• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I Red Wings I

GDT: 10/8 - Blackhawks, 2 @ Red Wings, 3

Rate this topic

I'm not saying I'm complaining about it-- all I've bitched about was the bulls*** moving of the finals to a week earlier and thus denying the most banged up team in the playoffs a chance to heal, but people do have a point. If a minor player on the team did what Malkin did you know he would have been suspended. Malkin got the star player exception there since he clearly did exactly what the NHL said they would harshly penalize players for doing-- start a fight with less than 5 minutes left in a losing game simply to make a statement (especially since he jumped one of the Wings' star players). All I'm saying is we both know a 4th liner would've been suspended for that.

Yes, a fourth liner should be suspended because that is who the ruling is for. Fourth liners and "goons" who try to take liberties with the other team's better players.

Neither Walker or Malkin were in that category. Walker reacted to Ward coming at him and Malkin was trying to defend his teammates after Zetterberg was involved in a scrum with Talbot if I'm not mistaken.

Neither were there simply to send a message. The fights just happened.

- Did anyone else love seeing Kopecky get run over by Stu? f*** yes.

For a second there, I was trying to figure out why a player checking somebody on his own team warranted a "f*** yes", but then I realized "Oh wait...Kopecky is a Hawk..."

Well, that was a fun game. The teams seemed to spar pretty evenly for most of the game, but there was a 5, 10 minute window in the second that did the Hawks in.

Detroit is still the better team, but the Hawks have come a long way, no?

So Osgood had a very good game, but no other Wing really stuck out to me. I did notice Williams turn the puck over a couple of times, though.

You know who's been really on fire lately? Nik Hjalmarsson. Oh man, he has been absolutely great lately. I thought he was the Hawks' best D-man tonight. If he survives Blackhawks "CAP ARMAGEDDON!!!!!!1111!!!!!"™ than I expect Wings fans to be cursing his name for years.

See you in December.

Edited by BlackhawksFan

It was after game two. A 3-1 game.

Heh... brain fart - but that was not a "spur of the moment" fight by any means -- Malkin went after Zetterberg with definite intent.

Stupid rule, but get rid of the rule - don't weasel your way out of it when it comes back to bite you in the ass ()having to suspend a star player in the Stanley Cup Finals).

Yes, a fourth liner should be suspended because that is who the ruling is for. Fourth liners and "goons" who try to take liberties with the other team's better players.

Neither Walker or Malkin were in that category. Walker reacted to Ward coming at him and Malkin was trying to defend his teammates after Zetterberg was involved in a scrum with Talbot if I'm not mistaken.

Lol - yeah, Zetterberg was gunning for Talbot there. How many fights has Zetterberg been in again?

Again, please point to this "fine print" you seem to have found that pardons non-goons.

Hawks have come a long way, no?

I did notice Williams turn the puck over a couple of times, though.

Hawks are a good team, no questioning that. As for Willy, well... That is typical, but at least he was active and was able to get the puck into the Hawk's zone during the PP when other players didn't.

Spectacular game. Protecting that one goal lead is awesome, I'm almost glad they scored their second..

If Osgood plays like he did tonight all season he should win the Vezina. He looked freaking unbelievable out there.

Edited by Z and D for the C

Lol - yeah, Zetterberg was gunning for Talbot there. How many fights has Zetterberg been in again?

Again, please point to this "fine print" you seem to have found that pardons non-goons.

1. If you see a player involved in a scrum with one of your own the first instinct is to help him out

2. If you think Malkin was out there to send a message you are delusional

3. Regardless of fine print, non goons in the past have been pardoned from this rule. Not just Malkin.

All I'm saying is that the star treatment s*** is retarded-- that's why Neidavacation took liberties with Datsyuk in the Anahiem series- he knew he put too many points on the board to get a suspension for it. If you're going to ding a goon you have to ding a star. Simple as that.

And Malkin's fight was 100% about sending a message, not the same message as a goon tries to send, but a message none the less. Malkin doesn't just fight out of frustration all the time here, and Zetterberg is hardly an instigator.

1. If you see a player involved in a scrum with one of your own the first instinct is to help him out

3. Regardless of fine print, non goons in the past have been pardoned from this rule. Not just Malkin.

1. Sure, help him out by restraining the other guy.

2. No, you just don't agree with Doc.

3. So? That doesn't make is correct or something people don't have the right to gripe about. That ruling was something either side was going to question no matter what the result was, all it meant was the Wings fans got to complain this time. Although to be fair, we have at least we have a leg to stand on since our guy was the one who got attacked.

1) You help by punching that person? I see players grab other players in that situation 99% of the time -- and that is if I am buying Talbot was in any danger from Zetterberg, gasp, holding him.

2) And you are drinking Bettman's koolaide if you think that was anything else.

3) In a more spur-of-the moment fight sure. Refs quite frankly rarely call the 'instigator' and yet they did there - knowing full-well the implications of that call.

For a second there, I was trying to figure out why a player checking somebody on his own team warranted a "f*** yes", but then I realized "Oh wait...Kopecky is a Hawk..."

Well, that was a fun game. The teams seemed to spar pretty evenly for most of the game, but there was a 5, 10 minute window in the second that did the Hawks in.

Detroit is still the better team, but the Hawks have come a long way, no?

So Osgood had a very good game, but no other Wing really stuck out to me. I did notice Williams turn the puck over a couple of times, though.

You know who's been really on fire lately? Nik Hjalmarsson. Oh man, he has been absolutely great lately. I thought he was the Hawks' best D-man tonight. If he survives Blackhawks "CAP ARMAGEDDON!!!!!!1111!!!!!"â„¢ than I expect Wings fans to be cursing his name for years.

See you in December.

Hjalmarsson was good tonight, I agree. I wouldn't downplay the cap trouble, though, because it will hurt you-- it's impossible for it not to. Whether it's a killing blow or a simple set-back remains to be seen, but you would be fine if your GM didn't blow his load early by signing a bunch of expensive free agents over the last two years. He shouldn't have screwed with a team that was already jumping ahead by leaps and bounds. It remains to be seen what the end result will be. All I know is you guys will lose depth and at least one star. Based on the fact that Bowman is making some of the calls (and I mean the hall of fame Bowman, not the capologist) I have a hard time believing Keith will be the one to go. So basically-- bye bye Kane.

1) You help by punching that person? I see players grab other players in that situation 99% of the time -- and that is if I am buying Talbot was in any danger from Zetterberg, gasp, holding him.

2) And you are drinking Bettman's koolaide if you think that was anything else.

3) In a more spur-of-the moment fight sure. Refs quite frankly rarely call the 'instigator' and yet they did there - knowing full-well the implications of that call.

Wow.

Amazing really.

Let's get the thread back on topic guys. We're supposed to be talking about the game tonight.

GMR showing that he has what it takes to be a mod.

Hard to imagine you breaking up a fight like this.

What'd you think of May tonight? I thought he was great. He fought, he didn't hurt us and he was +1. Nothing bad anyone can say about him.

Hard to imagine you breaking up a fight like this.

What'd you think of May tonight? I thought he was great. He fought, he didn't hurt us and he was +1. Nothing bad anyone can say about him.

I already theorized that his presence resulted in the Hawks not going for scrums after whistles, like they usually do. I'm happy with how things went.

I think he and Helm would make for a great checking tandem, but unfortunately, May will be sent down when Helm comes back.

I already theorized that his presence resulted in the Hawks not going for scrums after whistles, like they usually do. I'm happy with how things went.

I think he and Helm would make for a great checking tandem, but unfortunately, May will be sent down when Helm comes back.

Can May play defense? I mean he can skate and he can't be worse than Lebda...

Thanks for the win, boys. Now I can take off my "Oh God, Let's Panic" hat off for at least a day. ;)

I am SOOOO Looking forward to attending my first two EVER games at the Joe next week. I'll be there for the Kings and the Nordilanche games as my 10th wedding anniversary present from my wife. She's sending me out of town, away from her and the kiddos for a whole weekend. If that isn't a reason to marry a woman, I don't know what is. ;)

Regs,

Jeff

Wouldn't it be great. :thumbup:

Hopefully Matt will give me some special permission to be a mod for a week. Or maybe we could do a LGW contest, where the winner becomes a mod for a month or so.

Stay on topic, please, or you won't be allowed to be a mod for one minute.

Hopefully the fire that killing the 5-on-3 privided will give our PK something to shoot for. Malts was in the box at the time. Add him to that group. Dats/Kron/Stu can kill the penalty, and Malts can pot the SHG's.

(GMR- You know I'm just funning ya, right?)

Edited by 55fan

Wow.

Amazing really.

Are younger NHL fans really this clueless (on this particularly issue, that is not a sweeping condescension). Do you not remember why the instigator rules were put in place? And then the addition, as players were obviously taking advantage of the final minutes in a game.

It was exactly for what happened in that game - a larger player going after a skilled, non-fighter player from the other team after a loss to A) Do it and not have to suffer much consequence from the penalty itself and B) To send a message

It was not just "goons" doing this.

Watch the tape - Pittsburgh was down 0-2, was obviously frustrated (particularly Malkin who had been completely shut down at that point) and he went out of his way to target Zetterberg (the cazuse of much of Pittsburgh's frustration) and throw punches at him. 99.9% of the time no one goes after Zetterberg like that for holding another player. This was exactly the type of situation the rules were created for - like it or lump it.

Do you really think that was a spur of the moment fight there between two willing combatants?

Edited by egroen