• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
crabcakes'n'redwings

Wings V. Hawks. Early predictions

Rate this topic

Guest micah

Wings in 5.

Actually, I think Wings walk to the Cup from here. Their biggest challenge was the Ducks - I expect smooth sailing from here forward.

Wings in 5.

Actually, I think Wings walk to the Cup from here. Their biggest challenge was the Ducks - I expect smooth sailing from here forward.

Eh, don't count your chickens before they hatch. On paper, yes, no team can touch us. But in a real series, where injuries, momentum, and fluke plays determine the outcomes, who knows. Chicago is hot, they are hungry, but they are also inexperience and play a style of game the Wings have been known to dominate. This series should be the Wings playing their type of game, which means no team stands a chance, unlike the last series where they had to respond a lot to Anaheim's occasional dominance.

Also, what about the East? Pittsburgh is a dangerous, dangerous team this year. They have an axe to grind against us, they have about as experienced as the Wings were last year now. I'd say while on paper the Wings win easily, in reality it's probably evenly matched. And who knows about Carolina. THey shouldn't have made it this far, so I won't count them out as a threat, either.

That being said, I do have "the feeling" that I had last year. It just seems like fate is carrying the Wings forward to repeat, I don't know.

Don't underestimate the Hawks. I really think you guys should be favorites (who doesn't?), but all over the Vancouver boards I heard the same things about the series being easy, the Hawks being young/inexperienced, Vancouver matching up well etc.

You have to recognize that the Hawks have a LOT of offensive depth. Any of their 4 lines can score at any time, Adam Burish had a huge goal in each series so far. In addition, Quenneville has no qualms about playing ANYONE with ANYONE, the past 2 games he's had Patrick Sharp on a line with Burish and Eager. But the thing is, it doesn't matter who these guys play with we have weapons on every line. The Hawks scoring is MUCH MORE balanced than Anaheim who is a one-line team - essentially. That's what bit Vancouver, once the Hawks shut down the Sedin ginger twins the Hawks balance up front showed up over Vancouver's lackthereof. In addition to Toews and Kane, Marty Havlat is a beast, Patrick Sharp as well, Versteeg, Byfuglien, Eager can all score. We also have 3 great offensive defensemen in Keith, Campbell, and Barker. Our Power Play has been sick.

On the Blue Line, we have 2 of the best "shutdown" defensemen in the league, and I don't say that in any jest. Seabrook and Keith don't have the name recognition but they are right up there with the big boys. I'm not gonna be stupid and say that any combo is better than Rafalski/Lidstrom, but Keith and Seabrook finished the regular season +33 and +23 respectively. Lidstrom/Rafalski were +31/+17. Of course, Datsyuk is ridiculous at +34, but Marty Havlat was +29. Not too Shabby.

Add Keith and Seabrook to Campbell/Barker and the Hawks have a very strong top 4 with a LOT of offensive prowess for a D-group.

In addition, the Hawks have been playing great since the end of the season. They were like 13-4 in March, will be well rested, and have Jonathon Toews who has won a championship virtually EVERYWHERE he's ever played.

I think it's going to be tougher than you think boys and girls. I still think in the end you guys are a better team all around, but don't underestimate the Hawks. This series goes 6/7.

Hmm funny that Wiz logged only 11min and had to go out because of an errant elbow. Coughing up blood if I remember correctly. You're TOI stats are faulty.

Samsanov finished 5th in scoring for Carolina during the regular season and playoffs which makes your TOI stat even more impressive.

Thanks.

Actually, Samsonov finished the Semi-finals tied for 6th on a team that is 10th in goals per game during the playoffs. Also, explain to me how "an errant elbow" to the face bruised Wisniewski's lung?

Don't underestimate the Hawks. I really think you guys should be favorites (who doesn't?), but all over the Vancouver boards I heard the same things about the series being easy, the Hawks being young/inexperienced, Vancouver matching up well etc.

