• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ilmickeyli

Mike Brown's hit on Hudler

Rate this topic

To all the people shouting "keep your head up!" or the alternative "don't admire your pass!" you have to look at the puck to see where it's going so you know where to go. What Hudler did wasn't so much a pass as an off the boards dump in to a chasing Filppula. Hudler has to look at the puck to make sure it gets in or if he has to retreat to play defense. If he turns away from the play, the puck doesn't get in and is heading back to our end, he's screwed defensively. He got blindsided. Not only that he got blindsided late. Not only that he got blindsided late and to the head. There is nothing remotely clean about that hit. Nor should there be. It was one of those plays by Brown where he really should have the thought "this could end a career" running through his head.

Excellent post nick :thumbup:

When you look at the announcers on VS discussing the hit both were 100% in favor of a suspension without much discussion. When Pronger drilled Homer in 1997 I recall that they were split. Given the nature of the politics of head hits he gets a suspension and I bet it is 6 games like DB. They will intentially make a statement with him.

It was dirty. Calling it playoff hockey is like calling boarding a playoff check. Doesn't really matter what you think in the end, it is illegal and will be dealt with appropriately.

I luv Huds, but he carelessly put himself in an extremely vulnerable position and paid the price. Not only was he NOT looking where he was going, but he was floating thru like he was on a date or something, and HE went into Brown's path. And like Kevotron said, he got stitched back together and went in for more hockey. Where I come from, thats 1 "Aw, s***", and 1 "Atta boy".

It wasn't late. It was just too bad for Juri, thats all. He'll be fine. Like Kevotron said, thats toughness. I couldn't believe Cleary said it was a dirty hit on the TV interview. He should have said," Hey, thats Stanley Cup Playoff Hockey."

You shouldn't be vulnerable if it isn't legal to be hit. Jiri was looking where he was going and it was clear to make a play. He made a play behind him on a dump in to Filppula. At that point he's no longer fair game and he's watching the puck to make sure it gets in. He turns back forward and get's lit up. It's kind of hard to play the game of hockey if you have to spend the entire time on the lookout for cheapshots. You're going to miss a lot of passing plays and the like if you're constantly looking over your shoulder.

Brown doesn't have to follow through with a fist/butt-end to the face. That's a bad hit regardless of the way you spin it, and you're an idiot if you think that was a clean hit.

He went into that seeing Hudler turned away, and there was a good chance he would stay that way, as that was the way the puck was going. Lining up a hit in that situation shows not only poor judgment, but also shows a desire to harm the opposing player.

The addition of blood on top of it being a hit to the head, regardless of it being the visor's fault or not, deserved the penalty, ejection, and possibly the suspension he has coming.

OK, more of you guys with the name calling, but I haven't heard one explanation of what Brown should have done. Hudler blindy floats into his path while admiring his own pass instead of paying attention to where he is going.

Should Brown have openned his arms softly and caught Juri and whispered "Careful"?

Should Brown have attempted evasive action, and risk a knee on knee at most, and at the least put himself out of position to make a play on the puck and letting Hudler get by him for a rush?

Let up on the hit, thereby absorbing more of it, just because Huds wasn't paying attention?

What should Brown have done?

It was a little late, but the big issue here is that it was to the head. No doubt about, not an accident, right to the head.

I'm glad the refs made the right call with the intent to injure match penalty. I would say a 1 to 3 game suspension is in order.

OK, more of you guys with the name calling, but I haven't heard one explanation of what Brown should have done. Hudler blindy floats into his path while admiring his own pass instead of paying attention to where he is going.

Should Brown have openned his arms softly and caught Juri and whispered "Careful"?

Should Brown have attempted evasive action, and risk a knee on knee at most, and at the least put himself out of position to make a play on the puck and letting Hudler get by him for a rush?

Let up on the hit, thereby absorbing more of it, just because Huds wasn't paying attention?

Lowered the shoulder rather that leading and following thru with the stick.

Kept his elbow tight stick down and driven right the f#$% through Huds and I would have gladly call it playoff hockey and blame Hudler.

Edit:

And then screamed at the top of his lungs

"YARD SALE!"

Edited by Opie

You shouldn't be vulnerable if it isn't legal to be hit. Jiri was looking where he was going and it was clear to make a play. He made a play behind him on a dump in to Filppula. At that point he's no longer fair game and he's watching the puck to make sure it gets in. He turns back forward and get's lit up. It's kind of hard to play the game of hockey if you have to spend the entire time on the lookout for cheapshots. You're going to miss a lot of passing plays and the like if you're constantly looking over your shoulder.

