• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

YoungGuns1340

NHL.com: "If The Playoffs Started Today"

Rate this topic

[/i]

when teams are able to clog up center ice and force the Wings to dump and chase - that's when they lost their worst to me.

Columbus could be a sleepy type team capable of pulling off a serious upset.

Agreed. That's usually when I know we have to try another strategy to get into their zone - when we have to dump and chase.

CBJ could easily pull off an upset. Mason is one of the only goalies in the league who could win games all on his own.

I hope that somehow we score the BJ's first round... OMG that would be so freakin awesome! I will buy tickets to the first 4 games!!!!

I think the Oilers are a better matchup than the Predators. The Wings can beat the Oilers without too much difficulty. San Jose will have a tough time with Nashville, those guys are hungry to win a playoff series. However, the Wings could end up playing Calgary in the second round, that series would have the intensity of a WCF series.

Reading this, you'd think no one's watched Pekka Rinne lately.

Examine this:

Rinne: .921, 2.27, 22 wins in 38 games, 6 SO

Mason: .918, 2.24, 26 wins in 46 games, 8 SO

Seems...like a tight race. Rinne better save and win %

God, the travel for Central division teams is rough when you look at it. That said, it is equally as tough on the opponents who have to make the same journey the other way.

I do find it slightly bizarre that the Wings are in the western conference. I know it has been discussed a million time, and I am not trying to bring it up as a topic again -- but everytime I look at their opponents, compared to that of who we would face in the east I scratch my head.

I think overall though, San Jose has the roughest travel in the NHL. I am actually pretty sure of it in terms of throughout the regular season.

Bring anyone on...I dont care who it is...If we play a good defensive game and get half ass decent goaltending nobody will beat us ...end of story !! We are the champs and until someone beats us we will still be the champs !!

Reading this, you'd think no one's watched Pekka Rinne lately.

Examine this:

Rinne: .921, 2.27, 22 wins in 38 games, 6 SO

Mason: .918, 2.24, 26 wins in 46 games, 8 SO

Seems...like a tight race. Rinne better save and win %

But Mason has been the definition of insanity against the Wings this season. I don't know if we've scored more than 2 goals against him in one game this season.

And Columbus style of play doesn't seem to fit the Wings, as previous posters has noted they clog up the middle and force the Wings to play dump & chase which isn't their strong suit.

I don't think a series against Nashville would be easy, it wasn't last year and this year the Wings are fighting even bigger goaltending troubles than they were doing then, along with defensive issues. But the Preds play a style of hockey that makes for more fun games (CBJ's are booooring) and I think in the end they wouldn't be able to shut down Detroit's offense.

Well, I see your point, and plus Rick Nash has played like a madman against you, but remember Rinne had almost fifty saves the first time we played you and then the second time he got the shutout.

It just seems to me that, for whatever reason, we're having a difficult time with the Jackets this season. That's not to say Nashville has been a cakewalk. But I know, when we're playing the Blue Jackets, it's going to be a battle.

I dont care who we play. Our destiny is in our own hands. We are the best team in hockey top to bottom. Theres little doubt in my mind. If the team is willing to pay the price we beat anyone handily.

Edited by Dawgs

I would much prefer the Wild make the playoffs and the Red Wings get them in the first round. At the moment, I don't have much confidence at all in the Red Wings against potential playoff opponents like the Blue Jackets, Predators or Oilers. The Red Wings are clearly more talented than those teams, but all three would easily be capable of beating the Red Wings if they don't start focusing on defense.

Edited by GoWings1905

I would rather play a team that we might not match up as well against that is in our back yard, then start off the playoffs making two cross continent flights. Considering that If the Wings are to repeat, they will more than likely have to make multiple trips out west in either the second round or conference finals or both.

The Bluejackets are confident against the Wings, especially after their recent victory. On top of that, they'll be hyped up to be in the playoffs, and furthermore, they'll be even more hyped up to prove their game against a team like the Wings.

Confidence, intense motivation, a great coach and a great goaltender is precisely what has taken us down in past seasons. Edmonton is definitely most favorable at this point. Roloson is hot, but Edmonton isn't the hard-hitting gritty team it was when we faced them last time.

i wouldn't be worried about the wings playing the oilers. i didn't think they would make the playoffs let alone beat the wings... with hossa back any game now from injury and helm and leino back up for playoffs i think the wings are still the favorite to defend "their cup!" btw...nash is only one person! mason's a great goalie, but detroit with those 3 players back, as well as having holmstrom back now are too much for the lower seeds. 1st round, any opponent, wings in 5.