• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingfanatic4alltime

Conn Smyth

Rate this topic

The Conn Smythe pretty much has Chris Osgood written on it already, unless Pittsburgh comes back (they won't). Malkin wouldn't win it if they lost because Crosby is only a few points behind him in scoring and as equally as important to his team, especially in the Washington series. If for some horrrrrible reason Pittsburgh did win, i'd say it depends on who drives the huge 2-game comeback, Malkin or Crosby, or Fleury if he gets back-to-back shutouts.

Even though I think Osgood deserves it considering the amount of flack he was taking before the playoffs started, I suspect that Malkin is going to get it one way or another. If it comes down to the Conn Smythe or the Cup, I'm sure any member of the Wings' would be happy to give up it up for the Cup.

Edited by Mors

Malkins 14 goals and 21 assists are the best in the last 10 years. In fact, no one has topped 30 points in the last 10 years. Malkin has made his case for the Conn Smyth and I certainly wouldn't complain if he won it.

If we're going to go down that road I'd give it to Crosby. The reason Malkin has done so well, at least against us, is because the Wings have deemed Crosby the more dangerous of the 2.

How many pts does Malkin get in the finals if he had the Zetterberg blanket on him instead. Making Crosby the priority is why Malking gets the room he gets. The short of it is the Wings have made Crosby the most valuable on Pitt. by the way they play him.

The language for the Hart and Conn Smythe is vague. The Hart generally goes to the "best" player in the NHL, but its criteria is the player who is deemed most valuable to his team in the league, meaning that the award should probably go to someone whose team could not win without them. For example, Mason in Columbus, Kovy in Atlanta, Ovechkin certainly..

The Conn has the same language in its criteria so "who should win it" is rather murky.

You don't even know. We're worthless without him... if he doesn't sign next year, I'm not too optimistic about the future of our franchise.

Malkins 14 goals and 21 assists are the best in the last 10 years. In fact, no one has topped 30 points in the last 10 years. Malkin has made his case for the Conn Smyth and I certainly wouldn't complain if he won it.

I would. I think the Smythe belongs with the winning team, period - except for seven-game losses when it's completely clear the losing team could never possibly have made it even remotely close to that far except for the efforts of a certain player AND there's no clearcut choice on the winning team. Giguere's win fit that. But if the Pens lose and Malkin wins the Smythe? I'd complain. And I suspect the general feeling of the boards at large would be rage-spitting furious.

If we're going to go down that road I'd give it to Crosby. The reason Malkin has done so well, at least against us, is because the Wings have deemed Crosby the more dangerous of the 2.

How many pts does Malkin get in the finals if he had the Zetterberg blanket on him instead. Making Crosby the priority is why Malking gets the room he gets. The short of it is the Wings have made Crosby the most valuable on Pitt. by the way they play him.

Its more based on overall performance. So if there are 2 key players, and the team shuts down one of them, the one that rampages or finds ways around the defense to score is going to win the award. That being said, Crosby has also been good, but I don't see him winning the Conn Smyth over Malkin. Malkin has had too good of a postseason run to be denied. The only reason the Wings fans are pissed off about Malkin winning it is because the award will go to a Pens player in a losing cause. Malkin has deserved it. I am a Wings fan, but I am also a hockey fan and have seen his play. He has played the most complete games and has been the MVP for the playoffs thats for sure.

Yeah I don't think you need to win the cup to be the mvp of the playoffs. Giggy is the perfect example. He was amazing all the way till the end in 03. Without him no way the Ducks get past the Wings probably, let alone to game 7 of the cup finals.

I would. I think the Smythe belongs with the winning team, period - except for seven-game losses when it's completely clear the losing team could never possibly have made it even remotely close to that far except for the efforts of a certain player AND there's no clearcut choice on the winning team. Giguere's win fit that. But if the Pens lose and Malkin wins the Smythe? I'd complain. And I suspect the general feeling of the boards at large would be rage-spitting furious.

A bunch of rabid biased fans would be rage-spitting furious? I am sure the league is quaking in their boots.

Its obvious that we both have different lines of thinking here. At least you believe that Giguere deserved the Conn Smythe. I believed that as well. His play in every series was the reason the Ducks made it as far as they did. There was no close call to be honest. Giguere had a sparkling .945 save percentage and a 1.62 GAA. That was better than any goalie in the playoffs.

From a pure stats standpoint, its hard to argue against Malkin getting the MVP of the playoffs. As I said before, 35 points is hard to argue against. He is the first 30+ point performer in the playoffs in over 10 years. If Malkin gets the award, I won't be surprised thats for sure. Wings fans shouldn't be surprised either. They can be pissed, but the shouldn't be surprised. :D

The Conn Smyth is for the best player in the playoffs. It doesn't happen that often that it goes to a losing teams player but when it does they deserve it. Giguere hands down deserved it when he walked away with it. Right now Malkin is in the front running for the Conn Smyth along with Z and Ozzie. If Malking wins it but we win the cup who cares. Detroit will have the trophy that matters!

they can skate with conn we can skate with stanley.....picture it now Malkin sobbing around the ice with crosby diving....entire red wings organization around with stanley.

Yea that has to be a crappy feeling, knowing that you're skating around the rink with a worthless trophy while the other team skates with the Holy Grail.

Yea that has to be a crappy feeling, knowing that you're skating around the rink with a worthless trophy while the other team skates with the Holy Grail.

From a rec league standpoint, it sucks too. I remember about 7 years ago I played in a weekend tournament. I played the best 5 games of my life in net and we lost in the finals 2-1. I was awarded the MVP of the tournament, and I was pretty jaded because the other team was skating around with the trophy I wanted. I really couldn't stomach looking at that MVP trophy until about 6 months later.

When Gretzky and the Kings made their unsuccessful run to the Finals in 1993, his 40 points (4th highest all-time) weren't enough win it. This coming from a guy that scored hat trick in a Game 7, no less.

If the Wings hang on and win it tonight, maybe I wouldn't complain, because he has been tremendous, but there's certainly precedent for a great performance by a forward not being enough to win the Conn Smythe in a losing effort.

How many pts does Malkin get in the finals if he had the Zetterberg blanket on him instead.

I see a lot of people making this point. And it's true enough. But I doubt the Powers That Be go that far in their thinking. What Malkin has done matters more than what he would've/wouldn't have done had ____ happened.

Edited by Dabura

It's gone to the losing team 5 times, 4 times to the goaltender (Roger Crozier and Glenn Hall are the two you are missing) and once to a forward, Reggie Leach

If the Wings win then the only Penguin I see with a shot to win it would be Malkin.

If the Pens win then, obviously, Malkin would get it barring Crosby taking over and willing the Pens to the two straight victories they need. I don't see a Wing being able to stake claim to a legitimate reason to break from tradition.

If they really want to break from tradition though, they could give it to Ovechkin. I mean he is still in the Top 5 goal scorers in the post season and the Caps have been out for two rounds and without him, I don't know if the Caps get out of the first round.

Well i have been corrected, i guess my memory is not the source i thought it was haha. I still think the winning team will take home the Conn Smythe this year tho.