• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
CenterIce

Minnesota Wild unveil new third jersey

Rate this topic

Sorry to burst your bubble but the heritage/WC uniforms were for all intents and purposes 3rd jerseys - and the heritage one was even a wordmark jersey! (Shock! Horror! Fainting ladies!).

Even NJ is bringing back their red and green uniforms out for a game this season, meaning every team in the league has now adopted a 3rd jersey.

I wouldn't consider throwbacks (that look great) honoring the long history of the teams they represent a "third jersey" in the sense.

Especially considering Detroit is the only team that will NOT adopt their throwback as a consistent third. Not even close.

I wouldn't consider throwbacks (that look great) honoring the long history of the teams they represent a "third jersey" in the sense.

Especially considering Detroit is the only team that will NOT adopt their throwback as a consistent third. Not even close.

Third jerseys are all about merchandising. If the team has worn them and you can buy them, it's a third.

Besides, the Wings have never worn a jersey with the WC's gothic-D, so it's not even really a throwback.

Edited by Cern

Very good. Simple. I like it.

Since it's your birthday, that's probably the liquor distorting your vision. The jerseys just plain suck. Or they're just plain, period.

BTW, what are you doing making posts this late in the evening on your B-Day? You live in New Orleans for crying out loud. Don't tell me there isn't enough to do in that town. :hehe:

Third jerseys are all about merchandising. If the team has worn them and you can buy them, it's a third.

Besides, the Wings have never worn a jersey with the WC's gothic-D, so it's not even really a throwback.

You're kidding, right? OK, yes, technically the "Red Wings" never wore it, but if you're going to say "it was the Detroit Cougars and not the Wings" then you're just being absurdly nitpicky.

It's not a third jersey. It's a throwback. If they plan on wearing it this year, then maybe I could see calling it a third. It's not a regular thing. You can buy practice jerseys, are they a third?

As for the actual topic: meh. I haven't really dug this wordmark trend, it makes hockey jerseys look like baseball or basketball jerseys. At least it's green. The Wild were one of the very few green-wearing teams in the league, and the other two were the Stars which wore half-green, half-black, and the Sharks, which are not really green. Then they switched and became just one of many in a crowd of red. It's dumb. You got 30 teams and all but one are blue, black, or red. Real imaginative.

You're kidding, right? OK, yes, technically the "Red Wings" never wore it, but if you're going to say "it was the Detroit Cougars and not the Wings" then you're just being absurdly nitpicky.

http://www.hockeylegend.com/_borders/1926cougarsguide5.JPG

except the Cougars didn't either. Whatever the case I doubt the Cougars had the Red Wings logo on them.

It's not a third jersey. It's a throwback. If they plan on wearing it this year, then maybe I could see calling it a third. It's not a regular thing. You can buy practice jerseys, are they a third?

Practice jerseys aren't worn during games, throwbacks are. Wearing them for limited periods is irrelevant - that's why they're third jerseys and not the standard home jerseys.

It's still boring and lame. How can a team with no real tradition have an "old style" jersey. It looks like something off the rack at Steve and Barry's.

Let's face it, their jerseys are gonna suck. Expect no less.

Edited by AtomicPunk

Considering it represents the long dated history (and there are jerseys very similar to that one), yes I consider it a throwback.

It is not used in the regular season (except twice) so it is NOT what you would call a third jersey. Detroit didn't do it simply for jersey sales. They did it because their team was invited to the Winter Classic game of 2009.

Detroit didn't do it simply for jersey sales. They did it because their team was invited to the Winter Classic game of 2009.

If they were invited that implies they could refuse, which would suggest that they did indeed recognize the purely financial benefits a one-off jersey could provide.

Face it, the one and only reason any kind of additional jersey exists is because they're an easy source of extra revenue - it's completely irrelevant whether a jersey has been worn X number of times, all of them fall into the exact same purpose - to get you to buy three jerseys instead of two (and with everyone sporting a huge hard-on for everything retro or vintage nowadays, it's a strategy that's worked brilliantly). To exclude Detroit's one-offs through some arbitrary means of separation is to plug your ears and sing la-la-la about the reality of why third jerseys are used. Nobody in the league's head office genuinely gives a s*** about heritage or team identity beyond what it generates in the paybooks - the NHL is not a museum, it's first and foremost a buisness. If anything, restricting the jerseys to limited runs the way Detroits' have is exploiting their potential even further than a regular third would by creating an additional sense of rarity and collectability in the product. This high-and-mighty attitude people take about the Wings being some kind of immovable rock of enlightenment because they've 'rejected' third jerseys and this argument that the heritage/WC jerseys 'don't count' because they happen to be based on old designs and the team has intentionally limited their exposure is deeply misguided, they're just as guilty of taking advantage of an easy means of further selling of their brand as every other team in the league. That's not berating the franchise, it's just simple economic truth.

Edited by Cern

If they were invited that implies they could refuse, which would suggest that they did indeed recognize the purely financial benefits a one-off jersey could provide.

You are kidding, right?

Edited by Doc Holiday

AnaheimMightyDucksThird1995-1996.jpg

NOTHING can beat the ducks old third jerseys... How they ever let this franchise touch the cup is beyond me...

http://www.onfrozenblog.com/wp-content/upl...07/08/blues.jpg

That ^ might make you reconsider.

As far as Minnesota's jersey goes, I really like the colors but I just don't understand the fascination with writing your team's name on your jersey. One thing I always loved about the sport of hockey was that there was always a real logo on the jersey, a representation of the team and not just a name or a number like in other sports.

Edited by going_top_shelf

Guest micah
As far as Minnesota's jersey goes, I really like the colors but I just don't understand the fascination with writing your team's name on your jersey. One thing I always loved about the sport of hockey was that there was always a real logo on the jersey, a representation of the team and not just a name or a number like in other sports.

NYR1932_33.jpg

These jerseys are awesome!

Trust me, people here in Minnesota are loving them already. The jerseys go light on the red and heavy on the green, which in my opinion is a very good thing. It also gives ode to the North Stars and has the look of the Gophers alternate jersey from their 2002 NCAA championship. It brings everything good together that is Minnesota hockey.

Great job on this one! :thumbup:

Is it just me or does this jersey look exactly like MSU's hockey jerseys?

it's not just you.

I like the green, it's unique, but the actual jersey looks too much like a college hockey jersey.