• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

crazy13

Detroit to offer Hossa long term deal

Rate this topic

I've read a lot of back and forth on this, the good the bad and the otherwise. Yes, Hossa had a subpar playoff run. There is no denying this fact. He did not live up to the monniker "Of those much is given much is expected".

A few years ago, seemingly this same "Screw Hossa he blows and can't perform in the playoffs were the same crowd dogging Pavel Datsyuk after a couple sub-par playoff runs. They wanted him run out on a rail as well. I still remember hearing quite loudly and boisteroulsy in the Joe Louis Arena (though NONE will admit to it now) that Yzerman was the problem and he needed to go as he was NEVER going to get the Wings over the top and they should trade him while he had value.

Hossa had a fine regular season, the Wings top goal scorer. One of the reasons the Wings had game 7 at home last Friday. He's pretty young, in his prime and now from what this thread says they want to sign him on an average of 3 million dollars LESS than they had him for this year. He plays hard two ways, brings great speed to the table and allows Babcock to mix and match Hossa, Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Franzen. In case some of the boot Hossa crowd didn't notice, the Mule pretty much went missing the later the playoffs ran. With the Abdelkaders, Leinos, and Helms ready to play up front that really fills in the forward position nicely. Again, more options to mix and match for Babcock. Scotty did pretty well being able to have pieces to mix and match and Babcock does pretty well too.

I think overall, unless you think Hollard and Yzerman and the rest of the front office are buffoons who don't know what they're doing, resigining Hossa makes sense.

You are just going to have to trust Holland and Yzerman

I expect it to go out of style like a Red Wings Championship party. So how many of you guys didn't even think that losing was a possibility?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_dadd...?urn=nhl,170305

The Wings lost by a goal. A post. An inch to the right. A whiffed puck. The smallest possible margin between the winning and losing team in a sporting championship. And they did it even though they were a team utterly devastated by injuries- with their top two players skating injured the entire round, one of which was gone for 4 games. Stop acting like you're some sort of prognosticating genius.

Let me put this into a perspective everyone can understand.

Saying you wouldn't take Hossa at 4 million is like if Megan Fox / Brad Pitt came up to you and said take me out to McDonalds for dinner and then have sexual relations with me after and you saying no, I'll pass. And the Darwin winner iisssssss...

Let me put this into a perspective everyone can understand.

Saying you wouldn't take Hossa at 4 million is like if Megan Fox / Brad Pitt came up to you and said take me out to McDonalds for dinner and then have sexual relations with me after and you saying no, I'll pass. And the Darwin winner iisssssss...

If Megan Fox is as bad in the clutch as Hossa is, then I'll take my chances elsewhere. ;)

Besides, I prefer blondes and with less than 20 tattoos.

Basically a copy/paste job from the other Hossa thread...

I'd like the Wings to re-sign him.

I get that playoffs are about results, production, blah blah blah. Overall, Hossa didn't produce much.

However, a 7-game series or 1 playoff series is a really small sample size to critique a player. Not saying that Hossa shoudln't be critiqued but if we're going to get on his case for 1 season alone, then you can just as easily do the same for pretty much any NHLer that has played in a playoff series without the desired outcome. Yzerman didn't always have productive playoff seasons whenever the Wings bowed out early, Fedorov as well, etc.

Hossa is still a helluva player and I'd like to see him back.

-----

I don't see how Hossa's value cannot decrease to some degree after this playoff year. However, with that though process above, I'd love to see him back.

What seems to be lost amongst all the debating here is that, if Holland is in fact going to produce an offer sheet of 4M/year then he is clearly low-balling Hossa. And not just because of cap space. If the Wings desperately wanted to keep the man then negotiations would start at 5M and would not exceed Zetterberg's cap hit.

If this offer is true, or ballpark, then it's almost like Holland is saying "Marian, we like you. But not that much."

IMO

If Megan Fox is as bad in the clutch as Hossa is, then I'll take my chances elsewhere. ;)

Besides, I prefer blondes and with less than 20 tattoos.

Than Jessica Simpson.

Saying you wouldn't take Hossa at FOUR MILLION is like saying you wouldn't trade freaking Kirk Maltby for Malkin and Crosby.

The amount of stupidity on this site is beyond comprehension.

P.S. You wouldn't say no to Megan Fox. Any heterosexual male wouldn't.

Four Million. I'm gonna pass. Wow. I don't think there is a chance in hell it's gonna happen at 4 million. But Jesus Christ. I'm gonna pass on Marian Hossa for 4 million.

