• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
lecatpuke

How to Avoid Anaheim

Rate this topic

Jonas Hiller is their guy now anyway....

I wouldn't mind us playing the Ducks for the schedule on away games allowing me to watch another 7pm game first and also to be the ones to knock out the Ducks

I also wouldn't mind seeing the Ducks play SJ for the matchup reasons so... doesn't really matter

The problem with that is that if you don't live in Detroit, those earlier games may go into a neverending OT session. If we play the Blues, our games will always be on first.

Giguere isn't their #1 anyways, and regarding opposing goalies, it is because of opposing teams superior defense when the Wings have been eliminated, i.e. their offense sputters. There is no reason for that given how much offensive firepower and scoring prowess has been displayed.

Last I checked, the Wings offense was great in the regular season in 2003, 2004 and 2006. This team doesn't have that much more firepower than any previous Wings teams. Yet in all those seasons, it seemed like the Wings couldn't buy a key goal when they needed it in the playoffs. The playoffs are a different animal.

Also, in those seasons the Wings defense and goaltending was better than it is this season. Anaheim has more offensive firepower than St. Louis has with their first line being able to potentially carry them through at least one series. I don't see them going any farther because of their lack of depth offensively, however.

I am actually heading out to California for the majority of next week. From a viewing standpoint, the Ducks/Wings would be televised so at least I could watch it. But that's about the only good thing I see.

Ducks are still bigger, stronger, meaner and the Getzlaf line is still impossible to control. Watch the games. We cannot stop the Getzlaf line with Perry and Ryan. We simply aren't big enough and they are supremely talented to go with that size. Terrible matchup for almost anybody.

Throw in the back and forth travel and a punishing series, forget it. I want to avoid Anaheim in round 1.

I doubt we'll face the BJ's so I'll take an uproven goalie with a bunch of rookies and young kids who aren't playoff tested and the relatively light travel schedule. Give me St.Louis all day long.

Let Anaheim and San Jose pummel the crap out of each other. Besides those 2 bruising teams just wearing on each other, that'd be one hell of a fun series to watch as a hockey fan.

San Jose v Anaheim

Detroit v St.Louis

Not saying i'm really afraid of Anaheim but why would you want to face them? Thus far the only reason I have heard is "to avenge 2007". Give me a fecking break. You gotta look at strengths and weaknesses, matchups, leadership, experience, size, travel, etc...... I am not afraid of the Blues at all.

That's what I've been wanting, it would be awesome!

Any team will be tough. The Wings have a better record against Anaheim than Columbus, but haven't lost to St. Louis at all.

Oh really?

I want:

1. San Jose

2. Detroit

3. Vancouver

4. Chicago

5. Calgary

6. Anaheim

7. Columbus

8. St. Louis

This way Anaheim can hopefully take out Vancouver for us, and even though SJ gets an easy first round pass, they are stuck with Anaheim for round 2. No matter who wins that series, the other team faces us in round 3 all beat up.

How is St. Louis an easy first round pass? They are the hottest team after the allstar break and went 2-1-1 against the Sharks this year.

Oh really?

How is St. Louis an easy first round pass? They are the hottest team after the allstar break and went 2-1-1 against the Sharks this year.

The Wings own the Blues and have done so for a long time. They are our *****.

Anaheim is not our *****. Not yet, that is. :P

I really hope its St. Louis.

I dont have much faith in the Ducks to go anywhere past the first round. Just want to avoid travel.

Columbus still scares the s*** out of me with Mason. I don't want to play them, hopefully they play San Jose in the second round.

The Wings own the Blues and have done so for a long time. They are our *****.

Anaheim is not our *****. Not yet, that is. :P

Nobody is the Wings ***** right now. Except maybe the concept of giving up a lead and choking. The Wings own that lately.

Besides I asked how the Blues are an easy first round pass for the Sharks.

Edited by Mellanby_was_grit

Nobody is the Wings ***** right now. Except maybe the concept of giving up a lead and choking. The Wings own that lately.

Besides I asked how the Blues are an easy first round pass for the Sharks.

Oh, I get it. You're a Blues fan. Welcome back to the playoffs. :D Sorry for the news tip, but we do own your team this season. I see no reason to fear the Blues just because they're playing a little better lately. Very few bottom feeding teams limp their way into the playoffs every year. Fact is that your team just seems to be several steps behind the Wings.

You've had success against San Jose, but the Sharks are going to be poised to disprove the criticism of being playoff chokers. They're just a deeper team than the Blues, and over a long series the Blues won't have what it takes to beat them, unless Mason is the best player in the world for 2 weeks. I don't see it happening, and you probably don't either.

