• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
The Mule

Red Wings place forward Darren McCarty on waivers

Rate this topic

As per TSN:

"The Detroit Red Wings placed forward Darren McCarty on waivers on Tuesday.

McCarty, 36, signed a one-year contract with the Wings in the offseason after re-joining the club last winter and helping lead the team to its fourth Stanley Cup in 11 years.

He returned to Detroit after stints with the American Hockey League's Grand Rapids Griffins and the International Hockey League's Flint Generals.

McCarty played for Detroit from 1993 to 2004, helping the team win Stanley Cups in 1997, 1998 and 2002. He scored one goal in 10 games this season."

Sorry should have phrased that better, I was just pondering outloud not asking you if you knew, if you knew I would have assumed you are A) a mind reader as he hasn't cleared waivers yet, and B) in the org because it just happened.

With fronz back and I think Dan back too there just isn't room on the roster.

If McCarty is assigned to Grand Rapids, or claimed by another team, we will need to call up a forward to fill the vacant spot on the fourth line. Cleary won't be ready. The only option with our current roster is to use Meech, but I doubt that's what the big guns have in mind.

F***ing figures.

Only guy on the team right now willing to scrap, and he gets waived. Sometimes it's just painful to be a Wings fan.

Hopefully, they'll call up Downey and prove me wrong.

What are you talking about? I'm sorry but McCarty is just awful.

Z, Dats, Hossa, Homer, Flip, Huds, Draper, Cleary, Kopecky, Samuellson, Franzen, Maltby are all substantially better players.

F***ing figures.

Only guy on the team right now willing to scrap, and he gets waived. Sometimes it's just painful to be a Wings fan.

Hopefully, they'll call up Downey and prove me wrong.

Didn't the same thing happen all of last season with Downey? Why is it so painful to be a fan of the Defending Stanley cup champs who are in 3rd place in the league right now, while playing relatively crappy hockey?

I don't find much pain in rooting for them at all.

What are you talking about? I'm sorry but McCarty is just awful.

Z, Dats, Hossa, Homer, Flip, Huds, Draper, Cleary, Kopecky, Samuellson, Franzen, Maltby are all substantially better players.

Who cares? This isn't the KHL. He can do some things that those guys can't do. If I have to explain what those things are then there's no point in arguing with you.

Didn't the same thing happen all of last season with Downey? Why is it so painful to be a fan of the Defending Stanley cup champs who are in 3rd place in the league right now, while playing relatively crappy hockey?

I don't find much pain in rooting for them at all.

The pain is that some of us actually enjoy fights (this isn't baseball :P), and Mac was the only one providing it this season.

His job is strictly to fight. If he can't skate well, can't score, can't walk and chew gum at the same time, it still doesn't matter to me. He's the only one doing anything remotely physical out there.

This team has too many guys not cutting it right now, and Mac isn't one of those guys. He's actually doing his job.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Um. McCarty isn't going anywhere, he's getting waived like Downey did last year. He'll be in the lineup on Thursday. So relax.

Heatodamus has a prediction!!!!! On the 18th day in the 12th month of the year of 2008, Darren McCarty will be waived again. OOoooohooohhhhh

They obviously are planning to bring someone up or insert Cleary back in the lineup... DMac will clear waivers and go back to GR.

I am bummed, because I feel like Mac has not been a liability at all. In fact, he is very responsible defensively and he even chipped in a goal. It also seemed like he was starting to get his fighting back into a groove. Last night's tilt was the best I have seen from him in a long, long time.

Unfortunately on this Wings team the only way you will ever have a true tough guy who can drop the gloves is if he can contribute.

That being said, Kops & Malts aren't exactly lighting it up. Kops is young and has some speed at least, but other than that, he is not that amazing either.

I'll post this a few times. Downey was waived 4 or 5 times last year and was never reassigned. This is about cap flexibility. Waiving someone does not mean they get reassigned to GR.

How does McCarty hinder our winning?

We can both win and fight, and from hearing the fans last night, they didn't seem to mind McCarty's actions against Stortini.

He doesn't, which is why he'll be in the lineup on Thursday. Breath GMR, try and realize the situation before overreacting. McCarty was waived on Oct 20th, he's waived again on November 18th. It's not a coincidence.

Thank God he's been put on waivers. Say all you want about needing a fighter, but McCarty has done nothing for us this year other than his measly one goal. He gets in usless fights which prove nothing. Just like Downie, the coaches must tell them to stay away from the puck at all costs, because everytime they do it seems they turn the puck over or fail to clear the zone. I'm glad he's going on waivers, maybe now we'll have room for a player worth keeping.