You have to recognize that the Hawks have a LOT of offensive depth. Any of their 4 lines can score at any time, Adam Burish had a huge goal in each series so far. In addition, Quenneville has no qualms about playing ANYONE with ANYONE, the past 2 games he's had Patrick Sharp on a line with Burish and Eager. But the thing is, it doesn't matter who these guys play with we have weapons on every line. The Hawks scoring is MUCH MORE balanced than Anaheim who is a one-line team - essentially. That's what bit Vancouver, once the Hawks shut down the Sedin ginger twins the Hawks balance up front showed up over Vancouver's lackthereof. In addition to Toews and Kane, Marty Havlat is a beast, Patrick Sharp as well, Versteeg, Byfuglien, Eager can all score. We also have 3 great offensive defensemen in Keith, Campbell, and Barker. Our Power Play has been sick.

On the Blue Line, we have 2 of the best "shutdown" defensemen in the league, and I don't say that in any jest. Seabrook and Keith don't have the name recognition but they are right up there with the big boys. I'm not gonna be stupid and say that any combo is better than Rafalski/Lidstrom, but Keith and Seabrook finished the regular season +33 and +23 respectively. Lidstrom/Rafalski were +31/+17. Of course, Datsyuk is ridiculous at +34, but Marty Havlat was +29. Not too Shabby.

Add Keith and Seabrook to Campbell/Barker and the Hawks have a very strong top 4 with a LOT of offensive prowess for a D-group.

In addition, the Hawks have been playing great since the end of the season. They were like 13-4 in March, will be well rested, and have Jonathon Toews who has won a championship virtually EVERYWHERE he's ever played.

I think it's going to be tougher than you think boys and girls. I still think in the end you guys are a better team all around, but don't underestimate the Hawks. This series goes 6/7.

Vancouver and Detroit are two very different machines, not comparable. I picked Chicago to beat the nucks but the Wings are a different beast. I think it may last a long as 6 games but my gut is saying 4-5. In 3-4 years from now, assuming Chi town can keep thier players, they will be a very, very tough team to beat.

Detroit scored an average of 3 goals and a bit on a very stingy Ducks defense and goaltender and they did this without many goals from top players. Hawks defense is not even close to that of the Ducks and the "Bulin wall" is not as hot as Hiller was.

It will be a quick series with lots of speed and probably some of the best plays in this years playoffs.

Vancouver and Detroit are two very different machines, not comparable. I picked Chicago to beat the nucks but the Wings are a different beast. I think it may last a long as 6 games but my gut is saying 4-5. In 3-4 years from now, assuming Chi town can keep thier players, they will be a very, very tough team to beat.

Detroit scored an average of 3 goals and a bit on a very stingy Ducks defense and goaltender and they did this without many goals from top players. Hawks defense is not even close to that of the Ducks and the "Bulin wall" is not as hot as Hiller was.

It will be a quick series with lots of speed and probably some of the best plays in this years playoffs.

Yes Vancouver is very different than Detroit. But I would disagree that the Hawks defense isn't close to the Ducks, maybe their top pair isn't as strong, but Keith and Seabrook can play with anyone when they're on. So "isn't close" isn't accurate but I'm NOT saying Keith/Seabrook are Niedermeyer/Pronger.

Bulin is definitely needing to play better as far as save % goes. He made some key saves though especially in game 6 against the nucks.

It's not that their not as good, but play a different style. The Ducks played a no-nonsense shutdown, physical approach. The Hawks are alot like the Red Wings defence, more backed off stick checky ready to go on offense at any time. It'll be easier for Detroit, but it wont be a cake walk by no means.

You have to recognize that the Hawks have a LOT of offensive depth.

They absolutely do. But it's not going to be enough.

For all the depth the Ducks lacked at forward, they made up for it with the most dominating line in hockey. Carlyle was relentless with that line, and that line was, in turn, relentless against the Wings. It took a monumental team effort to neutralize and overcome those three forwards. This, naturally, disrupted the Wings' standard system of negation. What do I mean by this? Basically, they typically count on their first line being better than the opposition's first line, and their second line being better than theirs (and in a lot of cases, the second line being better than the opposition's first), and so on. Being confronted with such a monstrous, utterly dominating first line meant that things had to be shaken up, juggled around. And that threw the Wings for a loop.

