• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
IILeiBlazeII

Johan Franzen signs extension, 11 years

Rate this topic

per mlive

The Red Wings have signed forward Johan Franzen to an 11-year contract extension that averages $3.9 million a season.

It's a front-loaded deal that includes a no-trade clause for the first five or six years. Franzen was earning $1.15 million this season and could have become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

"He's a guy who's a 30- to 35-goal scorer now it appears,'' general manager Ken Holland said. "We get a good player at a good cap number. In return we've given up term and security.''

Holland said he will resume negotiations with the agent for Marian Hossa after the playoffs. He is still hoping to sign Hossa.

Here is a portion of the press release on the Franzen signing:

"Franzen was originally a third round draft pick (97th overall) of the Red Wings in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft. He is currently in his fourth season in the National Hockey League. In 69 games played this season, Franzen has already set career highs in goals (34), assists (25) and points (59). He burst into the NHL spotlight last March scoring 14 goals and adding four assists for 18 points in just 13 games. Six of Franzen's 14 goals were game-winning goals, eclipsing the franchise record of five in one month held by Gordie Howe and Zetterberg. 'Mule' would finish the 2007-08 regular season by scoring 15 goals over the final 16 games.

"Franzen's incredible run continued into the 2008 playoffs. He found the back of the net 13 times in just 16 postseason games. Along the way, he set or tied numerous franchise playoff records including most goals in one playoff year (13, with Zetterberg), most goals in one playoff series (9), most game-winning goals in one playoff year (5), longest playoff goal streak (5 games) and most three-goal games in one playoff series (2).''

I can't believe I'm breaking this news here... but BOOYAH FRANZEN!!! :D :D :D :D :D

***edit for up-to-date info and a better article***

Edited by IILeiBlazeII

9 or 10 years???

That's a little scary. I just hope it helped really get that cap figure down then.

Holland is really pushing the loopholes here, if this is the case - and I love it!

Guest Four

Good news!

WE GOT FRANZEN LONGTIME BABY :D

Rumoured at 3.7 Mill means this possibility:

5m-5m-5m-5-m-4m-4m-2m-2m-1m

Edited by Four

I'm just trying to figure what it could look like ---

7 6 6 5 4 3 2 1 1 1

That's a ten year contract with a cap hit of $3.6m per year.

Rumoured at 3.7 Mill means this possibility:

5m-5m-5m-5-m-4m-4m-2m-2m-1m

Nice guess as well.

Edited by egroen

Mule! It's amazing the loyalty guys like Z and Mule have shown to the Red Wings organization with these deals.

I can't help but think this is somewhat bittersweet because this is likely the end for Hossa.

Well, if Franzen is signed for less than $4m - there is still a decent chance Hossa can be signed (if Filppula is traded).

Holland would not be going out so many years if he didn't think he had a chance at Hossa as well.

Edited by egroen

Another possibility, 9 year-$36 mil ($4 mil/cap hit)

AGE/Salary

30 $6,000,000

31 $6,000,000

32 $5,000,000

33 $5,000,000

34 $4,000,000

35 $4,000,000

36 $3,000,000

37 $2,000,000

38 $1,000,000

Optional:

39 $1,000,000 Makes it 10 year-$37 mil ($3.7 mil/cap hit)

Edited by lecatpuke

Guest Four
you're an animal for posting this one! Still not up on NHL.com or freep.com

@ your display image: Yes, we do got mule! xD :D

you're an animal for posting this one! Still not up on NHL.com or freep.com

Yeah... just doing my ceremonial "check all the important sites before I go AFK" drill... and first thing that pops up on tsn.ca/nhl is Franzen's big bearded mug... and I'm just like "Wait... better go check LGW to be absolutely sure this is legit!" LoL I'd love to see some other confirmation (despite tsn being very good with this sort of stuff)... so if anyone finds another link, I'll be glad to edit my first post so that newcomers to the thread can read everything right away!

Could you imagine if it is closer to $3m?

Cue the rest of the NHL bitching about Holland "cheating" :lol:

Fact is, it's a loophole the NHL failed to address, and smart GMs are going to milk it... and none more so than Holland, god bless him.

Could you imagine if it is closer to $3m?

Cue the rest of the NHL bitching about Holland "cheating" :lol:

Fact is, it's a loophole the NHL failed to address, and smart GMs are going to milk it... and none more so than Holland, god bless him.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL makes some kind of provision to close the loophole at the next opportunity. The "he can possibly retire before the end of the deal" loophole that is

Edited by T-Ruff

Surprised at the length, but if it helps keep the cap hit down, I'm all for it. Not to mention that it takes away the drama of an experiing contract anytime soon. Makes long-term team building easier, and Franzen is clutch in every sense of the word.

Dobre ci zle ? :D

Zle. (bad)

But not THAT bad, I am happy Mule is signed but giving that kind of contract to a player like Franzen is nuts, I hope it's for less than 3 million a year. I just don't see Franzen playing good hockey in 7 years or so.

On the other hand Holland knows what's he doing, but I really hope he will find a way to keep Hossa in Motown.

Edited by Reds4Life

Franzen deal done better mean under $3m. He's not worth $4m right now, so a 10-year deal close to that at his age is INSANE. I know I am in the minority with all the Franzen fanboys here, but that's the truth. If the deal is more than 5 years, he better be $2.5m-$3m per year cap hit.

I can't see Holland doing this right now if it means Hossa's definitely gone, so I've gotta think Holland believes he can still get Hossa signed too. I guess we'll see ...

if anybody can figure it out it's holland, but i think will just have to give up too much.