• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Canadian_Yzerman_Fan

Lidstrom's Future

Rate this topic

Nobody has the balls to say anything bad about the greatest defenseman of the modern era

Micah is about the only one to consistently bash him -- calling Lidstrom a "*****" and a "horrible Captain" and would take Chris Pronger any day over Lidstrom.

I laugh every time I think about that. :lol:

Haha seriously. Go back and read the first sentence of every post on the first page. Or even the first five words. You'll laugh.

I'll bite. Do you honestly believe my 1-year/$5 million is that far of a stretch. The last thing Lids is struggling with is money, and given the state of the league and the likely cap situation next year, do you truly believe a guy of seemingly his character wouldn't sign for $5 million?

Is that low for that calibre of player: Absolutey. However the intangibles make that number more realistic. The fact is Lids has nothing more to play for other than the love of the game. He's got money in the bank, far more accolades than most people could ever dream of and will be retiring sooner rather than later. What possible incentive would Nick have for demanding another $7.45 million contract when that extra $2.45 could go a long way next off-season when the cap will drop by atleast $3.5 million (likely $6 million) and almost all he's looking for (barring a joke of a contract such as $3 million) is to be on another Cup winner?

As I said, the ball is 100% in Lids' court regarding his dollar amount, but from what we've seen of Nick's contracts since the start of the cap era why would him signing for $5 million be such a stretch at the age of *40?* Bottom line, $5 million isn't that much of a stretch and it could very well happen.

I'll bite. Do you honestly believe my 1-year/$5 million is that far of a stretch. The last thing Lids is struggling with is money, and given the state of the league and the likely cap situation next year, do you truly believe a guy of seemingly his character wouldn't sign for $5 million?

Is that low for that calibre of player: Absolutey. However the intangibles make that number more realistic. The fact is Lids has nothing more to play for other than the love of the game. He's got money in the bank, far more accolades than most people could ever dream of and will be retiring sooner rather than later. What possible incentive would Nick have for demanding another $7.45 million contract when that extra $2.45 could go a long way next off-season when the cap will drop by atleast $3.5 million (likely $6 million) and almost all he's looking for (barring a joke of a contract such as $3 million) is to be on another Cup winner?

As I said, the ball is 100% in Lids' court regarding his dollar amount, but from what we've seen of Nick's contracts since the start of the cap era why would him signing for $5 million be such a stretch at the age of 40?

Lidstrom is actually one of the top 10 most compensated NHL players ever.

Last time he negotiated his own contract (no agent), which bodes well for the Wings.

I'm expecting $5-6m, but would hardly be surprised with significantly less... given that I do believe Lidstrom would gladly take less money at this point in his career, for stronger teams.

Guest micah
Micah is about the only one to consistently bash him -- calling Lidstrom a "*****" and a "horrible Captain" and would take Chris Pronger any day over Lidstrom.

I laugh every time I think about that. :lol:

When did I call him a "'horrible captain"? And he is a *****, no doubt about it. That doesn't make him any less great as a Defenseman.

Chris Pronger is also a great Dman, but not as great as Lids.

I find it funny that my stalkers are only interested in the 5% of my thoughts on Lidstrom that they disagree with, and never comment when I say things like "Lidstrom has had a better carreer than any defenseman I've seen play."

When did I call him a "'horrible captain"? And he is a *****, no doubt about it. That doesn't make him any less great as a Defenseman.

Chris Pronger is also a great Dman, but not as great as Lids.

I find it funny that my stalkers are only interested in the 5% of my thoughts on Lidstrom that they disagree with, and never comment when I say things like "Lidstrom has had a better carreer than any defenseman I've seen play."

It helps put the rest of your opinions in context...

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry1591761

Lidstrom is a big enough joke of a Captain, thanks. I don't want Pavel to get the C. Give it to someone with a bit of heart, a bit of passion. Also, a set of balls wouldn't hurt. Just sayin'.

Steve Yzerman might have been on the quiet side, but at least the guy had heart. I don't remember him ever thinking he was too fragile and precious to play in an allstar game even though he was healthy enough for regular season games.