Wow, I hope Leino can put up 55pts next season! That's the kind of rookie season future stars have.

leino, 13 games, 5 g, 4a, for 9 pts....on the 3rd line most of the time. +5 rating, 17 shots

.69 pts/game average.

if he kept that pace for 82 games, his point total would have been 57 pts, 32 g, 25 a.....on the 3rd line. hudler had 57 pts this season.

hudler was so useless he found himself on the 4th line in the playoffs. he got all his points on the pp with z.

in closing, i'm pretty sure i proved hudler can be replaced by leino.

you're welcome. any more questions?

I wonder how many Darren Helm type players we could acquire for 4 million?

Or how many enforcers? :D

Yeah, I know Hossa will likely make more and ask for more, but I don't think we desperately need him or another scoring forward. We need more grit and more balance in our lineup.

What seems to be lost amongst all the debating here is that, if Holland is in fact going to produce an offer sheet of 4M/year then he is clearly low-balling Hossa. And not just because of cap space. If the Wings desperately wanted to keep the man then negotiations would start at 5M and would not exceed Zetterberg's cap hit.

If this offer is true, or ballpark, then it's almost like Holland is saying "Marian, we like you. But not that much."

IMO

I don't see it that way. Hossa was low man on the seniority list. Holland signed two home grown Wings to large extensions out of loyalty and based on their previous performance. This along with the cap limits his ability to make Hossa a larger offer without moving serious salary and filling the gap with league minimum players. I'm in the crowd that would like to get Hossa back but Holland has his hands tied.

Signing him for more than they can afford is like the broke college kid who decides he's going to school in a new Audi, he is going to trade in his current car at a loss in order to get it and within a few years he is going to be buried in the hole with the payments.

Wow, I hope Leino can put up 55pts next season! That's the kind of rookie season future stars have.

He did have a 77 point season with Jokerit in 07-08.

In his first season in the AHL/NHL, he had 46 points; that's when he's getting used to the differences in how the game plays over here.

And to your point about Ericsson, Abby, etc, yeah; you're right, but they weren't consistently making me go, "wow, look at <player> go!" like I did with Helm and Filppula.

I can't make it work either - every player that leaves has to have a replacement and the guys that are probably leaving don't wash much in salary off the board. Even if you trade Howard and/or sign a backup at the league minimum, Leino at .9M, Kopecky at .5M, dump Lebda and keep Meech as the 13th forward or 7th Dman it is still 1.4M over the cap at a $4M cap hit for Hossa. People have been saying it for 6 months - either Kronwall or Flip would have to go.

This thread is a riot. Four pages of babble about Hossa taking $4M per, and yet the article cited is pure speculation, and the reality of the fact is that Hossa would actually have to accept a contract thats easily 2/3 of his worth, even in a penny-pinching future.

Where in that article does it say Detroit are going to offer a 4mil cap hit contract? It only says what they COULD do. They could also offer him $500,000 and a bag of cheese.

:fro:

if we get Hossa for 4mil a year thats grand larceny. he can get much more elsewhere.

he's a good player, you can get a player of that caliber for 4 mil.

i think the pressure playing against the pens got to him. it was unbelievable pressure.

You would have to be certifiably insane to not take Hossa at 4 million.

Yeah man!! Would be a great deal. However it would still mean trading a roster player. Especially if Holland wants to sign Leino for 0.9 million again. Homer is effective when 100%, Cleary and Flipulla have greatly improved. The only deal that makes sense is trading one of the top 4 D-guys, which Ericcson would replace. That would be more then enough cap room to sign a decent back-up, Hudler (maybe), Leino and Hossa.

I've read a lot of back and forth on this, the good the bad and the otherwise. Yes, Hossa had a subpar playoff run. There is no denying this fact. He did not live up to the monniker "Of those much is given much is expected".

A few years ago, seemingly this same "Screw Hossa he blows and can't perform in the playoffs were the same crowd dogging Pavel Datsyuk after a couple sub-par playoff runs. They wanted him run out on a rail as well. I still remember hearing quite loudly and boisteroulsy in the Joe Louis Arena (though NONE will admit to it now) that Yzerman was the problem and he needed to go as he was NEVER going to get the Wings over the top and they should trade him while he had value.

Hossa had a fine regular season, the Wings top goal scorer. One of the reasons the Wings had game 7 at home last Friday. He's pretty young, in his prime and now from what this thread says they want to sign him on an average of 3 million dollars LESS than they had him for this year. He plays hard two ways, brings great speed to the table and allows Babcock to mix and match Hossa, Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Franzen. In case some of the boot Hossa crowd didn't notice, the Mule pretty much went missing the later the playoffs ran. With the Abdelkaders, Leinos, and Helms ready to play up front that really fills in the forward position nicely. Again, more options to mix and match for Babcock. Scotty did pretty well being able to have pieces to mix and match and Babcock does pretty well too.