Exactly, I agree with your sarcasm. I think San Jose agrees with you too. :thumbup:

He should have kept his arms/elbows down at the minimum. If he checks Hudler by just going shoulder to shoulder, I don't think you'd be hearing any of this crap right now. Hudler would have still been blasted. The dude brought his elbows up to the head. Why is that so ******* hard for some people to understand.

Kept his elbow tight stick down and driven right the f#$% through Huds and I would have gladly call it playoff hockey and blame Hudler.

I agree. And thats what he did. The shoulder hit Huds face and the stick and glove followed thru like you do on any good hit. Like you said, you always hit thru the guy. He didn't hit him with the butt end of the stick.

"It's the playoffs, I want to play," he said. "I want to help the team. I don't know if it's necessary to get that suspension. It was just a clean hit. I wasn't meaning to do any harm or anything. I was just playing physical. He got cut from his visor."

Lol. Good job, Brown. :thumbup:

I agree. And thats what he did. The shoulder hit Huds face and the stick and glove followed thru like you do on any good hit. Like you said, you always hit thru the guy. He didn't hit him with the butt end of the stick.

What ******* game were you watching?

Hilarious, seriously what is your real opinion of the hit, that cannot be it.

I thought it was a clean hit until I saw the reverse angle, he hits fist/stick to the head, if you hit with your shoulder, how do you follow through with the hands and stick at the same time?

how did he float? Watch it again. THe puck was passed and brown swung around toward Huds and layed the hit as Hudler was standing there. Thats the fundamental start to a dirty play-seeking out the hit. He could have gotten a charging on top of everything.

Complain as much as you want, the game is done and the score will stick. Carlyle can shut his mouth and personally, I hope Brown doesn't get suspended because I'd rather see him pay for it on Sunday.

...and you can count on it that he will pay for it on Sunday.

Edited by cirov19

He should have kept his arms/elbows down at the minimum. If he checks Hudler by just going shoulder to shoulder, I don't think you'd be hearing any of this crap right now. Hudler would have still been blasted. The dude brought his elbows up to the head. Why is that so ******* hard for some people to understand.

Brown hit with the sholder, then followed thru with the bows.

Hudlers head was less maybe 48" off the ice. Whats more, Hudler was totally leading with his head, hence the "vulnerable" position he put himself into. Brown cannot be expectd to accomodate for Hudlers goofy body position. There is absolutely no way he could have avoided Hudlers mellon. If for some unexplainable reason Brown happend to be skating backewards so that it was totla incidental contact, Hudler still would have crashed and burned and had blood on the ice from his visor cutting his face from the body to body impact.

Hudlers head was less maybe 48" off the ice. Whats more, Hudler was totally leading with his head, hence the "vulnerable" position he put himself into. Brown cannot be expectd to accomodate for Hudlers goofy body position. There is absolutely no way he could have avoided Hudlers mellon. If for some unexplainable reason Brown happend to be skating backewards so that it was totla incidental contact, Hudler still would have crashed and burned and had blood on the ice from his visor cutting his face from the body to body impact.

The hit would have been fine had Browns shoulder not connected with Hudlers face. That's all there is to it.

He should have dropped his shoulder lower and made it a hit to the body you moron. He aimed for his head, he hit his head.... PLUS he was blindsiding him and knew it.... PLUS you get the picture.

You take away one of these elements and people say thats rough hockey. It was dirty and thats why you're getting called names for defending it because you condone cheaters i.e. rule violators.

Brown can be blamed for hitting him too late. If he would have hip checked him, he would have avoided his melon. Brown can give Stuart a call if Brown doesn't know how to do that. The hit was late, he went straight for the head; it's clear cut.

Brown can be blamed for hitting him too late. If he would have hip checked him, he would have avoided his melon. Brown can give Stuart a call if Brown doesn't know how to do that. The hit was late, he went straight for the head; it's clear cut.

Yeah and he wasnt just sightseeing in his skating lane, Brown's vector changed course and he went for it on purpose.

LOL, yeah. That's exactly what happened.

I'm not really with the sentiment that it was horribly late...watch it in real time, it happened fast. BUT he IS a professional athlete...he knows what he's doing. If you honestly think he didn't mean to hit Huds in the head with all his might, you're smoking crack...and crack is whack.

Edited by Pasha13

Liked Bab's comment in the post game interview on the hit.

"Well the league and the players association are big on protecting guys heads, so I am going to be just like you and watch and see"

That pretty much summed it up for me.

The lack of objectivity, the overwhelming Homersim, and the lame observation skills is symptomatic of a declining nation. North Amercia doesn't stand a chance. Good night, kids. Here's to a 1-0 series lead against the Ducks.smile_cheers.gif