• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Deadmarsh

Quincey Article

Rate this topic

how so dude? quincey was never given a chance here. yes someone had to go but it should have been lebda IMO. I like meech and lilja but I see quincey as the better all around player and he is now finally proving it.

Quincey was never given a chance? Cry me a river. He had every chance to prove what he was all about. He played himself off the team by being invisible all pre-season long. I know. I was advocating to keep the guy during the off-season, then I started watching the pre-season games and wondering what the hell was wrong with the kid. Who knows. Maybe the pressure got to him. Maybe hes the type of guy that falls to pieces when everyones looking. God knows theres little expected from a guy who was picked off waivers and headed to one of the worst teams in the league.

Quincey is playing well - better than Meech or Lebda. Yes, thats a fact. But the Red Wings made an informed decision about the product on the ice. And frankly, having Quincey over anyone on this roster right now isnt going to make a damn bit of difference.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

Quincey was never given a chance? Cry me a river. He had every chance to prove what he was all about. He played himself off the team by being invisible all pre-season long. I know. I was advocating to keep the guy during the off-season, then I started watching the pre-season games and wondering what the hell was wrong with the kid. Who knows. Maybe the pressure got to him. Maybe hes the type of guy that falls to pieces when everyones looking. God knows theres little expected from a guy who was picked off waivers and headed to one of the worst teams in the league.

Quincey is playing well - better than Meech or Lebda. Yes, thats a fact. But the Red Wings made an informed decision about the product on the ice. And frankly, having Quincey over anyone on this roster right now isnt going to make a damn bit of difference.

have you even read the article?

I wouldn't call 13 games over 3 seasons much of a chance....

Edited by redwingfan19

have you even read the article?

I wouldn't call 13 games over 3 seasons much of a chance....

He had his chances.

So did Lebda and Lilja and Meech to play their way off the Red Wings roster.

Grand Rapids playing time over the past few seasons. And also, and I'll stress again, the time period where it was going to be apparent that a lower-tiered defenseman would have to be traded or waived if he didn't step up his play to fit into the Red Wings system.

Quincey didn't do enough to play his way on the Red Wings roster full time.

Lebda and Lilja and Meech didn't do enough to play their way off the Red Wings roster to be traded or waived.

Quincey may be playing better than the other lower-tiered defensemen right now. But given the time period to where somebody was going to be traded or waived, as well as previous playing time professionally and in the minors, he didn't step up his game to remain on the Wings. And it is a safe bet that even if he were on the Wings still now, he wouldn't be putting these numbers up since there still would be a logjam on defense and he'd either be a scratch or on the 3rd line, and the Kings defense just isn't as good.

I don't get why this is so difficult to understand.

Quincey definitely had his chances to stay with the Wings, and he didn't follow through. He didn't do enough to justify Lebda or Meech or Lilja being waived or traded.

I like the kid, hope he does well with his career, but the dismay of losing him versus the other lower-tiered defensemen is getting a little silly here.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Quincey had a very unimpressive training camp. Was management supposed to reward him for that effort (or lack thereof)? Also, you have to understand that he's getting much more ice time with the Kings, and that includes time on the PP. So of course his numbers are going to be better -- as is, I imagine, his motivation.

I wanted to see if people still cared.

Turns out they still do!

about Quincey? or about you? :P

I don't know that anyone's really whining about Quincey. At least I'm not. But as I've said, it's kind of a headscratcher as to how this kid couldn't beat out some of the guys on the team now. I'm not saying he'll be a Norris winner or anything but he's looked really good in LA, better than I think Lebda and Lilja would with those kind of minutes. And the thought of having some more size on the blueline is tempting, especially at Quincey's price.

I'm glad he's getting to play and is playing well. Like I said, I just have to wonder what went on that he couldn't get a spot here. Whether he had a Dan Cleary-like turnaround in attitude once he was picked off waivers, if the Wings missed his potential and needed to give him a better shot to see him flourish, or some other factor.

Either way it's good for the Kings. Their two best D-men are 18 and 23 years old.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

If you ask me, this is one of those cases where being a member of the big bad Red Wings isn't every players dream. I saw the pre-season games. Quincey was inivisible. His checks were weak and his offense was non-existant. If he can play like he is now, why wouldn't he have done it when he was playing for his career as a Red Wing? The easy answer is that he didn't want to.

You can wonder all you want why he didn't want to be on a roster that is built to win the Cup. But you can also wonder what kind of contract he can play his way up to as a #2-4 Dman on a young team. Quinceys not gonna have a cup next year, but by July 1st, he could have himself a contract extension some 5-6 times more than what hed be making as a #6/7 on this Wings team.

More than likely, Quincey read the writing on the wall, he knew that he wouldn't get Top 4 time (duh) and he knew that they weren't going to dump Lilja and Lebda regardless of how bad they were. Going to another team does help ones confidence at times... Im happy for him, hope he continues to do well in LA...

Quincey had a very unimpressive training camp. Was management supposed to reward him for that effort (or lack thereof)? Also, you have to understand that he's getting much more ice time with the Kings, and that includes time on the PP. So of course his numbers are going to be better -- as is, I imagine, his motivation.

It's not like Lebda, Lilja and Meech knocked anyones socks off during camp..... It doesnt matter, because Ville Leino was very good during camp and he still went down but players who are washed up get to stay...Helm should be here full time as well....

