335 replies to this topic

#1 timothy1997

timothy1997

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:55 PM

Link

Not really surprised if this is true. Just goes to show you how inmature Crosby is.

#2 Redline

Redline

Rookie

• Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:04 PM

Would everyone please lay off of Crosby!

Little, whiney, crybaby, cabana boy, league owned, spoiled, cream puff of a Gary's kid, has feelings too!

Doesn't surprise me all that much I guess. It's always about Sid, Sid all the time, 24/7. Sid ain't got no time for the likes of Nick.

#3 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:10 PM

For some reason I doubt he did it on purpose. I'm not going to defend him either, but the seems to be a rather useless thing to do in my opinion. Who knows, I couldn't even watch the hand shakes so I have no idea what actually happened though.

#4 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:16 PM

Meh. Part of me couldn't care less, but the other part thinks it's a captain's responsibility to do the right thing and set an example. Whatever. Enjoy the Cup, Sid. It's coming back to Detroit next year.
*this space for rent*

#5 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:21 PM

Sid is NOT the face of the NHL. He's the disgrace of the NHL. If anything, he should have shook hands with Nick--should have went out of his way to make sure he shook his hand.

Edited by Hockeymom1960, 13 June 2009 - 05:25 PM.

#6 Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid

Jr. Prospect

• Restricted
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:23 PM

Like it or not, Sidney Crosby is the face of the NHL in the same manner Peyton Manning is the face of the NFL ..... That's just marketing folks ... it is what it is.

Nobody is asking for your approval. I'm sure if the NHL elected to make on of the Wings players the face of the league you all would have no problem with it.
"Lord Stanley, Lord Stanley .... bring me the brandy!"

#7 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,662 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:24 PM

Good thing is, he's been exposed. I have not met ONE person outside of Pittsburgh who likes this kid. NHL has failed.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#8 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (Sid the Kid @ June 13, 2009 - 06:23PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like it or not, Sidney Crosby is the face of the NHL in the same manner Peyton Manning is the face of the NFL ..... That's just marketing folks ... it is what it is.

Nobody is asking for your approval. I'm sure if the NHL elected to make on of the Wings players the face of the league you all would have no problem with it.

Sorry but you're wrong. Do you realize how many ppl HATE Sidney Crosby--not just Wing's fans???? You don't have a clue. The NHL doesn't have a clue. Ovechkin is the face of the NHL not that idiot that Canada's spawned.

#9 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:31 PM

Uhh, that's a terrible example. First of all, the NFL markets many MANY people, not just one. Which is a major reason why it's so successful. Second, Peyton is actually mature and well respected around the league, unlike Mr. Crosby who was voted whiniest player by the other NHL players...

#10 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:37 PM

My god...all this whining...I bet these are the same people who go on other forums to drag out quotes of fans of other teams complaining.

Draper is just pissed off cos hes a one-dimensional player who's career is near its end.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#11 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:37 PM

So you want to start with Ifs?

If you weren't a Pens fan you would think he's a whiny ***** like everyone else does.

You must not get out much.

And you're right. Lidstrom would be a much better face for the league. At least everyone wouldn't be snearing at him.

Edited by MidMichSteve, 13 June 2009 - 05:41 PM.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#12 Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid

Jr. Prospect

• Restricted
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE (Hockeymom1960 @ June 13, 2009 - 06:30PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry but you're wrong. Do you realize how many ppl HATE Sidney Crosby--not just Wing's fans???? You don't have a clue. The NHL doesn't have a clue. Ovechkin is the face of the NHL not that idiot that Canada's spawned.

For every adult hockey fan that you claim "hates" Sid .... there are 5 kids wearing his jersey. In fact, Sid's jersey has led the NHL jersey sales for the past 2 years now (and that was pre-Stanley Cup!)

See .... when you're on top of the mountain .... many people want nothing more than to bring you down.
"Lord Stanley, Lord Stanley .... bring me the brandy!"

#13 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE (Sid the Kid @ June 13, 2009 - 06:39PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For every adult hockey fan that you claim "hates" Sid .... there are 5 kids wearing his jersey. In fact, Sid's jersey has led the NHL jersey sales for the past 2 years now (and that was pre-Stanley Cup!)

See .... when you're on top of the mountain .... many people want nothing more than to bring you down.

That's the problem..they are kids. Kids don't know better, lol.

#14 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE (Hockeymom1960 @ June 13, 2009 - 06:44PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's the problem..they are kids. Kids don't know better, lol.

And they believe commercials are real. They think Pittsburgh won 2 cups in a row.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#15 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE (Sid the Kid @ June 13, 2009 - 06:39PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If they saw a constant stream of Pronger commercials too, they would all be Pronger fans...

