• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Canadian_Yzerman_Fan

Lidstrom's Future

Rate this topic

Guest micah
I can't re-state the same thing over-and-over again.

I know, you said it once, and I agree with you.

I'm not saying they wouldn't have won as much had Z, Dats, etc been captain instead of Lidstrom.....

I know, you said it once, and I agree with you.

Saying they may have won as much doesn't make Lidstrom less great of a Captain. This is what you're failing to see.

Sidenote: How convenient of you to edit out the remainder of my sentence. It should read, "I'm not saying they wouldn't have won as much had Z, Dats, etc been captain instead of Lidstrom, but that doesn't diminish the fact that he's been a great captain." Not to mention the remainder of that post.

You are absolutely right, hence my questioning what ills would have befallen the team had someone else been given the C that Lids wears.

My problem with this argument is not necessarily your side, but the premise of the whole argument in general. I view the appointment of the C to be a more organic thing. You're asking what we think would happen if someone else were captain, while I honestly think that could never be the case. Lidstrom is the Captain because of what he has done and who he as been for this team. Because of this, regardless of who has a C arbitrarily sewn to their jersey, you know which of the warriors the rest of the team will look up to when the game is on the line. Nick, alone, is the logical Captain of this team and will remain as such until he retires.

I don't know if I am making any sense or just blabbering nonsensically.

Although, I do feel the way that Babs seems to swoon about Nik in the press (and has pretty much ever since he got here) seems to indicate to me that Nik is doing an alright job as a leader inside the lockerroom, in addition to where we all know he is one of the best leaders in the game; on the ice.

There's a difference between wanting to win by taking a discount and giving up 2-3 million a year. As a fan it's easy to say he's going to give up a lot of money for the sake of winning but it's simply unreasonable to expect him to pass up that much. Value is an important term here. Lidstrom is the most valuable piece of this organization, and you don't think he believes he should be payed as such?

Last year for the first time in his career Lidstrom looked human, and it wasn't a one-game occurrence. While I would still prefer Lids over any other player in the league, to say that his value isn't diminishing at this point in his career would be foolish. He's becoming more susceptible to injury, making mistakes on rushed plays, etc, like all aging veterans. He put up 59 points last year, continuing a general downward trend since 2005. This needs to be taken into consideration when negotiating a salary. Additionally, players like Datsyuk and Zetterberg and Franzen and even Leino have all took discounts for the good of the team, emulating Detroit's dedication to winning that was started by Yzerman. If Lids were to take $7M+ again next year it could come off as selfish, despite whether he deserves it or not, simply because the media almost expects our stars to take discounts at this point. Finally, for a person who has made close to $75M over the course of his career, whats the difference between $80M-$81M and $82M?

Pardon me if this has been posted already but does anyone know what the deal is with Listrom's elbow? Last I heard was that he was suppose to have surgery on it at the end of the season.... but everyone has been suspiciously silent on this issue. Obviously the health issues will be a major factor going forward.

Pardon me if this has been posted already but does anyone know what the deal is with Listrom's elbow? Last I heard was that he was suppose to have surgery on it at the end of the season.... but everyone has been suspiciously silent on this issue. Obviously the health issues will be a major factor going forward.

I heard that too. Maybe he has had surgery this summer and the organization is just keeping it quiet. who knows?

Yeah, I was wondering about that a while ago too. I started a thread on it, and the general consensus seemed to be that he wasn't getting anything done about it surgically although nobody knew.

It has been strange not hearing anything, although I can't think of any reason that the Wings would keep that quiet. It's not as though you can target someone's elbow from surgery for tendinitis.

Last year for the first time in his career Lidstrom looked human, and it wasn't a one-game occurrence. While I would still prefer Lids over any other player in the league, to say that his value isn't diminishing at this point in his career would be foolish. He's becoming more susceptible to injury, making mistakes on rushed plays, etc, like all aging veterans. He put up 59 points last year, continuing a general downward trend since 2005. This needs to be taken into consideration when negotiating a salary. Additionally, players like Datsyuk and Zetterberg and Franzen and even Leino have all took discounts for the good of the team, emulating Detroit's dedication to winning that was started by Yzerman. If Lids were to take $7M+ again next year it could come off as selfish, despite whether he deserves it or not, simply because the media almost expects our stars to take discounts at this point. Finally, for a person who has made close to $75M over the course of his career, whats the difference between $80M-$81M and $82M?

For all this talk of "looking Human" Lidstrom still finished with possibly the best stats of any defenseman in the nhl along with being nominated for the Norris yet again. There is absolutely nothing to indicate a significant enough drop off in play to warrant 4-5 mill contract even with a discount. I never said he would take $7m+ but I would be surprised if he takes less than Datsyuk and it seems beyond improbable that he takes less than Zetterberg. Again Value. Lidstrom is the most valuable part of this team even in the end of his career something Yzerman was not.

For all this talk of "looking Human" Lidstrom still finished with possibly the best stats of any defenseman in the nhl along with being nominated for the Norris yet again. There is absolutely nothing to indicate a significant enough drop off in play to warrant 4-5 mill contract even with a discount. I never said he would take $7m+ but I would be surprised if he takes less than Datsyuk and it seems beyond improbable that he takes less than Zetterberg. Again Value. Lidstrom is the most valuable part of this team even in the end of his career something Yzerman was not.

I don't see him taking anything less than 5M. I was arguing more for between 5M to 7M range, most likely between what Dats and Z make.

I don't see him taking anything less than 5M. I was arguing more for between 5M to 7M range, most likely between what Dats and Z make.

Ah, then my op isn't directed towards you. :beerbuddy: cheers.

That definitely seems reasonable.

Edited by thedatsyukian