• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Probie

Value of Jay Bouwmeester as a UFA

Rate this topic

I was thinking if this was last years ufa time, people would have been more willing to throw more money his way. Now compare to this year with the economy in the toilet, and rumoured cap space decreasing maybe next season and continuing to do so after words, teams might be more skeptical not to throw such huge long deals at him, or atleast most teams might, not to say people arent going to offer him lots of money though.

Considering all these things, what would teams on the open market this year be willing to throw at him? What lengths? $7mill 8 year contracts or more? I'm wondering how much this guy wants to win...so will he go to a team that offers big bucks whos sucks, or a little less money for a good team?

Id kill for him to be a wing, but with our financial constraints, it would be impossible. I'm wondering though if by some bad luck, both hossa and mule walk (huds stays) and there is enough $ would Bowm accept a Zetterburg type of deal, maybe with a bit more money over an extra year or so? Twelve years thirteen, hes twenty five so it he would be 37-38, with the last few seasons paying low amounts like Z's contract. Yes I know Holland would not let both Hossa dn Franzen go , and the event is unlikely...so this is just sorta thoretical.

What would Jbow get on the open market, and although its not likely to happen, what if Det could sign him what offer would he take from the wings? Would you guys feel comfy spending Z money on him? I think Z is a better player but Defense is an important position and Jbow brings size, speed, good defensive qualities, and offense, a unique combo.

Edited by Probie

i dont see the wings signing him at all. we just dont have enough cap space to do it. unless you get rid of some people it could work but this could mess up the chemistry in the locker room. i was shocked to see hossa sign here with such a tight cap. now with talk of signing both franzen and hossa i just dont see it happening unless he takes a HUGE discount.

as for how much i think he is worth... probably about 6-8 mill per year. just something the wings cannot afford.

Edited by Kevin182

i dont see the wings signing him at all. we just dont have enough cap space to do it. unless you get rid of some people it could work but this could mess up the chemistry in the locker room. i was shocked to see hossa sign here with such a tight cap. now with talk of signing both franzen and hossa i just dont see it happening unless he takes a HUGE discount.
Yes I said basically I dont see it happening, its sorta theoretical, a "what if" situation. The scenario I discussed above (which i said was not likely) would be two ufa forwards leaving detroit enabling the cap to sign. I'm just curious what his value is, and what he might and not might go for.

is he even worth that much? I mean I keep hearing his name, but his numbers arent great, hes a big guy, but, there are a lot of those out there...

The most the Wings could throw at Bouwmeester is about 6M, and that won't be enough to be competitve. And this would have to come with trading Kronwall, Stuart, and Filppula.

The only way the Wings have any shot at Bouwmeester is to trade for him at the deadline, and really work him into the organization as quickly as they can, treating him like a king, which *might* lead him to take a Zetterbergian contract. And of course the only way Bouwmeester is even traded to begin with means either 1) The Panthers are out of the playoffs, or see significant injuries that would likely cause them to fall out of the playoffs - right now either of those situations are unlikely or 2) They get a young Dman who could feasibly "replace" Bouwmeester so the Panthers don't lose any power down the stretch, plus likely a pick or prospect.

Essentially, the only way the Wings land Bouwmeester is to trade Kronwall, probably + their 1st, or Kronwall + one of our mid-level to top prospects at the deadline. Yes, its overpayment for a UFA, but the Panthers need Bouwmeester for their playoff run, even if its just one playoff round. The revenue for that franchise is greatly needed.

In my mind, this is what it would take to figure Bouwmeester into the Wings situation, if they added him at the deadline or during free agency:

1. Kronwall - Either traded for Bouwmeester at the deadline, traded for prospects/picks, or traded for a cheap, 2nd line forward.

2. Stuart traded for a pick. His NTC doesn't kick in until next year.

3. Filppula traded for picks or prospects, maybe packaged with Kronwall in exchange for a cheap 2nd line forward.

4. No regular 13th forward. Meech would have to handle both the 7th and 13th role.

Hudler(2.8) - Datsyuk(6.7) - Homer(2.25)

Leino(1) - Hank(6.08) - Franzen(3.7)

X(1.5) - Helm(.5) - Cleary(2.85)

Maltby(.88) - Draper(1.58) - Abdelkader(.85)

Bouwmeester (6.5) - Lidstrom(7.45)

Rafalski(6) - Ericsson(.9)

Lilja(1.2) - Lebda(.65)

Meech(.5)

Osgood(1.4)

Howard(.71)

Total: 56.5M, although if Detroit could somehow fashion a trade around any or all of Kronwall, Filppula, picks, prospects for Lupul(2.3), Frolov(2.9), M. Koivu(3.2), Wheeler(2.8), Zajac(RFA), etc, and cut payroll by 1M or so.

All in all, we have an incredible top 3, but our goaltending and offense might be suspect. Its really not worth it overall, and would take WAY too much work for Holland to even begin to consider it.

I'd love to see Holland sign trade Rafalski to sign Beau. That'd be a good looking top 6 and make me feel much more comfortable after Lidstrom retires.

Lidstrom - Bouwmeester

Kronwall - Stuart

Ericsson - Lilja

Raffi has an NTC. If he didn't have it, or was willing to waive it (but to who?), then it would be a no brainer to trade his ass and make space for Bouwmeester. But they'd still have to get Stuart and Filppula's money off the books as well.

I doubt Bouwmeester becomes a free agent. If Florida can't resign him, they'll deal him to somebody that will ink him to a long term deal. Players rarely end up as free agents before or during their prime.

To many what-ifs in this thread, the red wings have to stop trading away there younger players.... lang for Fleischmann...getting bertuzzi for Shawn Matthias. How well did they work out?? I would be pissed if they traded for a player that has a extremely good chance to leave at the end of the season unless you trading someone who has the possibility of leaving anyways.

I doubt Bouwmeester becomes a free agent. If Florida can't resign him, they'll deal him to somebody that will ink him to a long term deal. Players rarely end up as free agents before or during their prime.

I agree. He'll be this trade deadline's blockbuster deal, similar to Hossa's trade last season. There is no way they'll let him walk for nothing on July 1st. Some team is going to pay a hefty price for this kid. If it was possible, I'd trade any Wings' d-man aside from Lidstrom to get this guy.

7-8M, most likely. Whoever locks this kid up long-term is gunna be real happy, I've been watching him alot this year. Future multiple Norris winner for sure.

Agreed. I'd rather Bouwmeester than Hossa or Franzen.

He's a stud that would really anchor the D on this franchise for 10+ years.

Seriously- he's that good. There's a reason why every GM in the league will offer him the moon.

And how is bouwmeester so much better then Rafalski how many people have actually watched him play more then once or twice this season. Oh yah because the media says so it must be true ...sheeeeep

You must scout for the Leafs.