• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Yzermania19

Wings won't bring Conklin back

Rate this topic

From the Detroit Free Press, via Mlive's Snapshots -

General manager Ken Holland has decided not to offer a contract to Conklin, 33, who will be an unrestricted free agent on Wednesday. Howard, 25, is out of minor-league options after spending four seasons with the Grand Rapids Griffins, the Wings' AHL affiliate. Howard is signed through 2011 and is due to make $717,700 next season.

More - Free Press' Sipple confirms Wings won't bring back Ty Conklin

This is too bad. I liked the way he played for us and I think he makes a much better backup than Jimmy Howard. I'm not impressed with Howard's play so far. I'd rather have Conklin, who has shown he can win games.

Conklin will probably command a raise on the open market, so it saves a little money. Besides, it's not fair to Howard to tell him for four years to just be patient, your shot is coming, and then shove him off to the side at make-or-break time with two years left on his contract. Not the way the Wings do business. Howard deserves his shot, and the nine games he's played in the last four years do not count as his shot.

Very old news.

If it's such old news, why was it only confirmed today?

Howard deserves his shot, and the nine games he's played in the last four years do not count as his shot.

Maybe, but he hasn't shown anything that tells me he is ready to be a full-time NHL backup. Honestly, I'd rather take Manny Legace over Howard at this point.

Wouldn't it be interesting if Conks goes back to Pittsburgh as their back up... and kicks our asses next season? :blink: It could happen, don't laugh.

Sorry to see ya go, Ty. You did a great job for us when you were needed. :thumbup:

Conklin will probably command a raise on the open market, so it saves a little money. Besides, it's not fair to Howard to tell him for four years to just be patient, your shot is coming, and then shove him off to the side at make-or-break time with two years left on his contract. Not the way the Wings do business. Howard deserves his shot, and the nine games he's played in the last four years do not count as his shot.

I agree, give the kid a real chance. The Wings have put a lot of time and effort into him, both the Wings and Howard owe it to each other to see what he can do. If it turns out he can't hack it, they'll deal with it then. You never know, he could be a late bloomer....

General manager Ken Holland has decided not to offer a contract to Conklin, 33, who will be an unrestricted free agent on Wednesday. Howard, 25, is out of minor-league options after spending four seasons with the Grand Rapids Griffins, the Wings' AHL affiliate. Howard is signed through 2011 and is due to make $717,700 next season.

This is too bad. I liked the way he played for us and I think he makes a much better backup than Jimmy Howard. I'm not impressed with Howard's play so far. I'd rather have Conklin, who has shown he can win games.

This could be a bad summer. Losing Hossa, Conklin, Chelios, Kopecky, and potentially Sammy and Hudler. We've lost or will lose a LOT of our depth and our goaltending quality has been basically cut in half.

Howard deserves his shot, and the nine games he's played in the last four years do not count as his shot.

Maybe, but he hasn't shown anything that tells me he is ready to be a full-time NHL backup. Honestly, I'd rather take Manny Legace over Howard at this point.

How can you say "he hasn't shown anything" in nine games over four years and claim that's all you need to go on to decide he's not good enough?

How can you say "he hasn't shown anything" in nine games over four years and claim that's all you need to go on to decide he's not good enough?

This is more than enough information for the normal letsgowings' member to determine the career pontential for NHL players, isn't it? :no:

Sad to see Conks go. No more "Conkblocked" references, but Howard deserves a REAL shot at the NHL.

Edit: "Jimmyblocked" doesn't have the same ring, but its along the same lines as "Conkblocked"... maybe it will catch on...

Edited by Statts

Sad to see Conks go. No more "Conkblocked" references, but Howard deserves a REAL shot at the NHL.

Edit: "Jimmyblocked" doesn't have the same ring, but its along the same lines as "Conkblocked"... maybe it will catch on...

Hmm... You got Jimmyed!!! Or... OH WHAT SAVE BY HUNGRY HOWIE!!!!

Hmm... You got Jimmyed!!! Or... OH WHAT SAVE BY HUNGRY HOWIE!!!!

Haha.

J Ho has some potential in the nickname department. As long as he doesn't go "Jimmy Hoffa" on us and disappear. :ph34r:

Edited by Statts

Okay, here it is.

Holland also said the team will not offer backup goaltender Ty Conklin a contract. That means Jimmy Howard will back up Chris Osgood next season.

And I think Mlive was even reporting this days ago.

Sorry, I should not have said VERY old news.

Edited by rage

I guess it's time we went back to the usual goaltending tandem where the starter picks up 55-60 games. We've been super lucky to have two years where we could rotate our goalies. Great to see Howard get a real shot at this though.

:lol:

AND HUNGRY HOWIE EATS UP ANOTHER PUCK!! WHAT A DELIVERY FROM HUNGRY HOWIE!!! :hehe:

Oh man. I can see it now. Every time Jimmy Howard racks up an assist on a goal, a coupon for a free small pepperoni pizza.

I don't remember on whether or not he likes to play the puck like Marty Turco.

Or if he scores a goal... heh, then Hungry Howie's shall go bankrupt but there will be not be one single person in the state of Michigan with an empty stomach for at least a day.

Oh man. I can see it now. Every time Jimmy Howard racks up an assist on a goal, a coupon for a free small pepperoni pizza.

I don't remember on whether or not he likes to play the puck like Marty Turco.

Or if he scores a goal... heh, then Hungry Howie's shall go bankrupt but there will be not be one single person in the state of Michigan with an empty stomach for at least a day.

Did we forget that Illitch owns a little pizza franchise of his own? No way would he let that promotion go down!

He's really gonna have to go some to impress me. I will miss Ty. He's got big skates to step into as far as I'm concerned.

Not even 10 games in 4 seasons in the NHL. Plenty of players in the NHL are going to have 9 bad games over the course of 4 seasons, whether they are superstars or benchwarmers, great players or bad. It is not enough of a sample size to judge a player's performance and say the person is terrible or not if they are going to be playing in the NHL for good.

I enjoyed Conklin's time here and wish he was back, and nobody here is saying that Jimmy Howard is the second coming of Ken Dryden but throwing him out on the curb before he's even played is very, very pre-mature.