#261 reggiedunlop

reggiedunlop

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE (55fan @ June 15, 2009 - 02:02PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why, Nick Lidstrom, of course!

Seriously, Sid is in a nasty position. He can't fart without people analyzing what he might have eaten to produce it. He has held up quite well, especially for one so young. I'd be wishing for my life back. I don't deny his talent, nor his abilities.

I have to ask why the league needs a poster child. Why not showcase young, up-and-coming talent alongside veterans who have earned their status?

Back to the topic: When Lidstrom won the Cup for the first time as Captain, he had already won other Cups as an alternate, as well as being a Conn Smythe winner. He was probably more aware of what to expect, and how things went on the ice as far as emotions and overcoming circumstance in favour of protocol. If Sid wins again, I am sure he will make a concentrated effort to be leading the handshake line.

if you live in pittsburgh, or follow pittsburgh media, and have seen or heard sid address the handshake issue, you would know it was not on purpose and that he regrets it happening.

Edited by reggiedunlop, 15 June 2009 - 01:05 PM.

Gloves off, stick down, no warning, he challenged the Pens!

#262 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE (Sid the Kid @ June 13, 2009 - 05:23PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like it or not, Sidney Crosby is the face of the NHL in the same manner Peyton Manning is the face of the NFL ..... That's just marketing folks ... it is what it is.

Nobody is asking for your approval. I'm sure if the NHL elected to make on of the Wings players the face of the league you all would have no problem with it.

ARE THESE f***S STILL ON LETS GO WINGS?!?!?!?!

go back to your penguin s*** site and quit trolling up this site!

btw....the wings are about the TEAM, not a couple "superstars" that run the show there. they don't need to have the face of the NHL.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#263 DZ13

DZ13

All You Need Is Glove

• 40 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE (reggiedunlop @ June 15, 2009 - 01:02PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kane would be great........ should be more than one person to begin with. dont get me wrong, i love crosby being on my team as a player, but i totally understand people getting sick of seeing him. but you cant have a brain in your head (not talking about you) if you come on this or any other board and say that he sucks as a player.

Of course. In my oppinion he is a Top-10 player in the League.

11-Time Stanley Cup Champions

#264 reggiedunlop

reggiedunlop

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE (deeznutz @ June 15, 2009 - 02:05PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ARE THESE f***S STILL ON LETS GO WINGS?!?!?!?!

go back to your penguin s*** site and quit trolling up this site!

btw....the wings are about the TEAM, not a couple "superstars" that run the show there. they don't need to have the face of the NHL.

normally do not bother responding to the small minded ones here, but here i go.............. wondering how we beat you with our "superstars" so quiet in the scf. perhaps we are about the TEAM as well.

your always colorful use of language is amusing. bet you are enjoying summer vacation.

#265 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,904 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE (reggiedunlop @ June 15, 2009 - 01:04PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if you live in pittsburgh, or follow pittsburgh media, and have seen or heard sid address the handshake issue, you would know it was not on purpose and that he regrets it happening.

That's pretty much what I meant in saying he would not do it next time. He was in a new situation, the most exciting of his life. I'm sure he was surrounded by people and just lost track of what was going on. I don't think it was on purpose at all. He did join in eventually. I think if he had the experience that Lidstrom had of having won it before he got the C, he would have been more aware. That's not a snub on Sid. It's easy to get carried away in the moment.

#266 reggiedunlop

reggiedunlop

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE (55fan @ June 15, 2009 - 02:08PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's pretty much what I meant in saying he would not do it next time. He was in a new situation, the most exciting of his life. I'm sure he was surrounded by people and just lost track of what was going on. I don't think it was on purpose at all. He did join in eventually. I think if he had the experience that Lidstrom had of having won it before he got the C, he would have been more aware. That's not a snub on Sid. It's easy to get carried away in the moment.

if i won i would soil myself!!!!!!!!!!!! , so i will forgive all a few accidental protocol breaches.

#267 CROZ87

CROZ87

Jr. Prospect

• 26 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE (DZ13 @ June 15, 2009 - 01:58PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well you told me to put on my marketing hat. Bettman wants the NHL to be exciting, excitment draws fans. That "you never know what hes going to do next" playing style is marketable. Younger fans see him falling on his back and knees, and still putting the puck in the back of the net? Dont you think that impresses them?

Okay, so the English, and not so pretty face..

