• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Flintstone Cicarelli

Flintstone Cicarelli

Rookie

• Pip
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:44 AM

As I sat in my local bar on the outskirts of Pittsburgh last night watching game 3, drinking a cold beer and swearing at Fluery everytime he bumbled out of the net and fumbled with the puck like a bear cub playing with his pecker with boxing gloves on; I couldn't but think "damn the Wings are killing us tonight".

Sure, we won. Sure, bounces and penalties and circumstances help the lesser playing team win a hockey game some nights.

But, I'll be damned if the rank and file Pens fans in the bar and the ones that streamed in coming from the game all had a voice of domination and Pens solid play etc etc etc. I sipped my beer silently and thought; christ all mighty, we better play more solid hockey in the next few games or we'll be watching the red and white hoist the hardware again. Three fans in the slot by Zetterberg and Franzen away from being a 5-2 hockey game; I saw it.

Then today, I visit this forum to see what the faithful Wingnuts are saying and I see threads about Cooke and Orpik and dirty play etc etc etc and I sipped my coffee and silently thought "When Krommie does it the Pens fans say the same thing".

It is all about perspective. Hockey fans have zero perspective and fine honed in homer feelings. And I love them. Sit in a bar and listen during the next game; you'll hear the worst hockey color commentary from the gin soaked louts to the right and left.

I love hockey fans.

I read twitterings of Bettman's hands on the game and his orchestrating a ratings series and I laugh. I wonder why he didn't give the Pens game 1 to make it real interesting. I wonder how he moves the post to deflect shots when he needs it too. I wonder how he knows that the 4 or 5 power plays he allowed the refs to call in each game would be enough to keep his master plan on track.

I love hockey fans. I do.

Heres to a great game 4, 5 and hopefully 6 or 7. I'll love every comment, off-based ranting diatribe, sickening me-focused screed and every bashing, tongue lashing and intra-hockey-fan-forum fight.

And my sphincter will buckle everytime I see a huge mule in the crease untouched and a sharp shooter in red left open at the point while my team in black stand dizzily watching. I'll sip my beer and wonder why in God's name someone doesn't d-up the point man and chuck the crease squatter.

I love hockey fans. I love hockey. I do.

Edited by Flintstone Cicarelli, 03 June 2009 - 11:52 PM.

#2 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:52 AM

Best thing i have read on here in awhile and 100% true.

Couldnt agree more clap.gif

Welcome to the boards

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#3 TheCaptain19

TheCaptain19

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:54 AM

so you're mitch albom now?

#4 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE (TheCaptain19 @ June 3, 2009 - 10:54AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think Mitch Albom would say "sphincter" wink.gif

Seriously though, that post is excellent. It really rings true.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#5 Flintstone Cicarelli

Flintstone Cicarelli

Rookie

• Pip
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE (TheCaptain19 @ June 3, 2009 - 10:54AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For today. Tomorrow I might try on my Peter King. You'll love me when i am Andy Rooney.

Did you even notice that they call it "icing", the whole thing is ice, wouldn't any shot technically be icing.....when i was a kid we called cake frosting "icing".

#6 Wombat

Wombat

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:04 AM

Awesome post! It seems hockey fans aren't immune from the culture to blame someone/thing else for failings and to only see things from one side. This series has been great so far!

#7 spydrwebb

spydrwebb

Hockeytown West

• Gold Booster
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:04 AM

IPB Image

*live, love, learn... leave a legend*

#8 hockeysattva

hockeysattva

got a jaywalking ticket for wearing a wings jersey

• PipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:05 AM

+3
"He think he the Mack!"
"Maccaroni."

#9 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:06 AM

Actually, I thought it was a great post. Welcome and please stick around.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#10 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:17 AM

thumbup.gif thumbup.gif thumbup.gif

If you're not writing for a living then it's time to say f*** Off to your boss.

Really!

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#11 wingsgirl001

wingsgirl001

Hey Hey, Hockeytown!

• Gold Booster
  • 6,752 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:17 AM

Hahaha! Wow!

Great post! thumbup.gif

Welcome to the boards, hope you stick around!

i57ouh.jpg

Captain Z!

#12 Stiffy

Stiffy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:02 PM

It is pretty much a direct swipe of the Albom format/style (nothing new - Albom probably stole it too) and the sphincter line was rather contrived, awkward and forced. Hint, if someone on a hockey forum tells you that you have great writing, consider the source. Don't quit that day job just yet.

#13 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:08 PM

Amusing post, but Kronwall != Cooke

#14 dlawings

dlawings

Jr. Prospect

• 24 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:16 PM

Great Post from a non-wings fan.

To be able to post beyond your local supported team, is a plus!!

Keep posting, I really enjoyed it.

I too am a hockey fan, but of course Anaheim Ducks are my team. However; I support the Western Conference teams no matter WHAT!! Go Wings in 6!!

#15 DatsMyWings13

DatsMyWings13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:21 PM

Like everyone before me has said . . . Great post. Everything you said is so very true.

#16 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE (Flintstone Cicarelli @ June 3, 2009 - 11:00AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For today. Tomorrow I might try on my Peter King. You'll love me when i am Andy Rooney.

Did you even notice that they call it "icing", the whole thing is ice, wouldn't any shot technically be icing.....when i was a kid we called cake frosting "icing".

^^I couldn't help but read that in Andy Rooney voice. Nice posts.
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#17 Flintstone Cicarelli

Flintstone Cicarelli

Rookie

• Pip
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE (Stiffy @ June 3, 2009 - 01:02PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is pretty much a direct swipe of the Albom format/style (nothing new - Albom probably stole it too) and the sphincter line was rather contrived, awkward and forced. Hint, if someone on a hockey forum tells you that you have great writing, consider the source. Don't quit that day job just yet.

I'd dare say it is a tossup (or a faceoff) whether or not to find credence in the advice from a hockey forum resident or a poster with a nom de plume fashioned after an adolescent term for an erection. Contrived indeed. (some sort of smiling emoticon)

#18 StaticWithABeat

StaticWithABeat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:30 PM

After losing to Edmonton in 2006 I gave up looking at blown calls/non-calls, bad bounces, injuries, and everything else as causes for an inferior team unjustly beating a more deserving one. Life became much less stressful once I accepted these things as random, uncontrollable factors that must be defeated just like any other opponent. IMO, the better team always wins. If you can't play well enough to overcome adverse factors that every team faces to one extent or another then you probably aren't meant to be a champion.

#19 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:31 PM

Any person that can find a logical use of the word sphincter is good s*** in my books !!

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#20 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:38 PM

I've learned that every fan thinks the league is out to get their team. Pens fans think the refs want the Wings to win and Wings fans think the refs want the pens to win. (is it just me or is that a mouth full?)

The truth?

That the refs want the pens to win, duh.

Edited by Z and D for the C, 03 June 2009 - 12:39 PM.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!