• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gnredwing

Chris Osgood breaks silence: 'I feel great'

Rate this topic

Osgood started his NHL career as a hybrid goalie like Martin Brodeur and a few others have been, and during the lockout he worked to fine-tune his style to improve the butterfly area of his game as well as his overall style to allow him to cover more of the net. Holland said last season that he felt Osgood's play since the lockout was better than his play with the Wings before it, even though he had been nominated for the Vezina pre-lockout.

It's the same as how Hasek evolved his game by becoming a bit more of a classic stand-up goaltender than he used to be to account for his history of groin injuries. It allowed him to cover the same areas of the net in a different way that he wouldn't have previously used, and because of his groin history was now his only option.

+1 :thumbup:

This is company line speech writing 101.

Do you expect him to say he put a couch in the dressing room to lay on and talk to a psychiatrist between periods?

I think a lot of his playoff success last year was because he had a backup goalie excuse if we lost. It takes a lot of pressure off if your not expected to win it.

Much better to be positive then down on yourself. Osgood, like myself is a fellow Sagittarian. We're optimistic to no end. Yeah it might be a little much at time, but it sure as hell beats being negative. Being positive brings forth confidence. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

Its a lose lose situation cause when you take blame (Legace) you get ripped apart just the same.... 6 of one 1/2 dozen of another.

I could care less how he is playing... Ozzies on the wings and thats just awesome for me :D

I'm sick of hearing how great he feels! It's time to show improvement to back up the words. I guess we will see if the experiment worked... it seemed to have worked for Kovalev.

As long as the similarity stops there and we don't have an 11-page thread speculating about Wings' connections with drugs/hookers/underage poodles/murder/chewing with their mouths open.

As long as the similarity stops there and we don't have an 11-page thread speculating about Wings' connections with drugs/hookers/underage poodles/murder/chewing with their mouths open.

:rotflmao:

Now this is what I'm talkin' about. The economy sucks; it hasn't rained anywhere near here in about a year; our dawgie needs his nails clipped....does it ever end?!

Thanks for the outright laugh.

I'm sick of hearing how great he feels! It's time to show improvement to back up the words. I guess we will see if the experiment worked... it seemed to have worked for Kovalev.

I personally appreciate your upbeatedness. And NO. I'm not being sarcastic.

:lookaround:

If Chris feels good, Babcock must play him.

Regardsless of tonight's result.

Play him 5/6 times in a row.

A goalie can't build confidence on 1 or 2 games a week.

It's obvious Holland and Babcock see Ozzie as their starter for the playoffs, despite the fact he has been less than stellar and Conklin has been well above average.

If Ozzie is their starter, let him get into a groove.

agreed. i think we're in a position to allow for some risks. some.

Speak for yourself, Its going to take the rest of the season for me to be comfortable with Osgood come playoff time. Personally, I think Conklin is a better goalie based on his play on the ice. Until Osgood approaches at least Conklin's level of play, Conklin would be my starter. Especially after last night which was basically as close to playoff game as your gonna get in the regular season. Guess what? Conlin outplayed Nabby.

You got that right!

If Chris feels good, Babcock must play him.

Regardsless of tonight's result.

Play him 5/6 times in a row.

A goalie can't build confidence on 1 or 2 games a week.

It's obvious Holland and Babcock see Ozzie as their starter for the playoffs, despite the fact he has been less than stellar and Conklin has been well above average.

If Ozzie is their starter, let him get into a groove.

Why would you do that when Conklin is earning his role as starter. What's important is the team as a whole getting in the groove with a goattender they feel confident can get the job done. I'm starting to feel that way about Conklin despite my earlier calls that we need another goaltender. Osgood's getting back into form is important but is secondary as Conklin is now establishing himself as our starter going into the playoffs.

Why would you do that when Conklin is earning his role as starter. What's important is the team as a whole getting in the groove with a goattender they feel confident can get the job done. I'm starting to feel that way about Conklin despite my earlier calls that we need another goaltender. Osgood's getting back into form is important but is secondary as Conklin is now establishing himself as our starter going into the playoffs.

I agree with you. Not only that but we have a legit chance at over taking 1st place and home ice advantage for the play offs. Conklin is playing very well, and the team in front of him is as well.... why mess with a winning combo. Put Osgood in for a game here and there but not 6 games in a row. Every loss hurts and loss of confidence and momentum hurts more. Conks has earned the starts and Osgood has earned the backups.

I can't understand why every year with this team there seems to be a goaltending dillema for NO REASON AT ALL...

No reason? There is plenty of good reasons for a goal tending dilema this year especially. In Detroit, there will always be good reason for a goal tending dilema, no matter who is in net.

I like most of you on LGW am sick and tired of Ozzy's "well I feel great, everything is wonderful my play is just about where I want it, I feel good in practice, blah blah carp"

IMO Osgood is starting to sound a lot like a Rod Marinelli PC "I feel outstanding, well I think we need to pound the rock, we look great in practice, are game and pad level is coming around"

Not exactly the same but I've heard enough of both to notice some gut wrenching similarities that make me feel sick when Osgood talks.

I don't give a rats ass how you feel win some games and maybe just maybe only let in 2 goals or less a few games in a row and let your play speak for itself so you don't have to do these awful speeches to the press.

IMO Osgood is starting to sound a lot like a Rod Marinelli PC "I feel outstanding, well I think we need to pound the rock, we look great in practice, are game and pad level is coming around"

How you can compare the two is beyond me. No it's not the same, and it's quite insulting to Osgood. He's achieved and accomplished pretty much everything he could ask for in his NHL career. He can talk and say whatever he wants because you know what? He doesn't have to prove a thing to anyone.

How you can compare the two is beyond me. No it's not the same, and it's quite insulting to Osgood. He's achieved and accomplished pretty much everything he could ask for in his NHL career. He can talk and say whatever he wants because you know what? He doesn't have to prove a thing to anyone.

Comparing their speeches or PCs is very different then comparing the men and their accomplishments. I'm saying some of the things Ozzy says sound like Rod.

Also he has to prove he can be a playoff goalie this year to Holland, Babcock, and the rest of the team that's not blind to whats happening.

I disagree.

For a team like the LA Kings, you can dive into the playoffs with a goaltender with one playoff game under his belt.

For a franchise like the Detroit Red Wings, you can't.

You can't put the weight of the postseason on the shoulders of a man who granted plays well in the regular season, but has virtually zero experience when it comes to the playoffs.

I disagree.

For a team like the LA Kings, you can dive into the playoffs with a goaltender with one playoff game under his belt.

For a franchise like the Detroit Red Wings, you can't.

You can't put the weight of the postseason on the shoulders of a man who granted plays well in the regular season, but has virtually zero experience when it comes to the playoffs.

Every Goalie has no play off experience to start with. How else are they to gain experience unless they are givien the chance? Osgood was not born with play-off experience. Starting him this year on last years performance is a bad decision, especially if there is no change in his game. That would be a worse decision then putting in Conklin who is playing great but has no play off experience. Play the hot goalie, not the previously hot goalie.

Every Goalie has no play off experience to start with. How else are they to gain experience unless they are givien the chance? Osgood was not born with play-off experience. Starting him this year on last years performance is a bad decision, especially if there is no change in his game. That would be a worse decision then putting in Conklin who is playing great but has no play off experience. Play the hot goalie, not the previously hot goalie.

It's too easy to say "Just play the hot goalie" come playoff time.

Experience is a factor too.