overpaid IMO.

I'm not telling that he was performing all those years as a #1 center. He wasn't. But when the Ducks signed him, he was a #1 center.

Some players do not perform after signing a big contract. That is the risk with those long-term deals. Look at Drury, he is playing on the third line. New team, new system.

Based on those 5 games Fedorov is not overpaid in Washington. We can talk about overpayment if he will be stuck on the third line, but if he's playing as a top4 dman then he is far from overpaid. Stuart is getting almost as much as Feds, but IMHO Feds is a better dman than Stuart. In July we all thought that Stuart for this price is a steal.

If feds had had the drive, gut and self sacrifice of a mid 90s Stevie Y, he would have been the wings best ever player....sadly he didn't and was unfavourably compared. He knew it, we knew it, and I'm sure it contributed to him leaving. The fans give him harder tme than Shanny partly because it was all a bit cloak and dagger from both sides, and he never really offered a full explanation of why he left. The big reason, though, is that when Shanny went, most of us knew the time was right, and it was better for all in the medium term. Feds, however, left at a time when we didn't want him to, and he had a much higher trade value, so we missed out more long term. As it turns out it worked out better for us than them, but we could still have done with the draft piks that trading them would have recouped!

Guest GordieSid&Ted
Holy personal attack batman. You're right, I'm a stupid dick. You can get off your knees and quit blowing Shanny now.

And yes, I did want fries with my order, thank you, but make sure I get light ice in that drink. I have cold sensitive teeth, sorry. =)

Has nothing to do with Shanny and everything to do with me having a personal distaste for morons who chime in and spread bad information on a subject they a) don't know what the f*** they're talking about or b) are too damned lazy to find out what happened.

Educate yourself and then you won't be a stupid anymore. You'll just be a dick.

:P

Has nothing to do with Shanny and everything to do with me having a personal distaste for morons who chime in and spread bad information on a subject they a) don't know what the f*** they're talking about or b) are too damned lazy to find out what happened.

Educate yourself and then you won't be a stupid anymore. You'll just be a dick.

:P

GS&T in an argument with someone?

Color me shocked :ph34r:

Fedorov turned down more money from Det and left for the ducks. He wanted to be closer and anna kournikova. it turn it helpped the wings out cuz we wouldn't have one of our key guys now. due to money!

Shanny thought it was time to move on, team was going younger

I think if Fedorov signed with us again he would have been bought out after the lockout. Thank god we didn't do that since LGW probably would have had to been shut down after that. :P

I think if Fedorov signed with us again he would have been bought out after the lockout. Thank god we didn't do that since LGW probably would have had to been shut down after that. :P

If Fedorov had returned and was making the same money he did in Anaheim, that means no Lang, Schneider probably doesn't return after the lockout, and Fedorov probably plays the point on the PP instead. Completely feasible.

Why does anyone switch employers?

More often than not money... Is a job/career for them... its entertainment for us. They have more at stake in the sport than we as fans do.

Edited by OsGOD

Why does anyone switch employers?

More often than not money... Is a job/career for them... its entertainment for us. They have more at stake in the sport than we as fans do.

It's wasn't a matter of money for either of these guys.

Thanks, though.

It's wasn't a matter of money for either of these guys.

Thanks, though.

Meh sure it was...

or are they (well one of them) playing for free since they left our team?

I don't get why some people are pissed at Shanny for leaving.

It was a necessary step in the Red Wings finding a new identity. And I'm guessing he new that.

Wether you think it was for noble or selfish reasons (though there's no evidence of the latter), he did this team a favor.

Yep.

And the difference of the biterness et al is that Shanahan left on "good" terms, Fedorov didn't.

I like Fedorov, but fans realy devoted to Fedorov cannot convince me otherwise that Fedorov didn't leave on bad terms. Whether he was to blame, or management was to ultimately blame, we will never fully know and I don't care to figure out who was to blame most/least in Fedorov leaving in a bittersweet fashion.

Shanahan knew it was time to move on at the time, while mgmt. did offer him another contract if I'm not mistaken he pretty much made it fairly clear, at least from what I read after the Wings got eliminated early by Edmonton, that he was sad to leave but knew it was time to pursue other opportunities, and there was never any major drama involved in this decision or Shanahan's career with the Wings.

Yep.

And the difference of the biterness et al is that Shanahan left on "good" terms, Fedorov didn't.

I like Fedorov, but fans realy devoted to Fedorov cannot convince me otherwise that Fedorov didn't leave on bad terms. Whether he was to blame, or management was to ultimately blame, we will never fully know and I don't care to figure out who was to blame most/least in Fedorov leaving in a bittersweet fashion.

Shanahan knew it was time to move on at the time, while mgmt. did offer him another contract if I'm not mistaken he pretty much made it fairly clear, at least from what I read after the Wings got eliminated early by Edmonton, that he was sad to leave but knew it was time to pursue other opportunities, and there was never any major drama involved in this decision or Shanahan's career with the Wings.

I guess I just interpret it differently.

First off, I don't hate Shanny.

But secondly, Fedorov WANTED to stay, and was shoved out the door by management with continually reducing offers. That said, Fedorov has said that he would have accepted the total value offered him in the final offer if it included a fifth year; meaning $38m over 5 years instead of $38m over 4 years. Fedorov kept negotiating with the Wings but the Wings were never willing to pony up the 5th year and said as much. It was not about money; it was about how long he could stay.

Shanahan rejected all attempts by the Wings to retain him and left for an identical deal with another team. It was about leaving.

People seem to get the two players' motivations mixed up due to personal hatred, national bias, etc. The facts are the Shanny is the one who left and never made any attempt to stay. Fedorov is the one who really tried to stay, and only left when it was painfully obvious the team didn't want him. Shanny just played the media and the fans better.