• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

Question for Conspiracy Theorists

Rate this topic

Will someone please explain to me how the NHL is better off having some team from California in the Finals as opposed to the Wings?

I just don't buy these conspiracy theories based on the Wings popularity. The best bet for the league is if the Wings are in the Finals.

The Wings have traditionally garnered the league its best SCF ratings, so I doubt the league has a conspiracy to allow a team from Disneyland or a team from Vancouver into the Finals over the Wings.

The officiating in the NHL is just atrocious. It doesn't mean there's a conspiracy against us.

Although Im not a nhl conspiracy guy....

The wings have a huge fan base, them winning the cup again has no up side for the NHL gaining market share outside of the midwest. Cali and east coast = huge up side.

Everyone loves to see the Yankees lose too, no?

Will someone please explain to me how the NHL is better off having some team from California in the Finals as opposed to the Wings?

I just don't buy these conspiracy theories based on the Wings popularity. The best bet for the league is if the Wings are in the Finals.

The Wings have traditionally garnered the league its best SCF ratings, so I doubt the league has a conspiracy to allow a team from Disneyland or a team from Vancouver into the Finals over the Wings.

The officiating in the NHL is just atrocious. It doesn't mean there's a conspiracy against us.

I could buy that on one call. But it's the whole series. The Wings are continually getting screwed. It's not like the Hossa no-goal was the only thing the officials screwed up on the whole night. The Neidermayer goal was 2 bad plays in a row. Getzlaf slash to Osgood then Neidermayer RUNS Osgood with EVERYONE in the building seeing it clearly EXCEPT the official. When that happens, you know something is off.

Might have something to do with Bettman's desire to spread parity and not see a repeat Cup winner. Could also be more personal and simply just bias from a Canadian referee to give a heavily European team the shaft, surely we've never seen any instance of this behavior occur before :rolleyes: . Either way with the NBA referee point shaving scandel, you can not completely deny such a thing as a possibility.

Other possible motives could be wanting to avoid OT considering the already stirring debate about hockey OTs being too long, or simply an attempt to draw the series out longer (something that's been rather evident during finals) giving Anaheim the edge now before Detroit gets its injured back or wears out the Ducks. Think about it some and I;'m sure you can pick out a few more potential motives.

Edited by Vincanni

Because Wings fans will still watch the finals no matter if we are there or not, we are fans of an original six team and we love hockey. If the Ducks lose, their fans will go play shuffle board and sip their wine coolers with the little *** umbrellas in them.

I don't think there is a conspiracy.

i just love how classy Babs is about when calls are blown like that. He knows that sometimes the calls go your way, sometimes they don't. Sometimes the officials make the right call and some times they blow it. The thing to remember is that it DOES even out. It might not seem like it right now, and it might sting, but we will have our time in the sun again.

Because Wings fans will still watch the finals no matter if we are there or not, we are fans of an original six team and we love hockey. If the Ducks lose, their fans will go play shuffle board and sip their wine coolers with the little *** umbrellas in them.

What fans?

No Gary does hate us. I won't say he goes as far as rigs series, but he does favor some teams and players *Cough* Crosby *Cough* more than others. Yes the wings would boost the ratings, but fans of the NHL or any sport hate it when the same team keeps winning over and over.

Another valid point that could easily extend to all Canadian teams who've seen little success under the Bettman regime. Once again I all of these reason may be far fetched and Brad Watson is just an idiot and the NHL is a flawed league with pointless restrictions on what plays can be reviewed.

Ok, you drew me in. Here it goes. Gary Buttman all but guarnteed parity when the "staged" and "pre-planned" lockout took place in 2004. He guaranteed that he could put wining franchises in cities where most people don't know the difference bewteen Hockey and Jai Alai. Passing the Cup arund the "Bettman" cities allows him to market the fact that the lockout and salary cap (which he said HAD to be in the CBA or he'll shut the league down) would ceate NEW fan interest and generate NEW money. No matter who wins the Cup, the Detroit Red Wings will ALWAYS be the most popular team in the NHL. They will always sell millions and millions in merchandise. But give the Cup to likes of Anaheim, Carolina, Tampa Bay, now wer're talking NEW teams selling merchandise. Fot that one miracle season that team sold their arena out. Possibly the next season as well with fans hoping for a repeat performance. The more mney "HIS" teams make, the more money the NHL makes. Unfortunatelyt using this conspiracy, the CUP will NEVER return to Canada because Hockey popularity will NEVER die down up there! After a couple of years of handing the Cup around, there comes a year when he HAS to let the players decide the Cup, so as not to look TOO conspicuous(sp) and that is when a REAL team will win it, like Detroit or New Jersey. Think about it 2002 - Detroit, 2003 - Jersey, 2004 - Tampa, 2006 - Carolina, 2007 - Anaheim, 2008 - Detroit, 2009 - ? (Could be the year of the "FACE" of the NHL to win instead of a "Bettman" team.)

Well, you asked for it!

Edited by LeftWinger

s***ty call but we have to play through them. Maybe if we showed the f*** up in the 1st and most of the 2nd we wouldn't need to rely on the refs not having their heads up there asses

Ok, you drew me in. Here it goes. Gary Buttman all but guarnteed parity when the "staged" and "pre-planned" lockout took place in 2004. He guaranteed that he could put wining franchises in cities where most people don't know the difference bewteen Hockey and Jai Alai. Passing the Cup arund the "Bettman" cities allows him to market the fact that the lockout and salary cap (which he said HAD to be in the CBA or he'll shut the league down) would ceate NEW fan interest and generate NEW money. No matter who wins the Cup, the Detroit Red Wings will ALWAYS be the most popular team in the NHL. They will always sell millions and millions in merchandise. But give the Cup to likes of Anaheim, Carolina, Tampa Bay, now wer're talking NEW teams selling merchandise. Fot that one miracle season that team sold their arena out. Possibly the next season as well with fans hoping for a repeat performance. The more mney "HIS" teams make, the more money the NHL makes. Unfortunatelyt using this conspiracy, the CUP will NEVER return to Canada because Hockey popularity will NEVER die down up there! After a couple of years of handing the Cup around, there comes a year when he HAS to let the players decide the Cup and that is when a REAL team will win it, like Detroit. Think about it 2002 - Detroit, 2003 - Jersey, 2004 - Tampa, 2006 - Carolina, 2007 - Anaheim, 2008 - Detroit, 2009 - ? (Could be the year of the "FACE" of the NHL to win instead of a "Bettman" team.)

Well, you asked for it!

v-for-vendetta-comic-vs-film-20060317045305808-000.jpg

Theres no conspiracy against the Wings. Theres a conspiracy against teams that dominate over and over again, and who offer little room in growth of the sport. Theres a conspiracy for teams that need winning reputations to help build their fanbases.

Bettman is all about parity. Bettman is all about showing prospective NHL team owners and investors that an NHL team can make money, no matter where they are. Bettman implemented the cap system so that team owners of s***ty small market teams could still make money, and NHL owners wouldn't go selling off their teams, or closing up shop.

Bettman wants to show NHL investors that even s***ty small market teams with no fanbases - like the Ducks - can make money. But the only way he can do that, is if those teams actually have success and thus, make money.

Think of it this way. Why would Bettman want the Red Wings to win the Stanley Cup again? So he can go to small market owners and say "well, you don't really have a chance of success with big nasty teams like the Red Wings around. But please keep investing in your money-losing juggernaut." No. He wants to go to Anaheim and Tampa Bay and Carolina and say LOOK! "in this league ANYONE can win. So keep investing money into your franchise, and you too can hit the jackpot!"

Theres no conspiracy against the Wings. Theres a conspiracy against teams that dominate over and over again, and who offer little room in growth of the sport. Theres a conspiracy for teams that need winning reputations to help build their fanbases.

Bettman is all about parity. Bettman is all about showing prospective NHL team owners and investors that an NHL team can make money, no matter where they are. Bettman implemented the cap system so that team owners of s***ty small market teams could still make money, and NHL owners wouldn't go selling off their teams, or closing up shop.

Bettman wants to show NHL investors that even s***ty small market teams with no fanbases - like the Ducks - can make money. But the only way he can do that, is if those teams actually have success and thus, make money.

Think of it this way. Why would Bettman want the Red Wings to win the Stanley Cup again? So he can go to small market owners and say "well, you don't really have a chance of success with big nasty teams like the Red Wings around. But please keep investing in your money-losing juggernaut." No. He wants to go to Anaheim and Tampa Bay and Carolina and say LOOK! "in this league ANYONE can win. So keep investing money into your franchise, and you too can hit the jackpot!"

Bettman should run for President or Congress, he has all the symptoms.

I do not know what is the underlying reason for that but in order to Wings to win they must be head and shoulders above their opponents. That is what exactly we were last year in SCF. Our complete domination in each and every aspect of the game brought us that the Stanley Cup. In this series we are just slightly better than Anaheim...

Another valid point that could easily extend to all Canadian teams who've seen little success under the Bettman regime.

Vancouver will be in SCF this year. Mark my words. They are the only Canadian team left.

we cant swing an octopus anymore. why? bettman says its dangerous. because in 56 years of octopus throwing/ swinging i think like 400 players were injured and 25 died. right?

we are trapped in the West when we are in the eastern time zone and have rivalries with teams in the east. this makes no sense! bettman even came on our radio station and told valenti and foster that the wings rivalries with toronto and boston are replaced with new rivalries with st louis and nashville. try telling yankee fans that they wont play the red sox, but good news you can play the Cincinnati reds.

and the officiating!! this series its been terrible! last year the penguins got away with EVERYTHING! roberts blind sided fanzen in the head his 1st game back froma concussion, not even a ******* fine! what about the series vs anaheim in 2007 with that disgusting call on datsyuk leads to a fluke goal and they beat us. Mike Brown, not even fined when brasher gets 5 games for a similar play.

you can say theres no motive (which i disagree with) but there is a lot of evidence suggesting at least some favoritism.

Anyone in this thread that's using the "parity" argument has to sit back and consider the fact that Anaheim isn't some virginal, unclaimed hockey landscape. THEY WON THE CUP TWO YEARS AGO.

They are, in severe actuality, one team (Detroit) removed from being the defending champs. Explain to me how soft-serving them another cup is of any advantage to the league when they had 30 people at their parking lot "parade" when they won in 07.

Let's remove:

- Detroit, Chicago, and Boston from the equation (original six, long time fan-base status teams).

You're left with Vancouver, Pittsburgh, Washington, Carolina, and Anaheim.

- Carolina won in 2006.

- Anaheim won in 2007.

So let's scrub those two teams from The Official Bettman's Pets chalkboard.

You're left with: Pittsburgh, Vancouver, and Washington.

Considering that OMG ZORG!!@#$! a Canadian team will never win the cup, combined with the cold hard steely reality that the Penguins trail the Caps 2-0, then we can, based on thread-logic, crown Washington as the 2009 Stanley Cup Champions. Which, in itself, contradicts, Bettman's man-love for Crosby (rather than Ovechkin).

To many contradictions here.

The Wings need to play 60 minutes of hockey.

Edited by rick zombo