Why not Patrick Kane? Do I think hes better then Crosby? No, but I think hes just as marketable. Young star, original six team. Better years are head of him, and hes already made a WCF appearence.

Unfortanately, outside of people that follow hockey, if you would go down the road and ask who Patrick Kane was, no one would know.

The only two names the casual fan knows is Crosby and Ovechkin, (a possiblity of Malkin).

I personally would love to see those three marketed, along with Toews, Kane, Richards, Semin, Green, and vets like Zetterberg, Lindstrom, Hossa, Gaborik, Igllina (sp??) but the casual crowd doesn't even know one of their names. So the NHL needs to draw them with a recognizable name.

Just like the NBA. I don't follow it. Pgh doesn't have a team. But I'll watch when Lebron is on. I'm sure people are sick of him and Kobe. But watching Lebron, it drew me in and now I like Howard of the Magic. I'll watch him now too.

#268 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,619 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE (reggiedunlop @ June 15, 2009 - 01:45PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok, so put on your marketing hat. who would you pick to be the league poster child?

Ovechkin, Thornton, Kane, Lidstrom, Iginla, Luongo, Zetterberg, Nash, Brodeur, Datsyuk, Getzlaf, Lecavalier.

12 players who the NHL needs to be marketing.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#269 Mike

Mike

Population: 11 Banners

• Gold Booster
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE (Hockeytown0001 @ June 15, 2009 - 02:13PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ovechkin, Thornton, Kane, Lidstrom, Iginla, Luongo, Zetterberg, Nash, Brodeur, Datsyuk, Getzlaf, Lecavalier.

Steve Mason would be another nice marketing option. He is young and a great goalie.

Sig by TeeMan

#270 reggiedunlop

reggiedunlop

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE (Hockeytown0001 @ June 15, 2009 - 02:13PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

which is why you arent in marketing ha ha. kidding of course

#271 DZ13

DZ13

All You Need Is Glove

• 40 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (CROZ87 @ June 15, 2009 - 01:10PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unfortanately, outside of people that follow hockey, if you would go down the road and ask who Patrick Kane was, no one would know.

The only two names the casual fan knows is Crosby and Ovechkin, (a possiblity of Malkin).

I personally would love to see those three marketed, along with Toews, Kane, Richards, Semin, Green, and vets like Zetterberg, Lindstrom, Hossa, Gaborik, Igllina (sp??) but the casual crowd doesn't even know one of their names. So the NHL needs to draw them with a recognizable name.

Just like the NBA. I don't follow it. Pgh doesn't have a team. But I'll watch when Lebron is on. I'm sure people are sick of him and Kobe. But watching Lebron, it drew me in and now I like Howard of the Magic. I'll watch him now too.

Well if Crosby wasnt talked of often, and marketed early would they know him still? I mean, what if Patrick Kane or another young player was treated the EXACT same way Crosby was when we came into the league? You never really know..

Personally, I would like to see more then one player be the face as well. It was nice to see it sort of go from Crosby to Crosby/Ovechkin.

11-Time Stanley Cup Champions

#272 reggiedunlop

reggiedunlop

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE (DZ13 @ June 15, 2009 - 02:18PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well if Crosby wasnt talked of often, and marketed early would they know him still? I mean, what if Patrick Kane or another young player was treated the EXACT same way Crosby was when we came into the league? You never really know..

Personally, I would like to see more then one player be the face as well. It was nice to see it sort of go from Crosby to Crosby/Ovechkin.

absolutely, a good mix of old and new would be great.

#273 CROZ87

CROZ87

Jr. Prospect

• 26 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE (DZ13 @ June 15, 2009 - 02:18PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed 100%. The more players out there, the better.

#274 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

Huckleberry?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (Mike @ June 15, 2009 - 02:14PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Steve Mason would be another nice marketing option. He is young and a great goalie.

So was Dan Ellis.

#275 TLinsday09

TLinsday09

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE (reggiedunlop @ June 15, 2009 - 02:10PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if i won i would soil myself!!!!!!!!!!!! , so i will forgive all a few accidental protocol breaches.

That's all he had to say but he chose to take a different route.
The Marines have landed and the situation is well in hand.

