• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hoogs

Bertuzzi = Lang?

Rate this topic

I don't know about you guys, but last night I saw shades of Lang in Bertuzzi and it scared me. Now don't get me wrong, I am not fully committing to this yet, but boy did he look bad in spurts. Weak board play, giveaways and blind passes that lead to even more giveaways.

The reason I am not fully committing to this *yet* is because despite the flaws mentioned above, he actually had a decent game and played decent on the defensive side of the puck.

I am really hoping this is just him getting adjusted with his new teammates, but I don't have a good feeling :blink:

He had some chances near the net last night that didn't work out, he was very good in the defensive zone. He hustled on the back check and made some very good defensive plays. I thought he looked good.

He had some chances near the net last night that didn't work out, he was very good in the defensive zone. He hustled on the back check and made some very good defensive plays. I thought he looked good.

I agree. No, he didn't show up on the score sheet. Yes, he was playing with Dats and Z. Still, Bert looked very solid last night, getting some good scoring chances AND was very responsible defensively. If he can continue to play like that every night, he will end up being a great signing.

Edited by Grateful Gadsby

Nope. Not even close. Bert hasnt shown up on the score sheet much, but this guy is playing defense. He saved a goal against the Hawks the other night when he jammed up the Hawks players stick preventing him from putting the puck in the wide open net. Last night, he was backchecking and skating hard the whole game. I think he is playing really well. Its been said a 100 times by the wings players, coaches, staff and GM that the wings are focussing on a more defensive game this year after losing alot of scorers. I think Bert is fitting the mold that the wings are trying to create for this season. Now does that mean i dont expect him to score some goals? No, he should put up some pretty good numbers since this is the first season of his in a very long time that he has said he feels 100%. Add that to the fact that hes ganna be getting plenty of playing time with first liners Z and D, the guy should put up plenty of good numbers. But he has impressed me so far this season with his hard skating, especially in his own zone, and the responsibility he has shown in the defensive aspect of the game, a few things that Lang never did....I think its a little earlier to pick our scapegoat for the season if you ask me.

We have to change our expectations for Bert. I can't recall where but I saw a quote where he basically said his goal was to transform into a defensive player to fit into the system. That being said, I think he did pretty well. Defensively he was great. As far as the offense, he just has to adjust to his new role and figure out what he can go for and what he can't. Like others said, he had some good chances.

I agree with everyone but the OP really... At times I was a bit annoyed that he couldn't score, but he redeemed himself by solid defensive play. Similarly, at times I wished that he would finish a check, but then changed my mind when I saw him wheel a way to get back into a better defensive position. I certainly don't think that he's been lazy - hopefully he can get some offensive chemistry going, but if he's playing well defensively, I'm happy.

The bottom line is this......... Bertuzzi is NOT the player he was 6 or 7 years ago. His role has changed, and when he signed in Detroit, it was understood on both sides of the table that he would be needed to do a few things well, and anything else would be icing on the cake. To his credit, he hasn't taken bad penalties the way the Canadian press said he would, and he has performed adequately. Lets wait before passing judgement.

I agree with most of you guys as well, he has looked pretty good defensively *so far*. But is that why we signed him? Im not so sure. Didn't we sign him to replace some of the goals missing from all of our departures? Pay close attention to him in the OFFENSIVE zone and you will see the Lang similarities I am talking about. Bad decisions and looking out of place.

Hopefully this is just him getting adjusted to this team and I am wrong about him, but I just have a feeling he is going to end up more of a liability then a contributor to this team. I guess we wait and see.

I hope I'm wrong

Guest mindfly

What I noticed is that:

1. He isn't using his big body, isn't forechecking nor finish checks, did the moore inncident destroy him inside?

2 .He must improve his passing ability, not many passes with an adress

3. He's a bit of a turnover machine, be smarter with the puck dammit....

If you listen, you can hear Bert apologize for bumping into opposing players. His snarl is gone for good. Whether it's his back or the Moore incident, or both, he's now a plumber's apprentice. It's too bad, and I wish him well but he is what he is...

I agree with most of you guys as well, he has looked pretty good defensively *so far*. But is that why we signed him? Im not so sure. Didn't we sign him to replace some of the goals missing from all of our departures? Pay close attention to him in the OFFENSIVE zone and you will see the Lang similarities I am talking about. Bad decisions and looking out of place.

Hopefully this is just him getting adjusted to this team and I am wrong about him, but I just have a feeling he is going to end up more of a liability then a contributor to this team. I guess we wait and see.

I hope I'm wrong

I'm glad that it looks like there is only one poster in this thread that is expecting a perfect 2-way player for $1.5 million. I would be ECSTATIC if for $1.5 million Holland just signed another Lang.

Anyone who is expecting the 40-goal scoring proto-power forward that Bertuzzi was 7 years ago is kidding themselves. Age, injury, and the Moore incident has changed him. He's not here to crush people into the boards and shoot for the Richard Trophy... he's here to be a top 6, 20-25 goal scorer that uses his big frame to get to the net. The fact that he was playing with such speed and defensive tenacity the past two games to me is a very nice bonus.

I hope he keeps his play up, he's doing well out there for his role.

Last night was Bertuzzi's best game ever in a Red Wings jersey. He played like Franzen should..

Seriously, Franzen is the biggest forward on the team and hes Charmin soft. See Bert knock Ovechkin on his ass for no reason? Thats the way the Wings need to play. If Pavel Datsyuk is leading the team in hits over guys like Franzen, Cleary and Kronwall you know that there is a problem.

He was garbage the first two games... but so was most of the team. he was solid the next two games, and I think just needs to get used to Z and Dats.

That said, I think I'll turn on him fast if he doesn't hit the score sheet shortly. :)

Guest gofish

Bert has said he wants to focus on d more with the wings now. And if it weren't for him last night its a 3-3 game. He flat out stole a goal away with his back checking. I would like to see him get the O going, but thus far he seems good out there.

Haters gonna hate. keep it up bert.

He was garbage the first two games... but so was most of the team. he was solid the next two games, and I think just needs to get used to Z and Dats.

That said, I think I'll turn on him fast if he doesn't hit the score sheet shortly. :)

I'm seeing Bertuzzi as a Holmstrom-like player. Hit, block, score every now and then. If I see 20 goals from him as well as the kind of defense he played last night and Thursday, the signing was a success.