549 replies to this topic

#541 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

Huckleberry?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (Wingsallwin @ February 14, 2009 - 02:38PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
True, but Osgood is bad this season. According to the statistics, the Wings allowed almost the fewest shots against. And if Osgood's stats is one of the worst in the league, we should take Osgood seriously.

Technically, our defenses are not solid but we cannot just say our defenses should play better than now. I watched the game between the Stars and the Canucks yesterday and Stars defenses were brutal and also do Canucks defenses. But total goals were only 3. Each team shots around 30 shots and that is a lot.

Jason Labarbera made 31 saves out of 33 saves on that game Osgood made 22 saves out of 25. It is pretty big difference. I am not directly comparing two goalies' performances for only one game and not even also comparing both goalies each other. What I am saying is have you ever felt solid when Osgood is in the net this season? Can you really deny this fact?

I don't feel solid either way. When I see Osgood play I expect scoring chances out the ass. And it keeps happening. Every game he plays. Breakaways, open players in the slot, open lanes.

Osgood needs to play better. That is an obvious fact. But I see improvement. I don't see improvement on the defense, and there shouldn't be such a decline in our defense this year.

#542 j.hoop

j.hoop

i hate the flyers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE (Dominator2005 @ February 14, 2009 - 10:28AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why Osgood started 2 games in 2 days? I thought that it was pretty clear that Conklin is our # 1 goalie...

Osgood should have stop 3rd goal no matter what - that should be easy save...

it was the ex-wing curse ph34r.gif
“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” - Sophocles
Posted Image

This just in, Stevie gives Canada the Order of Yzerman. Country bows and feels unworthy.

#543 clutchngrab

clutchngrab

clutchngrab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (puckloo39 @ February 13, 2009 - 09:54PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am, however, seriously starting to wonder if a wicked witch put a spell on Ozzie which will not allow him to let in fewer than three goals. It's almost eerie. blink.gif

There are no spells, voodoo dolls, witchcraft or anything else at work here. I've watched Osgood for closely for some time and it comes down to mechanics. His positioning and rebound control are horrid this season. He's small in net, usually because he is too deep, he complains about bad bounces, again because he is either too deep to do anything or otherwise out of position. He let's in short-side and 5-hole goals all the freakin' time.

I'm not a hater just an observer. Goalies are notoriously up and down - all of them except for the truly elite like maybe Brodeur.

To state that past success is a necessary and sufficient qualification for future success is asinine - especially at the goaltender position.

Unless Osgood turns it around real fast here, I do not think we can afford to throw a couple few playoff games to give him the "benefit of the doubt". A growing body of evidence exists that refutes that strategy.

Edited by clutchngrab, 14 February 2009 - 04:07 PM.

Are you kidding? Block you? And miss watching you stumble around the forum looking for an argument like a dog sniffing butts? It would be like turning off a bad episode of Jerry Springer. You know you shouldn't be watching, but you just... can't... help... it...

#544 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (Doc Holiday @ February 14, 2009 - 02:20PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your homerism is showing.

Why should Osgood be blamed if the team plays harder when their backup is in net? Osgood can't change his teammates' play, and that was a huge factor in the loss last night.

But of course Osgood is at fault. He should have kept Chelios from making that blind pass straight to a Columbus player, and kept the defense from basically s***ting the bed in front of him.

Question: Who's backup goalie? So far Conklin is our NUMBER 1, NUMERO UNO, NUMÉRO UN... Conklin OUTPLAYED Osgood this season. You have to give some credit to Conklin. I can understand that you are HUGE fan of Osgood - that's fine - but please STOP LYING, Osgood is just BAD this season and that's it!
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#545 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:01 PM

Earlier this season osgood was giving up soft goals, but he also wasn't making any big saves. Last night he let in some soft goals but he also seemed to have made some big saves (I didn't watch the game, going by the highlights). It does seem he has improved the past couple games but that isn't the first time we've heard that. I'd rather have a 100% osgood than a 100% conklin so I say we give osgood the next few games and see how he does.

Edited by Z and D for the C, 14 February 2009 - 05:02 PM.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#546 Alberta Wings Fan

Alberta Wings Fan

Draftee

• 6 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:06 PM

Doc Holiday
Why should Osgood be blamed if the team plays harder when their backup is in net? Osgood can't change his teammates' play, and that was a huge factor in the loss last night.

Maybe he should be blamed because his teammates are so afraid of making mistakes because it will end with a soft goal from osgood. In my opinion the team seems to play better with Conklin, because they know he can bail him out. This allows them to concentrate on the game instead of worrying about making mistakes. The better question is why should Conklin be punished for making his team play better?

#547 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

Huckleberry?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (Alberta Wings Fan @ February 14, 2009 - 07:06PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe he should be blamed because his teammates are so afraid of making mistakes because it will end with a soft goal from osgood. In my opinion the team seems to play better with Conklin, because they know he can bail him out. This allows them to concentrate on the game instead of worrying about making mistakes. The better question is why should Conklin be punished for making his team play better?

Like I said, Osgood can't be blamed for other people's mistakes. The Wings have to suck it up and learn to play confident consistently. They were able to do that in front of a struggling Hasek last year so they should be able to do it in front of a strggling Osgood this year.

#548 Reilly

Reilly

Winning debates all across LGW.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:33 PM

Columbus is the type of team the Wings can't face in the first round of the playoffs.

#549 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE (clutchngrab @ February 14, 2009 - 04:06PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are no spells, voodoo dolls, witchcraft or anything else at work here.

You know, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say.......I'm pretty sure puckloo already knew that.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#550 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:13 PM

Having been at the game I have these observations (seeing as this thread has again degenerated into a blame Osgood no matter what type thread due to some of you)....

1. The ONLY reason the game was anywhere close is because of Ozzie. From the stands it looked mostly like a team that was running on empty. The very first thing a lot of the people around me said, both Blue Jacket and Red Wings fans, was that the Wings looked sluggish. Turnovers happen, but usually when a team gets outworked along the boards and doesn't get to seemingly ANY loose pucks, that team gets destroyed.

2. The first 2 goals were hard luck type goals that have been plaguing Detroit all year long. Especially the 2nd one. If that puck bounces right instead of left Ozzie smothers it and it's no goal. It was amazing that he even got a piece of that one. The 3rd goal he should have had though.

3. Steve Mason is a friggin beast. He might have the best glove in the NHL.

4. Even playing at the end of a very long week of games, Detroit still had a good chance to win against a decent Columbus team.
Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.