• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
russianswede919293

Holmstrom

Rate this topic

Homer is no longer 1st line material. In fact, he's not even second line material in my book. I've loved Homer for years, and I still do, but at this point Homer should be a 3rd/4th liner. Either that or it may be time for him to hang em' up. He looked pretty good at the start of the season, but ever since he came off the DL he's looked Maltby-bad.

I'm not trying to disparage Homer by any stretch because I think he has a very secure and useful role on the team.

I totally agree, the Wings needs players like him to open the ice up and distract the goaltenders so our stars can light up the net. It doesn't always translate into points for Homer, but he contributes even if it doesn't always go down on paper. Holmstrom's my favorite guy because of all the abuse he takes, he always makes me laugh. Before that Dino Ciccarelli was one of my favorites because he was a hellraiser too.

You saw in the playoffs, at times he was playing with Helm or 3rd line more often because he's obviously not the best/fastest skater out there and you saw a line combo of Datsyuk-Hossa-Cleary a lot later in the playoffs. Part of that is b/c Homer is Homer as expalined last sentence, part of if probably due to lack of production in the playoffs.

I think he still has a role on this team and good chemistry with Datsyuk and Zetterberg if they get put back together, but I won't be shocked if he plays lower lines anymore.

On the PP, we all know how that goes and he's still one of the best in front of the net.

Holland just said (see the other thread about lines) that Homer isn't expected to be in the Top 6.

I think that's a smart move. We all know Homer can still tip the scales of the game, but he always gets brutally hurt halfway through the season and it affects him in the playoffs. Resting him throughout the season and then using him however Babcock feels he is capable of playing will do wonders for us in the playoffs. A healthy Homer come playoff time is a good thing.

Plus, it gives Cleary more time to mesh with Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

I totally agree, the Wings needs players like him to open the ice up and distract the goaltenders so our stars can light up the net. It doesn't always translate into points for Homer, but he contributes even if it doesn't always go down on paper. Holmstrom's my favorite guy because of all the abuse he takes, he always makes me laugh. Before that Dino Ciccarelli was one of my favorites because he was a hellraiser too.

This is a very good point. Holmstrom's contributions dont always come in the form of points. That being said last year he had 14g 23a in 53g. The year before that he had 20g 20 a in 59g. I dont think it's impossible to see him get in that same 15-20 range in 50 some games playing powerplay time and when he's in the lineup playign with Pav and Zetterberg. I really think that he will get a lot of rest, especially down the stretch, and that's when you'll really see Cleary with Pav and Zetterberg.

At the end of the day everyone here saying Holmstrom's ES time is going to be cut down are probably right. He'll get 1st PP time and he'll pick up some ES shifts but I dont think it will be on the regular.

Also, Love the Ciccarelli reference. It's funny, I got into such a superstitious phase when watching the Red Wings. Somehow I managed to convince myself that I had to watch Wings games with the volume at level 22 otherwise they would lose. To this day I still refuse to watch a Wings game at home unless the volume is at 22. I can thank Dino for that.

Homer was headed toward another 25+ goal season before he got hurt last year (28.7 to be precise). No doubt if he's fairly healthy he can still be an important contributor to a scoring line. (And that's before factoring the intangibles mentioned earlier.)

Also, now that we have a 13th forward, he (nor Maltby and Draper) need to be every day players. We have the freedom to rest him on back to backs or long road trips. He already played fewer minutes per game than the other top 6 players (8th in TOI/G among forwards).

The 4th line isn't a garbage pile, nor is the first line necessarily your three best forwards. Lines are about combinations that work. The Wings will try to get all 4 lines to be effective. Homer could work with Flip/Mule, but not as well as with Pav and Hank. Putting him on the 3rd or 4th line would do more damage to that line than the benefit you'd get from Cleary/whoever moving to the top line.

I just wanted to bold those couple of lines because I think they are very important. The Wings have the opportunity to rest some of the vets and make sure everyone is fresh going into the playoffs. Also, being relegated to the "4th" line does not make him a borderline AHL player. It means that's the best place for him in the context of a team trying to make 4 lines be as effective as possible.

Rest up Homer... we NEED you in the playoffs!

He doesnt score anymore, can't hit, can't skate, can't take faceoffs, can't fight, can't play defensive hockey and is always injured.

Sure, that sounds like a first line player to me.

Yeah, Holmstrom sucks.

Here's my opinion on Homer.

Against a team with big defensemen on the PK he is on the edge of the crease, no exceptions. He's the best at what he does.

If we have our goalie pulled, he is on the edge of the crease while Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Rafalski, and another forward pass the puck looking for the best shot.

Anything else he does is a bonus.

Here's my opinion on Homer.

Against a team with big defensemen on the PK he is on the edge of the crease, no exceptions. He's the best at what he does.

If we have our goalie pulled, he is on the edge of the crease while Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Rafalski, and another forward pass the puck looking for the best shot.

Anything else he does is a bonus.

:thumbup:

last night said it all - leads the team in goals. the guy is healthy and belongs on the 1st line with Days and Z.

LOL, that's exactly why I resurrected this thread :-)

Now, I could have never predicted that Homer would be leading the team in goals after 10 games, but I know he belongs with the talent!

Holmstrom is a perfect example of what this organization is about, Hardwork and Dedication. Everytime he has fallen, he has gotten right back up and performed!

There is a reason why the Wings Organization treats players they way they do! Holmstrom fits into the category that Yzerman, Lidstrom, McCarty, Maltby, Osgood, and Draper fit into! That category would be the nucleus of the franchise, Dats and Z probably belong there too.

That is the reason why these guys have never been let go because they show all of the new players how the Wings organization is run, some of these guys may not put up 50 points this year, but its what they do off the ice for the TEAM, stuff that will never be brought up here on LGW.

I am so happy that Homer is putting up the numbers he has this year, not because of JakeRyan, but for the people who are not even Wings fans that have said Homer is done! I get so tried of hearing on the radio or TV about how Homer is about finished!!

I personally thought lastnights game was his best of the year so far!!

I was watching that game last night thinking, "He's back."

Truth is he never left, we would do well to remember players get injured especially with what homer does.

Last night he turned probably the best goalie in the NHL into a tantrum inducing three year old.

I'm glad for Holmstrom. He's one of my favorite players. It's pretty safe to say IMO that he obviously isn't the Holmstrom of old (or young) and retirement from the game will come sooner than later, but I'm thrilled he's been able to produce so far at a rate where he was netting roughly 30 goals a year before injuries took a toll on him these past two seasons.

I never thought he was down and out completely, but I think plenty were fair to question what his overall rate of production after injury would be compared to when he was putting up more points.

As for the member with the obsessive hatred of the guy, nothing like that will probably ever change so it's better to just let him yell and shout and ignore him. Igonre lists are a beautfiul thing. I will never understand how some people just have obsessive disliking of people to where they have to mention them in pretty much every. single. topic. and every. single. post. when we got their message the first 500 times.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

I eat my crow here...

I thought he was too beaten down to remain productive on the top line, Homer I am glad you have proven me wrong...

He always has been one of my favorites, just wasn't sure how much he had left in the tank. I'm glad the anawer is ENOUGH

:yahoo: