• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
egroen

This is Hilarious

Rate this topic

So on the front page of NHL.com, they had opposing images of Crosby and Ovechkin, framed by Gordie Howe and Rocket Richard.

My first initial thought was, "Oh no you did not [compare Crosby to Howe]... " -- It's just a bit early to be making those comparisons, don't you think? But I read the article anyways, and sure enough:

Was this the way it sounded – the way it resounded – in the Forum and the Olympia back in the early '50s, when Maurice Richard and the Canadiens were clashing with Gordie Howe and the Red Wings for the first of their seven series in 10 years? Was this the way it looked – the way it glittered with entire buildings clad in red or white – back then, the last time the NHL's two clear-cut best in the game met in a playoff series?

Was this the way it might have felt -- the way it might have pulsed -- in Pittsburgh and Edmonton or Los Angeles had Gretzky and Lemieux ever met in the postseason? Or at either end of the New Jersey Turnpike if the arbitrator had sent Eric Lindros to the Rangers in 1991, leaving the Flyers to keep Peter Forsberg and those two to battle six to eight times each season and then a few more times in the playoffs?

Full Article

Give me a break. :rolleyes:

The next one is the doozey, however --

Crosby raises his game -- again

I laughed, but I'm not gonna lie, I also tasted a bit o' byle.

Try reading it with "Eye of the Tiger" playing at full volume, to get the full effect.... :yowza:

Edited by egroen

But its not offensive to compare Ovechkin to Richard?

Relax, it goes both ways there.

I said "those comparisonS" -- Howe is one of the 4 best players of all time, and the Rocket is 5th or 6th.

No, not too early for those comparisons at all....

Edited by egroen

the last time the NHL's two clear-cut best in the game met in a playoff series?

pretty sure the comparisons end here.

Edited by 12Newf

Guest Shoreline

They're just comparing to how it was BACK IN THE 50s. No one knew what they know today about Howe and Richard. How isn't this feasible? It's a marketing gimmick, for crying out loud. So what?

I kinda think people who post all the time about Crosby love him more than they accuse Bettman and the NHL of doing. wank.gif

They're just comparing to how it was BACK IN THE 50s. No one knew what they know today about Howe and Richard. How isn't this feasible? It's a marketing gimmick, for crying out loud. So what?

I kinda think people who post all the time about Crosby love him more than they accuse Bettman and the NHL of doing. wank.gif

Oh, come now... even a tweener in Pittsburgh is going to admit those articles go a little overboard. They really cracked me up...

Don't get me wrong, both Crosby and Ovechkin are having/had a sweet run, but I do not think grown men are running scared yet from that gleam in Crosby's eyes! :P

Guest Shoreline
Oh, come now... even a tweener in Pittsburgh is going to admit those articles go a little overboard. They really cracked me up...

Don't get me wrong, both Crosby and Ovechkin are having/had a sweet run, but I do not think grown men are running scared yet from that gleam in Crosby's eyes! :P

Yeah, look at all the guys run away from Gretzky and Lemieux.. they see those stats and they just gtfo of their way. :P

Putting things into perspective, Ovechkin can eventually pass Gretzky in goals if he keeps this up for a handful more years. Crosby, well.. would easily be under Gretzky in points if he plays as long of a career as Stevie Y, Messier, and Howe did. There's usually never tandems like this, and it presents a good marketing angle.

Guest Shoreline
I'm just sick of him making the game a one-man show. Hockey is a TEAM sport.

Crosby? Given he usually about leads the league in assists, that would represent that someone else is scoring lots of goals from his passes. If he weren't a team player, especially a team leader, he wouldn't have been named captain. There's just no reason to think of him as an individual showboater. There's nothing at all to back this claim.

Crosby? Given he usually about leads the league in assists, that would represent that someone else is scoring lots of goals from his passes. If he weren't a team player, especially a team leader, he wouldn't have been named captain. There's just no reason to think of him as an individual showboater. There's nothing at all to back this claim.

It would to someone who's following the game to a decent degree, but the way the NHL showboats him as a way to draw in audiences makes it seem otherwise. As far as the media is concerned everything on his team seems to gravitate around him. Remember last year when he was injured for a long stretch? It was never 'Malkin comes up big for the Penguins (as he should given he has more points than him)', it's 'the Penguins somehow thrive without Crosby's semi-divine presence'. Or last year's trade deadline, did the analysts in Pittsburgh consider it a huge deal because of Hossa's personal numbers? Of course not, they saw him as little more than Crosby's Winger.

Even Pittsburgh fans I know are sick of the slant always being made towards one individual in a 20-person team.

*edit* I just realized that my initial comment wasn't entirely clear on what I meant by a one-man show, my bad.

Edited by Cern

3 of the best players in the NHL in the past 3 seasons, faced off in a 7 game epic series for hockey and the NHL ratings wise. All 3 performed great. Crosby and Ovechkin stood out over all. There's nothing wrong here, yes the NHL overblows things, they have to, their always trying to create new fans which really irks me because if they dont like it now, they probably wont, promote what you got to the real fans.

I wonder how mad people will get when/if the Pens make it to the Finals this year, and should we also make it back there and the Islanders/Oilers dynasty passing crap shows up on NHL.com :lol:

Guest Shoreline
It would to someone who's following the game to a decent degree, but the way the NHL showboats him as a way to draw in audiences makes it seem otherwise. As far as the media is concerned everything on his team seems to gravitate around him. Remember last year when he was injured for a long stretch? It was never 'Malkin comes up big for the Penguins (as he should given he has more points than him)', it's 'the Penguins somehow thrive without Crosby's semi-divine presence'. Or last year's trade deadline, did the analysts in Pittsburgh consider it a huge deal because of Hossa's personal numbers? Of course not, they saw him as little more than Crosby's Winger.

Even Pittsburgh fans I know are sick of the slant always being made towards one individual in a 20-person team.

*edit* I just realized that my initial comment wasn't entirely clear on what I meant by a one-man show, my bad.

I mean, I'm sure you know why Crosby gets the spotlight.. it's been this way for him since juniors at very least, and it isn't like he deserves it. Malkin just quietly gets lot of points, in a similar fashion. But yeah, the NHL is being run by a moron that thinks the league should force teams that can't sell tickets to remain in an area for eternity. I'm sure most of us are going to celebrate when he's gone. The Crosby novelty will wear off sooner or later, as well as the Penguins. The Wings do not really have the type of players who stand out as marketable like that, and quite honestly I'm damn glad. Wings just do their job. It's an extra lot of pressure to have the media eyes on you everywhere you go, even moreso than usual. Crosby has a lot of extra on his plate because of it too, which is why I have mostly praise for the kid. I couldn't deal with the media being up my ass all the time and reporting every time I took a weird s***.

Edited by Shoreline

I also found the following very upsetting

Crosby has been compared with Alex Ovechkin almost non-stop since the two arrived in the NHL together in 2005. Each has won major awards, each has guided his team into the playoffs -- but not until this year's Eastern Conference Semifinal series have the two been matched up head-to-head.

After seven rounds, it's no contest -- Crosby by knockout.

from here

really no contest? Give me a break!

that series was all about Fleury against Varlamov and Fleury won it easily. Plus 72 to 42 penalty minutes in favor of Pens. Two times more!!! Where are all these penalties in Anaheim - Detroit series? NHL is a f@#$ joke!

Edited by RusDRW

Crosbys lazy and sucks

/thread

Did we watch the same series? He was great in this series. I still don't like him but he was playing like a beast.

Agreed with OP that it is too early to start making those kinds of comparisons yet though.