• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

10/24 GDT: Red Wings 1 at Avalanche 3

Rate this topic

How many games into the season are we, and people are declaring the Wings won't make the playoffs??

gotta love LGW.

I am curious as too when those of you who decry any statement that in all reality sums up the Wings so far will feel that it is ok to worry? Is it 15 games in? 20 games in? When can people, in your little world, begin expressing concern without your scorn?

Howard is bad. Osgood has been playing bad. Our stars are not scoring, and our secondary scoring is at best, very mediocre. When you add all that up you have a team that isn't going to fare very well.

I don't think it's a lack of ability. They've got two star players capable of being top twenty point scorers, several top six forwards, and many more-than-capable role players to fill up the back two lines, not to mention one of the best defense corps on paper. Also, the goaltending really hasn't been the problem thus far.

Sure, we lost Hossa, Sammy, Hudler, Franzen, etc. but our roster was unbelievably stacked last year that, even with a complete lack of motivation at times, we made it to the Stanley Cup Finals. This year we've got to make up for that loss of talent with the attributes that won us the 'Cup two years ago: motivation and hard work.

This^^

But I caanot think Zetterberg is playing like the team's best player. He is playing good but not scoring goals, which has been the issue of this team, not a goaltending

I am curious as too when those of you who decry any statement that in all reality sums up the Wings so far will feel that it is ok to worry? Is it 15 games in? 20 games in? When can people, in your little world, begin expressing concern without your scorn?

Howard is bad. Osgood has been playing bad. Our stars are not scoring, and our secondary scoring is at best, very mediocre. When you add all that up you have a team that isn't going to fare very well.

I won't call the season a loss until we're mathematically eliminated from any playoff spot. Until that time comes, there's always a chance the Wings can get into the playoffs and once you're in, anything can happen.

I'm sorry that while I recognize the team has major flaws, I am not prepared to write the season off in October.

I would like to dedicate a single post to Howard's performance tonight.

He did everything that was expected of him, and the defense and offense tonight let him down.

Good job Howard for proving me wrong.

Agreed. I did not like that second goal that went in, but he was good enough. I'd like him to get another start soon so maybe he can get a rhythm going. That's what seemed to happen every time he got called up in the past, no goal support. I can't believe the PP was that s***ty. This year is getting scary pretty fast. Ken Holland said he wanted 3 victories on this road trip. How about 1 kenny?

Some perspective before people call this team the Dead Things.

That era Red Wings made the playoffs once between 1971 and 1983. In the 80s when they really were called the Dead Things, they could barely manage to win 20 games a season, and this is when the Norris division mostly sucked.

This team has not been good so far, but they are far from the Dead Things.

UHH What?!??! :blink:

Im sorry.. Right now we are in 11th in the west.... what would you call it ?

If the Wings paid Bert to hit posts he'd be the best bargain in the league right now. :P

Datsyuk seems stuck in last season's playoffs, where he's got all the moves and is creating tons of chances and nothing is going in the net -- although the same could easily be said for the rest of the guys right now.

Critically, a bad, late goal spells doom for the Wings, probably as bad a trend as any that they've displayed this season. As Osgood so often did last season (and in some of the early going this season) Howard spoiled an otherwise sterling effort with a weak goal at a bad time.

I don't know, I think their scoring is going to pick up. I can't see how it won't, really. Goaltending, I'm less sure about. They're losing valuable points now while they try and get themselves in order and that sucks, but it's obviously not even close to too late.

It feels really weird to see Pittsburgh and Colorado having seasons that the Wings usually have.

I mean, I don't expect the Wings to be #1 every year, but even in off years they're still above average.

This is just...weird. The Wings seem to be doing everything, but nothing is going in.

Even our defense isn't THAT bad anymore. Two goals scored against is about to be expected. I wonder the teams average this season is? 3?

At any rate, I have a weird feeling about this season. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are LOOKING good out there, but they're not producing the way they should be. I know they have points, but something just feels off.

Ever since the end of last season, I don't even think it's a lack of heart anymore. With all the young blood we have we have heart and we fight for the puck. Things just aren't going the Wings' way for some reason..

And that makes me nervous.

Agreed.

I can't deal with this ******* stress. I'm angry, have a headache, and I'm incredibly irritable. All because of this ******* hockey I'm watching. This is really annoying. How come Datsyuk and Zetterberg are suddenly unable to score? Why did we once again, have to count on the bottom two lines to score?

Right now the bottom two lines are creating the most scoring chances. That's f***ed up. Datsyuk and Zetterberg can't seem to finish. Filppula's line looks really good but doesn't score. What's going on? Lidstrom's been dominant defensively (although he had three giveaways last game) but hasn't looked even remotely like himself offensively.

Tonight we went up against the hottest goalie in the league and couldn't crack him. 40+ shots and one goal? WTF? That's a herculean effort from the Avalanche goalie, yes, but it's also unacceptable right now because the Wings have been struggling to score for the past few games.

Am I panicing? No. So I swear to ******* god- if Snazzy does his trite panic button posts I'm just going to block him. We're not even 10 games in, yeah, we're just over 10% of the way into the season and we're 3-4-2? Christ. This ridiculousness won't last long-- Holland won't sit ideally by and watch the Wings implode-- we have to maximize the number of playoff runs while Lidstrom is still here. When Lidstrom retires we can expect some lean, lean years, yeah, but right now while he's still around Holland is going to try to maximize the number of shots we have at the cup. There's no sense squandering Lidstrom's remaining years in an extended rebuilding/retooling phase.

On the plus side Bertuzzi had a whale of a night, or at least as much of one you can have when you hit the post every time you shoot. Howard was brilliant. Howard was the best Red Wing on the ice by a long shot. This is a Red Wings team that let Howard down, not the other way around.

f***. So frustrated.

Forget whatever differences we've had before. That was gold. :thumbup:

Anderson stopped 48 shots tonight. Wow. It got me thinking -- When is the last time a Detroit goaltender stopped 45+ shots in a game?

This isn't a hypothetical question either, I really am curious.

That doesn't happen often because Wings defense sucks.

Anderson stopped 48 shots tonight. Wow. It got me thinking -- When is the last time a Detroit goaltender stopped 45+ shots in a game?

Last season. Chris Osgood against the Dallas Stars.

50+ shots on goal. 5-4 loss in overtime.

IF Howard was bad tonight, I'll take that kind of bad for 82 games.

Get a grip. Tonight was NOT on Howard.

In no way, shape or form can this loss be laid at his feet.

Every loss needs a scapegoat. Forget the fact our offense is inept and our defense is slow.....no, we must blame Jimmy Howard. I'm waiting for Babcock to be next.

Edited by Electrophile

Give credit where it's due, Anderson was square to every shot. The wings played really well and Anderson stole this one. Don't get me wrong, I'm as bummed out as any of you but the wings played a pretty good game. They looked a little disorganized in a couple of the late powerplays but I think that was due to frustration. The powerplay was our weakness tonight, but 5 on 5 and on the PK, they played very good.

You gotta wonder what the threshold is for Ken Holland, at what point (if the losing continues) does he put his foot down and make some changes?

Datsyuk and Zetterberg look pretty lax out there, they still make some cute plays now and then but they are supposed to be the leaders of this team, they aren't doing that. I think Babcock needs to have a sit down with those 2.

I guess you could point the finger at howard on the 2nd goal but it was a sneaky shot, a veteran goaltender should be expected to stop one that that, but personally, I don't think Howard should be blamed here.

Edited by b-random

Last season. Chris Osgood against the Dallas Stars.

50+ shots on goal. 5-4 loss in overtime.

Thank you. I was looking through last years playoffs because I thought I remembered a game which had Osgood absolutely peppered.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20082009/GS020629.HTM (44 saves)

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20022003/GS021075.HTM (40 saves)

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20012002/GS020148.HTM (40 saves)

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20002001/GS020111.HTM (46 saves)

4 times in the past 10 years that a Red wings goalie has stopped 40 or more shots.

If the Wings paid Bert to hit posts he'd be the best bargain in the league right now. :P

Datsyuk seems stuck in last season's playoffs, where he's got all the moves and is creating tons of chances and nothing is going in the net -- although the same could easily be said for the rest of the guys right now.

Critically, a bad, late goal spells doom for the Wings, probably as bad a trend as any that they've displayed this season. As Osgood so often did last season (and in some of the early going this season) Howard spoiled an otherwise sterling effort with a weak goal at a bad time.

I don't know, I think their scoring is going to pick up. I can't see how it won't, really. Goaltending, I'm less sure about. They're losing valuable points now while they try and get themselves in order and that sucks, but it's obviously not even close to too late.

You're dead on about Datsyuk... I have no idea why it's happening, though... is it that other teams have him "figured out"? That seems unlikely for someone as creative as Datsyuk-- he's hardly predictable out there.

As far as Howard goes-- I completely disagree. Bad goal or not, that was still only the second goal that was scored on him. With the way the Wings played offensively Howard can't be blamed at all. If you only let 2 goals in all night you're doing a great job in net. The only way he could have won that game was with a shut-out. That's an absurdly unrealistic expectation to have of your goalie. If you play a game and only manage to score one goal the blame lies on the offense. That is especially true for this game where the Wings had 7 PP opportunities and failed to convert on any of them.

well then, another game the Wings have been on top and managed to lose. How long will the top brass put up with this. Its clear what is needed, enough of the hard luck stories we are just not getting it done. 49 shots and only 1 goal! Its time to trade for a goalscorer and if it means losing some roster player to get it done then thats what they'll have to do. Because if this goes on much longer, a top 8 spot could be out of reach for us by xmas. No this isn't a panic post this is a point of view from a harden fan who has watched every game bar the Buffalo fiasco. I can't see where we are going to be able to get the 3 goals a game we'll need with our netminding to start winning games on a regular basis. I had us down to pick up 5 points on this road trip, I cant see us getting the 2 wins in the next 3 games to do this. I honestly thought we would win tonight and in Phoenix, but not to be. I hope the guys prove me wrong and win the next 3 and make this a good road trip.

Well, it looks like I called it with my comment about putting in a full game and still coming up short. That second goal allowed by Howard sucked, but he looked solid elsewhere. Once again, our buddy Lebda is on the ice and centrally involved in a goal against. Yikes, this guy just draws goals against like flies to poop.

Anderson once again was a wall. If we had goaltending that could save our bacon when we turn in subpar performances this year, it would be us up at the top of the heap right now. We did everything we could on 7 powerplays and still couldn't crack through. Granted, the 3 PPs in the last minutes of the game looked pretty awful, but it also looked like they were tired from being out there so long shift and shift.

PK looked pretty good tonight for a chance. Nice to see.

I still think calling off Bertuzzi's goal was a Mt. Kilimanjaro sized pile of doo doo, but then again, I don't get paid to make those calls... or to watch these games. What is up with THAT? :)

Anyway, easily one of the better efforts I have seen from the gang this year. Came out on the short side again, but that's going to happen. Good teams make their own luck. We're still trying to dig out of the "average team" hole we've dug ourselves.

Hopefully we see a similar level of effort with a better result on Tuesday.

Lets Go Wings!

Regs,

Jeff

Perspective is for *******. The right thing to do is overreact and decry the end of the season. All the cool kids are doing it! You want to be cool, right?

Nearly everyone here is a dedicated Wings fan. You'll have to excuse people for wanting to vent their frustrations after watching the Wings fail so utterly when they have no excuse or clear reason for doing so.

There's a huge difference between venting frustration after a crappy game and being Mindfly.

You're dead on about Datsyuk... I have no idea why it's happening, though... is it that other teams have him "figured out"? That seems unlikely for someone as creative as Datsyuk-- he's hardly predictable out there.

As far as Howard goes-- I completely disagree. Bad goal or not, that was still only the second goal that was scored on him. With the way the Wings played offensively Howard can't be blamed at all. If you only let 2 goals in all night you're doing a great job in net. The only way he could have won that game was with a shut-out. That's an absurdly unrealistic expectation to have of your goalie. If you play a game and only manage to score one goal the blame lies on the offense. That is especially true for this game where the Wings had 7 PP opportunities and failed to convert on any of them.

Bingo. Especially with offensive players like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, and Rafalski.

It is amazing how they are getting outperformed by the lower-tier forwards.

Man the selectiveness of some here is astounding. I don't remember anyone blaming this lost "solely at Howards feet". If you were replying to my comment, which I think you were, you clearly missed 90% of what I said. No first line scoring, secondary scoring, etc.

And btw - Howard was ok. Anyone calling his play brilliant is a dolt. Anderson played brilliant, Howard didn't play as bad as he usually does.

Just because Jhoward has the bar set lower then any other goaltender in Wing history doesn't mean every time he makes a save his play becomes "brilliant".