Don't worry - I am not stalking you. It's just an asinine comment like that is memorable.

So you were lying when you said I called him a "horrible captain"? I thought so. I say enough ridiculus things, you don't have to make s*** up.

Lidstrom is a big enough joke of a Captain

I know your argument was with egroen, but explain how these two statements mean something different.

Guest micah
I know your argument was with egroen, but explain how these two statements mean something different.

I called him a "joke of a captain". Egroen lied and said I called him a "horrible captain". Quotation marks mean something. I would not have an argument with Egroen if he hadn't lied.

I probably went too far in saying Lids was "a joke" of a Captain, I don't exactly believe that. I also don't believe he's a good captain. I don't think his captaincy helps or hurts the team. I think Stevie's helped the team. Messier's did. I suspect that Lidstrom's impact on the team would be exactly the same if he were wearing the C, an A, or nothing.

As I said, the ball is 100% in Lids' court regarding his dollar amount, but from what we've seen of Nick's contracts since the start of the cap era why would him signing for $5 million be such a stretch at the age of *40?* Bottom line, $5 million isn't that much of a stretch and it could very well happen.

You misunderstood my post completely. I was talking about how funny it was that everyone was agreeing with everyone else. Not that Lids taking this or that amount is ridiculous or he's a bad captain or whatever. That's why I said to read the first sentence of every post from the first page. The second half of the page is:

I agree 100%

I agree with

agreed

agreed

I have to agree

agreed

While I agree

agreed

Go see for yourself

I called him a "joke of a captain". Egroen lied and said I called him a "horrible captain". Quotation marks mean something. I would not have an argument with Egroen if he hadn't lied.

I probably went too far in saying Lids was "a joke" of a Captain, I don't exactly believe that. I also don't believe he's a good captain. I don't think his captaincy helps or hurts the team. I think Stevie's helped the team. Messier's did. I suspect that Lidstrom's impact on the team would be exactly the same if he were wearing the C, an A, or nothing.

Calling him a "joke of a captain" is the same as calling him a "horrible captain". Unless you went on to explain what *you* perceive the difference to be, you can't blame people for taking you that way.

Lidstrom is the captain because he continues to lead this team by example year after year, while showing the sacrifice of rarely ever missing action all the while taking massive paycuts based on what he's truly worth. Oh, he also captained them to a Stanley Cup. How does that not make him a great captain?

You misunderstood my post completely. I was talking about how funny it was that everyone was agreeing with everyone else. Not that Lids taking this or that amount is ridiculous or he's a bad captain or whatever. That's why I said to read the first sentence of every post from the first page. The second half of the page is:

I agree 100%

I agree with

agreed

agreed

I have to agree

agreed

While I agree

agreed

Go see for yourself

Aah...my bad.

Cheers

Guest micah
Calling him a "joke of a captain" is the same as calling him a "horrible captain". Unless you went on to explain what *you* perceive the difference to be, you can't blame people for taking you that way.

Do you not understand what quotation marks mean either? He said I said something that I did not say. Precision matters. Just because you happen to agree with egroen, doesn't make him any less wrong in this instance. If he wasn't certain what I said, he shouldn't have used quotes.

Lidstrom is the captain because he continues to lead this team by example year after year, while showing the sacrifice of rarely ever missing action all the while taking massive paycuts based on what he's truly worth. Oh, he also captained them to a Stanley Cup. How does that not make him a great captain?

Are all players who wear the C and take paycuts and win the Stanley Cup necesarily great Captains or is it possible that they are merely great players on great teams? I think that your reasoning is a bit specious. I suspect that there are instances where a player might take a paycut for the good of the team, might be a great player, and might get the C, and might win a Cup or 10. That alone is not sufficient cause to say that said player is a great captain. the may very well be a mediocre or even bad captain, and have a team that wins not because of but in spite of them.

Guest micah

Oh, and because I was baited into this thread (which I had zero involvement in), I never mentioned:

He'll sign (2) 1 year deals, 5.0-6.5 mil per. If he plays one more, it will be at a far lower cost, 2.5ish.

LOL... were you hoping to sue me for libel?