• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
swiss_fan

Thoughts about the draft

Rate this topic

Here's just a few thoughts about the next draft before the playoffs FINALLY begin!!

I think we're in an ideal situation this year to trade up , being stacked and right against the cap. To do so could not only allow us to trade assets we could loose otherwise for prospects, but also to free up some space for Hossa. When i look at the contracts i ve hard time to see how we could afford salary wise tu give +2,5 mil to Hudler for example. Plus a very good prospect could be cap wise very initeresting, playing for 3 years for few..

So do you agree with me?(it could be a good idea to trade up)

Then i ve tried to figure out how high we could go with our assets (as opposite of Burke's one, our are valuable), and what would be the best prospect (affordable) we could go for?F irst, which kind of player would we look for?

Last year we were stacked in D. We've lost depth in this position with the departure of Q, but we still have good prospect like Kindl down. It would be nice to gain depth at center but is it really a good idea to go for a center who could be NHL ready in 2-3 years when we've already Z and Dats (+possibly Helm) locked for years? A winger could be the right choice for me.

What's your opinion?

Basing of what i ve read Paarjaveri (or something like that) could be very interesting, but he s projected as a top 5 pick, so probably too high. Ellis could be very interesting i think. I ve seen him in the WJC and he was impressing. He could be a top 10 pick. Would Hudler and our 1st be enough to move so high? We could also add Howard also, although i think he will backup Ozzie next year. What would we have for Huds+Flip? Huds+Flip+1st?

Any ideas? Thoughts?

Edited by swiss_fan

Basing of what i ve read Paarjaveri (or something like that) could be very interesting, but he s projected as a top 5 pick, so probably too high. Ellis could be very interesting i think. I ve seen him in the WJC and he was impressing. He could be a top 10 pick. Would Hudler and our 1st be enough to move so high? We could also add Howard also, although i think he will backup Ozzie next year. What would we have for Huds+Flip? Huds+Flip+1st?

Any ideas? Thoughts?

I also agree that this is the year to trade up. I would say Flip + rights for Hudler may allow to move in 5-10 range. If we add our first we may trade with LA Kings for their 4th position with a shot at Dushene or Kane.

that's an interesting idea

Huds should get us a 1st and 3rd pick, although they might want to use next years picks, not this years. Then we could trade Huds if worst came to worse for a 1st straight up in this years draft.

That gives us our regular 1st, 2nd 3rd picks in 2009, plus another 2009 1st rd pick (say maybe 15 overall) from hudler. Any chance we could trade our regular 1st, and our obtained 1st (say 15th overall) to get a top 5 pick? We could draft Magnus svenson or duchene, both could play immediately, shoring up the departure of hudler. Wow we would be more stacked then last year on offense,if we keep hossa and lieno. SVenson I like, i think he has the talent to go 3rd overall but might drop. Cohen on defense...nick might retire in a year, he could fill the spot(just not the skills).

If we end up only drafting in the mid 1st round pick, we might be able to get Kulikov who is very talented, if he lasts.

Edited by Probie

I like the idea of trading up, but I doubt they get themselves into a top 5-10 spot. There is some good talent in the middle of the draft... some guys from the OHL like Peter Holland, Zack Kassian, and Calvin de Haan could be nice players.

TSN has Ryan Ellis and Jordan Schroeder at 12 and 13, but they could both end up in the top 10.

As for other teams... expect Brian Burke and Toronto doing the same thing as last year and trading up from #7 so they can grab Brayden Schenn around the 5th spot. (Luke's brother).

Edited by 34Legace34

I like the idea of trading up, but I doubt they get themselves into a top 5-10 spot. There is some good talent in the middle of the draft... some guys from the OHL like Peter Holland, Zack Kassian, and Calvin de Haan could be nice players.

TSN has Ryan Ellis and Jordan Schroeder at 12 and 13, but they could both end up in the top 10.

As for other teams... expect Brian Burke and Toronto doing the same thing as last year and trading up from #7 so they can grab Brayden Schenn around the 5th spot. (Luke's brother).

Yeah Peter Holland could be really interesting, but like i ve pointed out would it be really smart to draft a high potential center with Z and Dats here for long long time?It s a question not a statement.

Couldn't Flip and Huds be worth a top 10 pick?

Its time to go defense no matter our draft position. Lidstrom and Rafalski are both getting long in the tooth and may be playing out their last contracts.

Trading Filpula and our 1 for a top 15 pick works for me. Im not sure Filps contract is easily traded with the production hes shown this year.

Its time to go defense no matter our draft position. Lidstrom and Rafalski are both getting long in the tooth and may be playing out their last contracts.

Trading Filpula and our 1 for a top 15 pick works for me. Im not sure Filps contract is easily traded with the production hes shown this year.

Exactly. Offense is nice, but we're stacked there. Defense is starting to thin and eventually we're going to lose somebody. Go defense.

If we get low enough, Jared Cowen is the way to go. Ryan Ellis was terrific at the WJC, but Cowen has a great offensive game but is also 6'4 and mean and nasty. I also agree that if there was ever a year to trade up, it'd be this year.

If we get low enough, Jared Cowen is the way to go. Ryan Ellis was terrific at the WJC, but Cowen has a great offensive game but is also 6'4 and mean and nasty. I also agree that if there was ever a year to trade up, it'd be this year.

I saw Cowan play Midget AAA at 15 and he was getting 30 minutes a game, head and shouldners above everybody skill wise and in decision-making. I'd be thrilled to get him in the lineup with Lidstrom for a couple of years so he could get some of that talent by osmosis.

There's some really good talent in the top half of the first round this draft and maybe, just maybe, this trading up idea has been Plan A since Holland signed Zetterberg to a long-term deal, and then turned his sights on inking Hossa and Franzen.

maybe, just maybe, this trading up idea has been Plan A since Holland signed Zetterberg to a long-term deal, and then turned his sights on inking Hossa and Franzen.

In fact i had also this idea that this could be Holland's plan! Glad to see someone else thinking it s possible

Ryan Ellis is dominating the OHL regular season and now walking all over the playoffs. Effing pissed we had to play them 2nd round or we would still be playing right now!

Ryan Ellis is dominating the OHL regular season and now walking all over the playoffs. Effing pissed we had to play them 2nd round or we would still be playing right now!

Ellis plays for Windsor right? I mean, I'd love to get him! Dont get me wrong, would just prefer Cowen, either would be fantastic.

yeah he does. I have been watching him very closely as they (windsor) are our biggest rivals... and the ones to boot us from the playoffs this year

So guy, we can ask us again which player do you want the wings draft , which position and should the wings move up/down?

I would like to see the wings trade Stuart( i know i know NTC), Hudler and Howard for a very good 1st round. What do you think?

This year draft look amazingly deep!