The 'hawks, while deeper up front than the Ducks, shouldn't rattle the Wings' system in that way. I like our first line against yours, our second against yours, our third against yours, our fourth against yours. Moreover, our grinders and role players were fantastic throughout the entire second round, so I expect them to be able to go toe-to-toe with your higher-ups when necessary.

As for D, I maintain that the Ducks' is second only to the Wings'. While, yes, many people may be underestimating the 'hawks' D, that doesn't necessarily mean it can hang with the Ducks'. Even if the 'hawks' D is pound-for-pound better than the Ducks', the thing you have to understand about the Ducks is that they're built as the anti-Wings; big, mean, nasty, smothering. If the Wings can overcome that D, nothing the 'hawks' D can offer should scare them.

'bulin shouldn't scare them either.

Edited by Dabura

Yeah thats what all the so called "experts" have been saying all throughout the first and second rounds. Guess we'll just have to see. Hawks have nothing to lose. The defending SC camps on the other hand do. Wings have a hell of a team. Thats a fact and of record. Blackhawks are on the come.

Huh? The Flames played horrible at the end of the season and are known choke artists- as in they've only passed the first round once in their team's history.

The Canucks thought pretty highly of themselves put possessed zero experience playing real playoff hockey.

I'm not saying the Wings will roll you, but they're the first veteran playoff team you've faced. This is your first really tough series. The first opponent that walks in with the advantage.

I was pretty confident the Hawks would beat the Flames, sure even, and I was confident they could beat the Canucks, although I wasn't sure they would get past Luongo, but I knew they'd at least give the Canucks a run for their money.

The Wings? This is a whole new ball game bud.

Again, either team could take this series- it's the conference finals, but as it stands now you're the underdog.

Rofl

And young. We'll be around for awhile. Retirements around the corner boys.

That comment is so old. Some girl on the NHL network mentioned how it's the "veteran" team against the "young" team. Look at all the young talent on this team. You gotta come with some better post than that.

Rofl

And young. We'll be around for awhile. Retirements around the corner boys.

Salary cap.

Sucks to be a team that had all of their talent come in at the same time. You guys should've spaced Kane and Toews out by a year... f*** dude- look at your roster... you have a terrifying set of RFA years coming.

The Blackhawks have solid goaltending and they're that scary sort of team that's too young to know what the hell's going on and what they're doing and why all the fuss.

But they also have no defense. I mean, their defense is on par with Columbus for scary-looking. I think Zetterberg and Datsyuk will once again be unleashed - the Blackhawks have nothing on the Ducks when it comes to defense. This pleases me and I think the Wings win before it has to come back to the Joe for a seventh game.

You're really underestimating Chicago's top pairing.

Huh? The Flames played horrible at the end of the season and are known choke artists- as in they've only passed the first round once in their team's history.

The Canucks thought pretty highly of themselves put possessed zero experience playing real playoff hockey.

I'm not saying the Wings will roll you, but they're the first veteran playoff team you've faced. This is your first really tough series. The first opponent that walks in with the advantage.

I was pretty confident the Hawks would beat the Flames, sure even, and I was confident they could beat the Canucks, although I wasn't sure they would get past Luongo, but I knew they'd at least give the Canucks a run for their money.

The Wings? This is a whole new ball game bud.

Again, either team could take this series- it's the conference finals, but as it stands now you're the underdog.

Uh, not to D-hole, but they did win some stuff in the late 80's

Wow... I don't know what everyone else is looking at but I think this series is at least going to hit 6 games. Their back end and forward depth may not be as good on paper but it's still no joke. They have a very unheralded roster outside of Tazer and Kane.

The Ducks were the Road block the Wings had to endure. This series will be a shortl lived one for the Hawks. Flying high on a series win against The Nucks will be their only celabration.

The Wings have owned the season series and will continue to expose the flaws of the Hawks. Yes the playoffs are a completly different beast. bust I see the WIngs winning in 5.

side note: The Pens will lose against the Canes.

It will be a rematch from 2002 for the Wings and We repeat as Champs.

Edited by tdinc