All these teams are pretty much interchangeable as far as I'm concerned, so it comes down to travel for me. If the Wings are able to advance, then doing so while accumulating the fewest miles possible is advantageous in the long haul.

Oh, I get it. You're a Blues fan. Welcome back to the playoffs. :D Sorry for the news tip, but we do own your team this season. I see no reason to fear the Blues just because they're playing a little better lately. Very few bottom feeding teams limp their way into the playoffs every year. Fact is that your team just seems to be several steps behind the Wings.

You've had success against San Jose, but the Sharks are going to be poised to disprove the criticism of being playoff chokers. They're just a deeper team than the Blues, and over a long series the Blues won't have what it takes to beat them, unless Mason is the best player in the world for 2 weeks. I don't see it happening, and you probably don't either.

Have you actually watched the Wings in the last month? I've caught most of their games recently and they are flat-out awful.

The Blues are a much better team than you think. And they didn't "limp" into the playoffs.. That would imply they were not doing well when they got there. The Blues were the best NHL team in 2009 to make the playoffs. They've had an amazing run and while they're the underdogs against both the Wings and the Sharks they wouldn't be an "easy first round pass" for either team.

Also the Blues are playing more than "a little better" than the Red Wings. The Red Wings give up leads like candy. The Blues play a hardnose blue-collar style every game.

Anyone wishing for Anaheim is crazy.

The Ducks would be a tougher matchup for the Sharks than the Blues would be. Those 2 teams hate each other, and would most likely play one hell of a physical series against each other.

Think of it this way. Who would you rather see when we're on the PK? Pronger and Niedermayer on the point, or some guys named Woywitka and Oshie on the point? Also, Giguere has proven that he can beat us in a series. What has Chris Mason ever proven in the playoffs?

While Woywitka is awful mcawfulson, TJ Oshie won the fan's choice goal of the season award.. http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=416929

He also owns Rick Nash.

First time

Second time

I wouldn't act like he's some random scrub. In fact I predict in a couple years he's gonna be a player you love to hate.

Whoever the team is to match up against, bring them on. Shouldn't be scared just because we might play a certain team over another. Nor should there be overconfidence as any team is capable of making a deep run regardless of where you are seeded.

I'd personally like not to face Anaheim cause that'd mean late nights watching, but that's my own selfish reasons.

If the Red Wings play like they are capable of for 60 minutes reducing their brainfarts, they are hard to beat, whether they play a team with more skill/lack of size or a team of big guys.

Whoever the team is to match up against, bring them on. Shouldn't be scared just because we might play a certain team over another. Nor should there be overconfidence as any team is capable of making a deep run regardless of where you are seeded.

I'd personally like not to face Anaheim cause that'd mean late nights watching, but that's my own selfish reasons.

If the Red Wings play like they are capable of for 60 minutes reducing their brainfarts, they are hard to beat, whether they play a team with more skill/lack of size or a team of big guys.

Agree, the readiness of the team is the one crucial point for the first opponent. My only concern is the ability to lose the first game because of necrosis or pectizable performance, while disabling the reality that this team is the best in hockey. Enough said, Red Wings are the best in the league, can they put it on the ice…Mike Babcock thinks so.

Me, I think I'd rather play a team like Anaheim in the first round than a Columbus or even St. Louis. I would have rather seen a team like Minnesota or Nashville make it into the playoffs because they are both very scrappy teams and could do some physical damage to San Jose, that way if we do happen to met them at some point during these playoffs we'd have a better chance to win seeing as we won't have home ice advantage against them. Anaheim is a very good team, there is no douting that but I think we can beat them, I hope we can. Let's Go Red Wings!!

Not really into preferring one team or the other, but as far as personnel is concerned, the BJs and Ducks have their own Dbag Wings killer on them (Nash, Getzlaf) and the Blues do not.

that's where you're wrong my friend.

B.J. Crombeen, ftw!

With a Columbus loss, that narrows it down...

Points Earned       We Play
ANA  CBJ  STL        
0    0    0        Anaheim   (ANA wins tie-breaker for 7th)
0    0    1        St. Louis
0    0    2        Columbus  (STL wins tie-Breaker for 6th)
1    0    0        Anaheim
1    0    1        Anaheim   (ANA wins tie-breaker for 7th)
1    0    2        Columbus  (STL wins tie-Breaker for 6th)
2    0    0        Columbus  (ANA wins tie-breaker for 6th)
2    0    1        Columbus  (ANA wins tie-breaker for 6th)
2    0    2        St. Louis (3-way tie, ANA 6th with wins, STL 7th with record vs. CBJ)

Edited by lecatpuke