#276 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE (Mtl-PenFan @ June 15, 2009 - 11:24AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Remember, you can't spell Kris Draper without "Kid Raper"

Time for you to go, son. Leave before you get hurt.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#277 reggiedunlop

reggiedunlop

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:48 PM

QUOTE (TLinsday09 @ June 15, 2009 - 02:34PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's all he had to say but he chose to take a different route.

think the microscope on him is a little too small. and im sure he is a little sick of being called out for everything opposing fans see as unacceptable behavior by a 21 yr old.

i can see the team that lost not wanting to hang around on the ice to watch the winning team celebrate, i can see the team that won wanting to celebrate with their teamates. so he didnt rush over to shake hands for a few minutes, give him a freakin break, he just won the stanley cup. maybe we in pittsburgh should be complaining that lidstrom didnt wait long enough before returning to the locker room. which would be whiney of us.

im guessing in every cup not every player gets to shake hands with every player.

if draper is bored and really wants to dwell on it.... look at the players that were still in line that crosby shook hands with. im guessing there were a few there that crosby would have way more reason to be pissed at than lidstrom .

having said all that, im sure he has learned from this and will not make the same mistake again

Edited by reggiedunlop, 15 June 2009 - 01:51 PM.

#278 chriskzoo

chriskzoo

Draftee

• 10 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE (reggiedunlop @ June 15, 2009 - 02:04PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's funny, because today he said, and I quote: “I have no regrets. I’ve been on both sides of it, and it’s not fun being on the losing end. But it doesn’t change anything. You still shake hands no matter what.”

What's curious is that every other Penguin made it through the line and the first 6 or 7 Wings in line and Crosby was over blowing Bettman or whatever the heck he was doing.

I'm actually glad he did it because it gives the Wings motivation to annhilate him next year.

#279 reggiedunlop

reggiedunlop

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE (chriskzoo @ June 15, 2009 - 02:49PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's funny, because today he said, and I quote: “I have no regrets. I’ve been on both sides of it, and it’s not fun being on the losing end. But it doesn’t change anything. You still shake hands no matter what.”

What's curious is that every other Penguin made it through the line and the first 6 or 7 Wings in line and Crosby was over blowing Bettman or whatever the heck he was doing.

I'm actually glad he did it because it gives the Wings motivation to annhilate him next year.

does not regret it because he did not do it intentionally.

enjoy summer vacation

Edited by reggiedunlop, 15 June 2009 - 01:53 PM.

#280 tazzer82

tazzer82

Playoff time

• PipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (reggiedunlop @ June 15, 2009 - 01:48PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
think the microscope on him is a little too small. and im sure he is a little sick of being called out for everything opposing fans see as unacceptable behavior by a 21 yr old.

i can see the team that lost not wanting to hang around on the ice to watch the winning team celebrate, i can see the team that won wanting to celebrate with their teamates. so he didnt rush over to shake hands for a few minutes, give him a freakin break, he just won the stanley cup. maybe we in pittsburgh should be complaining that lidstrom didnt wait long enough before returning to the locker room. which would be whiney of us.

im guessing in every cup not every player gets to shake hands with every player.

if draper is bored and really wants to dwell on it.... look at the players that were still in line that crosby shook hands with. im guessing there were a few there that crosby would have way more reason to be pissed at than lidstrom .

having said all that, im sure he has learned from this and will not make the same mistake again

Draper didn't mention it because he was bored, he mentioned it because Crosby didn't show the respect that he should have. As for him wanting to celebrate with his team, that's fine. But his interview could have waited until after he went through and shook hands with everyone. You celebrate with your team for a few minutes after the game ends, gather yourself long enough to go through the line and shake hands, and then do your interviews or whatever else. Lidstrom shouldn't have to wait on Crosby, so you even saying that maybe you guys should complain that Lids didn't wait long enough is just ridiculous. Draper is not the only one who didn't take kindly to it either.

I was a little bit surprised when I shook everyone's hands, their players and their coaches, Lidstrom said. I think Sidney was just caught up in the moment and he was still celebrating, and I think that's why he never came over and shook hands.

http://www.freep.com...off controversy

"I think you should do it after a series, shaking hands. I don't know why he didn't do it,'' Zetterberg said Monday, after players cleaned out their lockers. "I think it's disrespectful. I don't know the reason he didn't do it, but I hope he has a really good one.''

http://www.mlive.com...terberg_ca.html

Edited by tazzer82, 15 June 2009 - 02:17 PM.

“The only people Chris Osgood owes anything to are himself and his teammates.” - Mickey Redmond