• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BlakChamber

CBS Disrespects Hockey

Rate this topic

So I'm having a lazy Saturday watching the USA/Canada game of the World Baseball Classic. If you didn't know, last Thursday team USA did the Top Ten list on Letterman via satellite. In between innings, ESPN showed a clip of the players doing the top ten. The topic was, top ten reasons to watch the WBC.

And the number one reason, delivered by Derek Jeter, was: "What else are you going to watch, hockey?"

:ranting::ranting: :ranting:

To me, this is completely unacceptable. Hockey players are the finest athletes on the planet, not to mention some of the nicest guys in the world. Look at baseball players, you sure as hell don't have to be an athlete to be able to hit a 95 mph fastball that arrives in less than half a second. I mean, baseball players spend more time scratching themselves than they do actually playing the game. That's right, I said game and not sport.

I'm calling for a boycott of CBS, Late Night with David Letterman, and all of their major sponsors. They need to learn that us hockey fans are not going to take some blatant disrespect lying down! Who's with me?!

So I'm having a lazy Saturday watching the USA/Canada game of the World Baseball Classic. If you didn't know, last Thursday team USA did the Top Ten list on Letterman via satellite. In between innings, ESPN showed a clip of the players doing the top ten. The topic was, top ten reasons to watch the WBC.

And the number one reason, delivered by Derek Jeter, was: "What else are you going to watch, hockey?"

:ranting::ranting: :ranting:

To me, this is completely unacceptable. Hockey players are the finest athletes on the planet, not to mention some of the nicest guys in the world. Look at baseball players, you sure as hell don't have to be an athlete to be able to hit a 95 mph fastball that arrives in less than half a second. I mean, baseball players spend more time scratching themselves than they do actually playing the game. That's right, I said game and not sport.

I'm calling for a boycott of CBS, Late Night with David Letterman, and all of their major sponsors. They need to learn that us hockey fans are not going to take some blatant disrespect lying down! Who's with me?!

Wait....are you serious? I don't agree with CBS's criticism of hockey, but there's no way you can tell me that you don't need to have an unnatural amount of hand-eye coordination and quick hands to hit a 95-mph fastball. Maybe you don't need to be a pure athlete, but the aforementioned abilities are forms of athleticism. Baseball is most definately not just a game.

Wait....are you serious? I don't agree with CBS's criticism of hockey, but there's no way you can tell me that you don't need to have an unnatural amount of hand-eye coordination and quick hands to hit a 95-mph fastball. Maybe you don't need to be a pure athlete, but the aforementioned abilities are forms of athleticism. Baseball is most definately not just a game.

Oh, I'm as serious as a heart attack. Having freaking ass reflexes doesn't make you an athlete. You telling me that Cecil Fielder was an athlete?

mlb_ap_cecil_prince_300.jpg

Anyway, that's not the point. The point is that CBS can't get away with this!!!111 :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:

As a lifelong hockey player I would agree that hockey players are, for the most part, superior athletes compared to baseball players....

But other than that, it was just a joke centred around the well-known FACT that most Americans don't care too much about hockey. I'm not offended.

Baseball is the most boring sport in the history of mankind. Its weird how most sports get taken up worldwide after theyre invented...hockey, soccer, tennis, golf...yes baseball only exists in America. Cos it ******* sucks.

Well, it sounds like you're married to your opinion, so I'm not going to get into a long, drawn out debate that's going to go nowhere in the end. That all said, baseball is a sport that requires a lot of skill (maybe not pure athleticism, but I can find some examples of some not so great athletes in hockey too) and you're not going to find many people who agree with your opinion that it isn't.

Baseball is the most boring sport in the history of mankind. Its weird how most sports get taken up worldwide after theyre invented...hockey, soccer, tennis, golf...yes baseball only exists in America. Cos it ******* sucks.

You're right, baseball only exists in America. That's why there's a WORLD baseball classic going on right now. Featuring 14 countries and one territory that aren't the USA.

And most of Asia, South America, the Caribbean, etc. Dumb argument.

Just close the thread. It can only get worse from here on out.

Who cares? They're both sports, they're both games. They exist for the purpose of entertainment. So someone made a joke at the expense of hockey. Big deal. Are we, as hockey fans, really so insecure about the validity of the sport we love that we can't take a joke?

Big deal. Are we, as hockey fans, really so insecure about the validity of the sport we love that we can't take a joke?

Yes. It's bad enough that ESPN, SI, and the rest of the mainstream media don't acknowledge that hockey is clearly superior to every other sport. Now CBS is jumping on the hate hockey bandwagon.

Enough is enough!!!111 :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:

Yes. It's bad enough that ESPN, SI, and the rest of the mainstream media don't acknowledge that hockey is clearly superior to every other sport. Now CBS is jumping on the hate hockey bandwagon.

Enough is enough!!!111 :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:

You're right! We should demand apologies! Let's do a Million Man Skate! And there must be restitution! ESPN and SI should have to remove the S's from their names, because there's only 1 sport and they're not worthy! And all those other "games" should wear Stanley Cup patches on their uniforms to acknowledge hockey's superioriy, and they should all play only 3 periods! No more quarters, no more halves, no more innings, none of that malarkey ... just 3 periods! And no more balls either, only pucks! Because pucks rule! YEAH!!! :ranting:

You're right! We should demand apologies! Let's do a Million Man Skate! And there must be restitution! ESPN and SI should have to remove the S's from their names, because there's only 1 sport and they're not worthy! And all those other "games" should wear Stanley Cup patches on their uniforms to acknowledge hockey's superioriy, and they should all play only 3 periods! No more quarters, no more halves, no more innings, none of that malarkey ... just 3 periods! And no more balls either, only pucks! Because pucks rule! YEAH!!! :ranting:

Thank you for seeing the light. I am glad I can count on your support :)

You're right, baseball only exists in America. That's why there's a WORLD baseball classic going on right now. Featuring 14 countries and one territory that aren't the USA.

Well its not a major sport in the UK or Europe which is all I care about.

And most of Asia, South America, the Caribbean, etc. Dumb argument.

Ok...so how many MEDC countries play baseball besides the US?

Just close the thread. It can only get worse from here on out.

And contributions like you just made arnt worse how?

The statement was retarded, but there's nothing that can be done about it really. Just bad pub for the best sport in the world.

Now, I'm trying to remember the last time i watched a baseball game, and........I can't.

Nice. :)

Well its not a major sport in the UK or Europe which is all I care about.

At least you're open minded. :rolleyes:

Ok...so how many MEDC countries play baseball besides the US?

This is such a dumb argument. So, does hockey suck, because it isn't played in South America or Asia? That isn't fair at all. I understand that you don't personally like baseball, but there are people out there that don't like hockey. And I'm assuming that it probably annoys you when someone is so ignorant about hockey, but you're doing the same thing with baseball!

That's all I'm saying. I don't want to get into an argument, but it bothers me when someone just brushes off the entire sport of baseball (or hockey).

Guest mindfly

Don't like it either but come on....

What you're saying about baseball is the same as saying anybody can play in the NFL with all the breaks in the game and the fact that they only play 16 games per season but it's probably the toughest sport in the world anyway

Edited by mindfly