Even though he outplayed Meech and Lebda? Weren't they Red Wings defensive prospects?

11 points and +3 in 19 games, yet least amount of upside? Okay. :rolleyes:

He didn't outplay Meech or Lebda on the Wings. He's done it after the move to LA. All the power to him in LA- Q is a good guy and deserves a chance to get big minutes, but he'd never have gotten that chance in Detroit.

Guest Crymson
He didn't outplay Meech or Lebda on the Wings. He's done it after the move to LA. All the power to him in LA- Q is a good guy and deserves a chance to get big minutes, but he'd never have gotten that chance in Detroit.

Don't worry about it. Some people would rather spend their time pretending that that they knew he was better all along, instead of realizing that their current reasoning is entirely based on hindsight.

Don't worry about it. Some people would rather spend their time pretending that that they knew he was better all along, instead of realizing that their current reasoning is entirely based on hindsight.

In some cases thats true, but I play in a deep NHL Keeper League, in which I've had Quincey for almost 3 seasons, so I've actually paid attention to his career, including watching some Griffs games streaming online.... He wouldn't get Top 4 minutes in Detroit but good for him taking advantage of his situation in LA. This thread should be left at that....

How about you spend more time talking about hockey and less time policing people who dare say anything remotely critical about the Red Wings.

I see very few people in this thread who are claiming they knew better all along about Quincey.

Most people on here realize that Kyle wouldn't have been playing on the top 4 in Detroit and nowhere near the mins he is being given in LA. Hindsight is a great thing and it is all very well saying look at him now. End of the day is, that the kid was torn in staying and going to SoCal, he knew that he was heading back to GR if no one picked him up. I would say he may have been happy to do so just to stay in the Wings system. Yet he has started a new career with albeit a bottom feeder (at present) and he is flourishing in his new role. The kid is leading all D at LA in pts and +-, he is second on the team overall in +- and TOI. LA have gotten lucky by picking him up and so has he to the extent it has given him regular games in the NHL. I hope he continues to do well and keep's his current ratio going. Because if he does, he'll end the year with over 50pts and a +25 +-, now that would be an eye opener for all and sundry.

Quincey was especially unimpressive. It was almost as if he didn't want to be with the Wings -- whereas that clearly wasn't the case with the others.

My sentiments exactly. I watched Quincey closely in the pre-season, and you never would've known he was fighting for his career with the Red Wings. In my opinion - you're right - he really didn't want to be here. I think he wanted to have a bigger role in the NHL than he could earn with the Wings.

If we had've waived someone else there would be threads about how much Quincey sucks and asking why he wasn't waived because he was such a smouldering pile of turd in the preseason.

I love Quincey, but I cant believe he's the Kings 4th leading scoring, and out scoring Drew Doughty in less games. The Wings couldnt have kept him, everyone, including him knew it, and now he got his chance and is blossoming. No need to say what/if/but, or Holland is an idiot, or even Quincey sucked here so why bother, just be happy for him, and get over it. This isnt something to be mad about.

I love Quincey, but I cant believe he's the Kings 4th leading scoring, and out scoring Drew Doughty in less games. The Wings couldnt have kept him, everyone, including him knew it, and now he got his chance and is blossoming. No need to say what/if/but, or Holland is an idiot, or even Quincey sucked here so why bother, just be happy for him, and get over it. This isnt something to be mad about.

Agreed. Though when Lebda's playing soft in the corner, turning the puck over, and generally stinking it up back there, sometimes it's hard not to think of what could've been if Quincey could've cracked this lineup.

It'd be great in a season or two to have a couple defenseman Quincey and Ericsson's size in the lineup, especially because they use it a lot more than someone like Lillypads.

Always amazes me how much stock people put into pre-season.

You can disregard team performance in the preseason but not the performance of a player trying to crack the lineup. Quincey had played like a dozen games for Detroit over three seasons. If you think he was taking a stroll down the park, that's debatable but not the point. The point is he shouldn't have and you'd be kidding yourself Ericsson, Smith, Kindl and Meech were. When it comes to prospects you'd be stupid not to put stock into the preseason.

Edited by Doggy

I've seen Quincey play a heck of a lot of games out here in LA and I REALLY like him... but I have to disagree. The Wings are just too skilled and deep, letting go of Quincey was the right call... now he gets to bask in the sunshine and play 20 minutes a night. I'm sure he's not too distraught.

If we had've waived someone else there would be threads about how much Quincey sucks and asking why he wasn't waived because he was such a smouldering pile of turd in the preseason.

Ya think?

It is general nature to like the underdog or player that doesn't play as much a bit more, doesn't matter what the sport or the team is. Hence all the Quincey love, which I can understand. I can guarantee you though that if he would have cracked the lineup, eventually there would be people whining and moaning about his play or lack thereof like they do to plenty of other people, since people here are pretty good at doing that.

:clap:

Always amazes me how much stock people put into pre-season.

Like Doggy said, it's a case-by-case thing. A lot of stock was put into Quincey's training camp and preseason because he was fighting for a spot and because the Wings had to lose someone on the back end. The fact that he wasn't playing well and generally looked like he didn't even want to play in Motown anymore was a pretty big red flag, I'm sure. And that's not just taking training camp and the preseason into account; that's looking at his very impressive stint in the playoffs a couple seasons ago and saying, "This guy actually seems to have gotten worse." Which is never a good thing when you're dealing with young prospects who are supposed to be battling for roster spots.