#16 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (MidMichSteve @ June 13, 2009 - 06:47PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And they believe commercials are real. They think Pittsburgh won 2 cups in a row.

laugh.gif

#17 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE (CrimsonFlame @ June 13, 2009 - 03:31PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Uhh, that's a terrible example. First of all, the NFL markets many MANY people, not just one. Which is a major reason why it's so successful. Second, Peyton is actually mature and well respected around the league, unlike Mr. Crosby who was voted whiniest player by the other NHL players...

This argument about the NHL not marketing anyone else besides Crosby has already been defeated before..

QUOTE (revmo10 @ June 6, 2009 - 11:37PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why does the NHL think that people outside of Pittsburgh need to see Crosby so much anyway? The league has a ton of tremendous young superstars and they need to spread the marketing around to make it look like it is a league full of elite hockey players playing at the highest level. Instead, they are trying to shove Crosby this and Crosby that down everyones throats and I'm pretty sure most people are getting sick of seeing his face everywhere. What good is to try to make the "casual" fan only see Crosby? Especially when Crosby's own team even has a better player than him! They need to broaden their marketing to showcase how great the entire league is...not just Cindy Crosby.
QUOTE (Shoreline @ June 6, 2009 - 11:47PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thornton, Naslund, Kovalchuk, Turco, Ovechkin, Sundin, Theodore, Lecavalier, Richards, Sedin twins, Ray, Havlat, Phaneuf, and on and on. Just off the top of my head regarding promos and commercials.

People with a Crosby obsession remind me of the Flamingos song "I Only Have Eyes for You". You give more attention to Crosby than the NHL even does.

It's just obvious as day most Wings fans do not like Crosby therefore do not like seeing him on TV. I can understand how it gets annoying seeing the same face but despite one's claims about how many people hate Crosby, he's a top seller of jerseys, he helps market other brands, and people buy into Crosby being the face of the NHL. If he were such a bad face for it, they wouldn't be doing it. And trust me, if Crosby were to happen to have a picture surface of him with his face in a bong like Phelps his endorsements from every angle would disappear. You guys are making this marketing angle way too personal.

#18 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE (Shoreline @ June 13, 2009 - 06:52PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This argument about the NHL not marketing anyone else besides Crosby has already been defeated before..

It's just obvious as day most Wings fans do not like Crosby therefore do not like seeing him on TV. I can understand how it gets annoying seeing the same face but despite one's claims about how many people hate Crosby, he's a top seller of jerseys, he helps market other brands, and people buy into Crosby being the face of the NHL. If he were such a bad face for it, they wouldn't be doing it. And trust me, if Crosby were to happen to have a picture surface of him with his face in a bong like Phelps his endorsements from every angle would disappear. You guys are making this marketing angle way too personal.

Season is over. What do you expect, Baseball? scared.gif

#19 WingNut24

WingNut24

Draftee

• 8 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (Sid the Kid @ June 13, 2009 - 05:39PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with the rest. Sid is NOT the face of the NHL and your comparison with Peyton Manning is absolutely wrong!!! Problem is that the league went about it backwards and has alienated its fans. Peyton Manning is the face of the NFL because he is mature, has class, and speaks with his actions not his mouth. Noone had the audacity to make an outlandish claim like Peyton is the next Joe Montana prior to his entry into the league. Probably because we've seen too many Andre Wares and know that you establish your legacy on the field. The NHL decided that Sid was the next Wayne Gretzky before he even skated in an NHL rink. I haven't seen him score 50 in 35 or more than 90 in a season so I'm not buying. As for his great "Leadership Abilities" I'm not buying that load either. You didn't see Stevie Y or Nicky waving his stick around TRYING to hurt someone or cross checking them in the back of the helmet. And if either one did, you could be DAMN SURE that they wouldn't get away with it. Wow...what a role model. I won't even address what a LEADER would do with regard to the hand shake.

Truth is that Sid has garnered a reputation for being a whiner and a player that has been protected and undeservedly promoted by the league. Maybe they've forgotten that hockey is the ultimate TEAM sport. Again, pick one face and you alienate every fan that doesn't agree with that face. If you don't believe that you're completely deluded.

Finally, I'd really love to hear where you got your jersey stat. I'm sure that is a load of BS. I'd argue that you'd be hard pressed to find a Pens jersey in every arena in the nation. I would be willing to bet that the same isn't true of wings jerseys. I should know, I've seen them in great numbers in EVERY venue that I've had the benefit of watching a game in.

#20 WingsFanInPensCountry

WingsFanInPensCountry

Prospect

• 34 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:03 PM

He's a diving, whining, cheapshotting *****. Those aren't qualities that attracted me to the NHL, and probably not many others. So expect people to hate Crosby's being the face of the league.