I think overall, unless you think Hollard and Yzerman and the rest of the front office are buffoons who don't know what they're doing, resigining Hossa makes sense.

You are just going to have to trust Holland and Yzerman

Good post. It's a gamble. Who knows which Hossa shows up next year or the year after. It could turn out he has great regular seasons and comes through big in the POs. Or he could be a PO bust again, then I cringe reading the forums. The length is kind of scary. I can see for franchise guys like Z and Mule, but it all comes down to gambling on Hossa. I too leave it up to Holland and Yzerman....

Good post. It's a gamble. Who knows which Hossa shows up next year or the year after. It could turn out he has great regular seasons and comes through big in the POs. Or he could be a PO bust again, then I cringe reading the forums. The length is kind of scary. I can see for franchise guys like Z and Mule, but it all comes down to gambling on Hossa. I too leave it up to Holland and Yzerman....

Franzen is more proven/less of a gamble than Hossa?

Keep in mind that he hadn't had this second good playoff season when Holland signed him. When Holland signed him, he had had about the equivalent of one good full season and one good playoff run.

Hossa has had about 9 good regular seasons and 3 or so good playoff runs (some years the team didn't make it, some years he was up there in scoring on a team that just didn't play a lot of playoff games so he hasn't put up the numbers)?

Franzen is a MUCH bigger gamble than Hossa IMO. One guy has never had a 60 point season. The other guy has had 9. And they're the same age. I don't think it's remotely accurate to call the OTHER guy a franchise player and the guy with 9 60-point seasons under his belt "a gamble".

Edited by Packer487

This is the past of the offseason that I hate the most. I can live with no hockey for a few months, but once the last game is played in the Wings season, I always begin to worry about what will happen in the next few months regarding deals and contracts. There are advantages and disadvantages to every decision. Having to do with this particular deal- I truly believe that Hossa was snakebitten during these finals. We have seen him play too well in past games to think that who we saw was the real Hossa. And I think that the Wings would get a lot out of re-signing him. I personally don't want to see him leave. BUT I also realize that a deal with him would mean saying good-bye to some familiar faces (which I also don't want to see). I think that while Hudler and Samuelsson (the two players put into the keeping-Hossa equation) may have some low points (we all have seen how much Samuelsson is sometimes criticized around here), they have also played some really good hockey overall. Each possible decision has it's highs and lows. In the end, I think that I will just trust in Holland and his team to make the ultimate decision on what he believes is the best decision for the team, and continue to root for the Wings next season, regardless of who or who is not there. I have my own personal thoughts and wishes for what will happen, but I can't drive myself crazy over a decision that I have no ultimate say in. We'll just have to sit back and see. And then watch some Wing's hockey in the fall. :)

Edited by wingfan4ever

The thing of Hossa is one thing: when he had to be shiny in the final, he did not. He was horrible in the final. Overall in the playoff, not impressive at all. In the regular season, I highly wanted to re-sign him and I googled the rumor whether he will stay here or not. After this playoff, my mind has changed a bit but I am still on side to re-sign Hossa unless his demand is way too big.

However, if the deal goes more than 5 years, I am going to be favor of the deal. Sure, offenses can play their hockey until 35 years old but we already locked up Zetterberg, Franzen, and Datsyuk for a long term. If we make another long term, it will hurt us once in the future.

For example, the Sens locked up their main three forwards: Spezza, Heately, and Alffie. However, what rumor is coming up? Trading Heately. Why does he want to leave? One thing. Honestly, I say the Sens will be the bottom team next year too. Same with Pittsburgh. I am not whining the Pens after the loss against them but the cap system that three or four players eat up all the cap space will be dead in the future. Not far from now.

We saw how well Hossa can play in the regular season. Unfortunately, many of the Wings played with some serious injuries so Hossa did not win the cup. I don't think we have a great chance next year. Maybe 2 years from now, if Hossa stays here, I think we will have a good chance again.

There's absolutely no chance in hell that Hossa signs for $4 million. But if he did...wow :blink:

Yeah I thought it wouldnt happen but if we load up his contract at the beginning like this over ten years you could get a 4.5 million cap hit:

Yr $mil

1 7

2 6

3 6

4 6

5 5

6 5

7 4

8 3

9 2

10 1

If hes only going to play till hes 37, then the last 3 years dont count against the cap, cause he was less then 35 when he signed it. So for those 7 years he averages 5.57 million in pay per year. If he plays till hes 36 then he makes 5.833 with a cap hit of still 4.5. Thats semi realistic but still a bit low.

Edited by Probie