• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
titanium2

Pav's one liners

Rate this topic

I think my favorite has to be the whole awards show ceremony.

After winning the Selke: "I wanted speech longer but my English, short."

The Lady Byng: "When I come to first time I have list I forget because I'm nervous first time now and I have nothing."

Stanley Cup Party: "I remember going to the party, but I woke up at home... I have to ask my wife because I don't remember."

I'm sure a lot of people can relate to my experience when I got his autograph. It's always a different number when I hear other people's stories but after he signed my card he joked and smiled and said, "Good? 50 dollars." I was like, "...Wha?" He just laughed and said, "Joke, just joke."

It is usually hard when player's accents are so thick to get a grasp on their personality. But with Pavel, you can just tell he is a funny guy. I love listening to his interviews. He is hysterical.

When I got his autograph it was his rookie year and he spoke no english. He signed my puck D of 13. My cousin asked him to sign the picture to her and he just wrote his entire name: DATSYUK PAVEL, with the help of his interpretor. I felt so bad for him.

Edited by Wings_Rule_1010

I saw on Red Wings weekly tonight when they were talking about how you don't step on the winged wheel in the middle of the locker room carpet. The reporter made a joke, something to the effect of "So what happens if someone other than a player steps on the winged wheel?" Then the camera tilted down to show his shoes on the edge of the wheel.

They then showed Datsyuk who said "Wanna go outside?"

I just about died.

I just remembered a couple more.

"What did you do with the puck in which you scored your first goal?"

"I sold puck for three dollar."

He might not have meant this one as a joke but it was still funny.

"Who taught you those moves you use on the ice?"

"My daughter, I've seen how kids play."

This isn't Datsyuk, but there was a funny line Maltby threw out about Z once.

Z was asked if he's ever been in a fight. Maltby, overhearing the question, responds "Just with his sister."

In response, Z said "World Championship, with Malts. I kicked his ass."

It was pretty funny. :)

Oh, and here's another Datsyuk one I found.

"You see? I'm good guy. He play joke on me. He try lots of jokes. Sometimes, they're not good jokes."

- Pavel Datsyuk (during locker-room interview while line-mate Henrik Zetterberg is spraying him with water) April 2004

Edited by Ms_Hockey

From one of the first interviews he gave...

Q: Why did you want to play in the NHL?

A: Because my team in Russia fire me.

I cracked up when I read that.

And then there is the quote from when they went out with the police in Southern California last year. "Shoot first. Ask later who is alive."

I saw the interview on the logo. He said, "You want to try it? You have good insurance?"

My personal experiences have always been fun. I finally got to meet him in 2006 at training camp. I took a picture with me that a friend had taken of him signing a puck in Nashville (I have the picture on the wall next to my bed. The puck sits on a shelf above my bed). I said to him, "I don't know if you remember doing this, but you signed a puck for a friend of mine in Nashville."

"I do remember. And isn't that a nice picture?"

But it's not only his sense of humor that endears him. When asked how he felt after winning the Cup the first time, he said, "It is a feeling you cannot explain. Like seeing the sun coming up in the morning." How poetic.

Saw post-Cup stuff after game 6 on CBC on YouTube and they introduced all the players/coaches for the Wings and who their favorite player was going up.

Datsyuk said without any guilt whatsoever - "I don't have a favorite player." :P

I thought these were funny. These were from when he was playing in the Olympics.

Reporter: Has your broken finger caused you any touble?

Pavel: Yes. Now I can't pick my nose.

I like this one better though.

Reporter: How did you sleep your first night in Torino?

Datsyuk: First on my right side, then on my left side, then on my back.

:lol: God love him.

thread = :thumbup:

My personal favourite is from an article from over a year ago. Franzen had just joined a line with Pavel:

"Don't yell," said Datsyuk quietly. "'I know where you are."

perfect pavel. funny, but absolutely true. i love that quiet confidence. pavel rocks my face off.

Saw post-Cup stuff after game 6 on CBC on YouTube and they introduced all the players/coaches for the Wings and who their favorite player was going up.

Datsyuk said without any guilt whatsoever - "I don't have a favorite player." :P

0:20 :lol:

Datsyuk is very funny. There was a thread last year, with a bunch of his quotes, but I couldn't find it. This one was from this summer when he learned that he and Hank would be playing on seperate lines.

"My reaction? I start crying. I can't sleep two days."

When he was playing one on one with Trevor Thompson, Trevor said, "Let's see what you got." Pasha looked at him and said, "I don't have nothin'."

As to a favorite player growing up, although he didn't admit to it, it was actually Igor Larionov.

From "What it Means to be a Red Wing"...

"I had my first experience playing golf! I was so good I sent the ground flying everywhere."

"Henrik Zetterberg is a very good friend of mine. He's a good guy, he could only be better if he spoke Russian. Maybe he would consider changing countries?"

2 years ago I didn't think it would be possible for me to have a greater man-love for someone than the man-love I had for Zetterberg, but Pavs has taken it to a new level. Unbelievable skills, ferocious 2-way play and a personality to die for.

In a bizarre kind of way, the fact that his English isn't brilliant allows him to be even funnier - clearly the slightly geeky/awkward style works for him, and doing it in broken English makes it all the better. Sadly, the NHL and non-Detroit media haven't picked on him and his personality since they're too busy on their knees for Crosby and (to a lesser extent ) Ovechkin.

Whilst searching for a Datsyuk quote, I came across an awesome one from Sammy *points at SIG*

My favorite Datsyuk quote was after a game in March last year after their horrid February:

The interviewer asked: "March seems to be treating you better than February, what's the difference between these two months?"

Datsyuk: "You see, February only has 29 days and March has 31 days, big difference."