• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
titanium2

Jeremy Williams & Kris Newberry sign with Wings / GR?

Rate this topic

If there's any hope for more upside to his game, then he's going to the right place. Wings provide the best player development in the league.

Not unless he decides there is. Ever since junior, he's not made much of an attempt to add other dimensions to his game.

He demanded a trade from the Leafs late last season, but there was no takers. Plus, he cleared waivers twice.

Not unless he decides there is. Ever since junior, he's not made much of an attempt to add other dimensions to his game.

He demanded a trade from the Leafs late last season, but there was no takers. Plus, he cleared waivers twice.

If I didn't know any better, I might think you are talking about Dan Cleary.

If I didn't know any better, I might think you are talking about Dan Cleary.

Good point.

Player development in Toronto sucks. Look at Wellwood, he was lazy and unmotivated in Toronto and they shipped him out. Im not saying Vancouver did a better job with him, but if any organization can turn an unmotivated player around, it is the Red Wings. This is a good signing.

I think the posts have captured some of the essence of these two.

Newbury can score some at the AHL level. He's tough - not a great fighter but will fight. As Holland said, he's a good AHLer who could spot fill the 4th line for short spells - though the Griffins may well have others better to call up.

Williams is a more interesting case. If he got top six ice time in the NHL, I think he'd handily pop 25 goals. He has a heck of a shot - probably the best shot in the Leafs organization. And he has a nose for positioning himself to get it away or will fire it on an off foot to surprise a goalie. There is zero doubt in my mind that he has NHL goal scoring talent. If the Wings suffer an injury to a top 6 finisher, they have a guy they can call up and the offence won't skip a beat. He's not a 3/4 liner - either he's on a scoring line or he's in the minors.

Burke wanted to make the Leafs tougher. Williams isn't a big, tough player and therefore, wasn't going to fit the mould for Burke's team.

When he showed up for the AHL, they knocked his skating speed. He worked on it and I don't think it's an issue. His skating seems fine to me.

The more recent knock that concerned the Leafs brass was his two way play and winning puck battles - in coach Wilson's system. With the Wings style of puck control, that may not be as big of an issue. I'm interested to see what develops. When he was up last season, there were not a lot of goals scored against when he was on the ice. I think he's improved but because the team already had too many soft players, he got sent down.

Williams may end up toiling in the AHL for his career so I make no promises. But I still think he has some sort of a slimmer chance to crack the NHL because of his scoring ability. In that way, at 25, he's still a bit of a prospect who just might surprise a few folks. Regardless, he can be a fun player to watch.

Looks like a couple of big signings. I'm not sure that they will be in the NHL anytime soon but maybe some day. Than again they may be NHLers in a couple of years. I agree with whoever said that these two were probably signed to fill the gaps of Abs and Helm.

Williams, especially, is interesting -- he was a pretty big prospect for Toronto and has an elite, wicked shot. Scored 3 goals in his first 3 games last year in the NHL, then had 5 goals in 6 games -- then only two assists in the next 5 games.

He's like Kyle Welwood, with probably less work ethic, if you can believe it. Unbelievably high shooting percentage of 22% -- pair him up with a legit playmaker and he will score goals at any level, but as of right now that is all he will do and would probably end up being an overall liability.

It will be interesting to see if they can do anything with him in Grand Rapids.

Newbury is always a fan favorite.

Edited by egroen

If you told me about a prospect that oozes with talent offensively but isnt committed to playing two way hockey and doesnt back check. Detroit would be the first organization that I would want him to go to with the hopes of turning it around.

Good Signings.

I like this signing by Holland. It's a good solid signing by the Wings that should provide some depth to the organization that they lost. Good work Kenny.

"Jeremy Williams might just be the anti-Samuelsson. He’s been an interesting player for me to follow the past couple seasons because he was a scorer coming out of the WHL, one of the bigger Leaf prospects. He wasn’t good enough to stick in the lineup on a day-to-day basis, but what was weird is that he always scored goals. He played one game in 2005-06 and scored. He played one game in 2006-07 and scored. He scored in his first game in 2007-08 too, but then only once more in 17 games. This year he scored 3 goals in his first 3 games, and 5 in his first 6, but not again through his next five.

He has a career shooting percentage of 22%. I like this signing a lot as a reclamation, low-risk, high-reward signing. He’s only 25."

http://babcocksdeathstare.wordpress.com/20...s-kris-newbury/

This little scouting report/write up makes me think, why not just put the guy on a line with Zetterberg and Datsyuk to start the regular season just to see what happens. It's gotta be worth a shot, right? We just lost a lot of scoring and Williams can score in bunches. He doesnt play defense, so why not put him with the best two-way players in the NHL who are also great playmakers? Maybe Dats and Z's two-way hockey would rub off on Williams. Also, with a cannon of a shot, and a righty shot at that, maybe this guy can stick as our #2 pp point man replacing Sammy.

Nothing but upside with this signing. I could definitely see us striking lighting in a bottle. Cleary, Samuelsson, Stuart are just a few that dissapointed in other organization but worked out here. It's not like we havent done it before.

Edited by wingsownnhl43

Looks like Newbury will be our Downey replacement; Downey 2.0?

Different players, Newbury can give you 10-12 minutes and contribute, but doesnt fight as much as Downs. He could play on the 4th line this season, thats for sure.

Kinda crazy, talked with Jeff Carter of the Flyers two weeks ago while visiting London, Ontario on Holiday.

On the topic, I'm a student at UWO in London and I met and talked to Sam Gagner for a bit at Jack's (my favourite little night spot) on All-Star weekend this year. He was a pretty cool guy, but so damn tiny for a professional hockey player. I'm only like 5'11, 170 lbs and he was significantly smaller than me.

On the topic, I'm a student at UWO in London and I met and talked to Sam Gagner for a bit at Jack's (my favourite little night spot) on All-Star weekend this year. He was a pretty cool guy, but so damn tiny for a professional hockey player. I'm only like 5'11, 170 lbs and he was significantly smaller than me.

Are you kidding?

Jacks is your fav?

Class up man. Barking Frog it more often... you will hate Jacks, grow up, and meet better people (girls).

Cool that you met Sam Gagne though.

Edited by BlakKy

Guest E_S_A_D

That is the most beautiful campus I have ever seen. I'm not a London native, but we visit there yearly... I've become quite accustomed to the drinks at the Honest Lawyer!~