• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

thedatsyukian

Patrick Eaves Watch Thread.

Rate this topic

wwwreuterscomkj.jpg

Patrick Eaves not one to dog it on the ice

To the great delight of his Red Wings teammates, Patrick Eaves owns a small horse masquerading as a Newfoundland dog, which from what they've seen is the one in control during walks and certainly able to take him in a fight.

Not that they don't recognize how tough Eaves is -- in fact, he showed his scrappy side when he fought Kris Russell during Wednesday's 4-3 victory over Columbus at Joe Louis Arena. Besides throwing punches, Eaves, together with Helm, get a lot of credit for the success of the penalty kill and for infusing youth into the lineup.

Eaves, 25, and Helm, 23, have played together most of the season, and while their primary role is as a checking line, both can chip in offensively -- like Helm setting up Dan Cleary's winning goal against Columbus -- making them like a Generation: Next of Kris Draper and Kirk Maltby.

"They've been a good mix," coach Mike Babcock said of Eaves and Helm. "One guy flies around, the other guy is looking after him a bit more, but they've both been good, and we need them to continue to be good."

Helm and Eaves are the go-to forwards for killing penalties, and it says something about their efficiency that their own power forwards are glad they're not facing them.

"Eaves blocks a lot of shots with his hands, without falling down on the ice," Johan Franzen said. "He's one of our best at that. Helm's got speed. When you're on the power play, you've really got to be careful what you do with the puck, because if Helm gets a hold of it, he'll definitely beat you back to your own net. I wouldn't want to play against them."

For Eaves, it's a matter of taking pride in his work.

"It hurts, but I look at it as a huge part of the game and huge part of our penalty kill," he said. "Some guys you see wind up and you're a little hesitant, but still you just try to get in the way and hope it hits a pad."

While the Wings have valued Helm since he came up from the minors and looked right at home in the playoffs two years ago, Eaves was uncovered last August as a free-agent leftover. Now he's another example of someone who came to Detroit and thrived.

"They've done a great job," Draper said. "Helmer's a great skater, and he certainly likes to mix it up and get in on the forecheck. Eaver, it's unbelievable what a great shot-blocker he is. They bring a lot of energy to this hockey club."

They also bring laughter, Helm for what's perceived as a resemblance to Lloyd Christmas from "Dumb and Dumber," Eaves for that big dog of his. Rueben, according to Eaves, weighs 125 pounds at 18 months old, and that's nothing compared to his mom, who weighed 190 (Rueben's, not Eaves').

"His dog is bigger than both of us," Helm said, laughing. "It's huge. I saw the dog pull him around yesterday in the dressing room. If he wants to go somewhere, Patty is not going to be able to stop it, that's all I'm saying."

http://www.freep.com/article/20100408/SPORTS05/4080468/1053/sports05/Patrick-Eaves-not-one-to-dog-it-on-the-ice

8:42 with 2 shots against the Jackets.

Geez, why don't they just bench him... Not even 9 minutes :( Give the guy a chance on the point during the power play. He would do better than Williams. Eaves isn't being used up to his potential.

Edited by bd2988

Final regular season stats:

64 games:

12 goals

10 assists

22 points

His highest point and goal totals since 2006-07 and the second highest assists in a season.

Well done to a great regular season Eavesy! :thumbup: Now deliver in the playoffs as I know you can!

Edited by Aussie_Wing

Final regular season stats:

64 games:

12 goals

10 assists

22 points

His highest point and goal totals since 2006-07 and the second highest assists in a season.

Well done to a great regular season Eavesy! :thumbup: Now deliver in the playoffs as I know you can!

How good is that rate for 13 minutes a game? Average? Above Average?

One final update for the season that includes the playoffs. Honestly, I think he was one of the most important additions the team made this season. After Helm, he was our most consistent penalty killing forward, creating a terrific tandem. Hopefully he's back next season.

Edited by thedatsyukian

One final update for the season that includes the playoffs. Honestly, I think he was one of the most important additions the team made this season. After Helm, he was our most consistent penalty killing forward, creating a terrific tandem. Hopefully he's back next season.

Helm and Eaves need a guy on their line who can really dish out the physical play so that they can forecheck more recklessly.

Helm and Eaves need a guy on their line who can really dish out the physical play so that they can forecheck more recklessly.

Abby :D

Edited by bd2988

Abby :D

Ideally, yes. I think they need more of a veteran presence in that area though. NOT Draper, obviously.

Besides, I have a "bad" feeling about Abby. Not that he won't be an NHL player but that he might be a little too skilled for that kind of role.

He might fight some to start out. But then all of a sudden he gets some more ice time, racks up some points, plays significant minutes on the PK and realizes that he'd rather be on the ice instead of in the box. Therefore, he'll eventually evolve into a "fighting only when absolutely necessary" kind of guy. It's not really a bad thing to have a player like that. I just don't think we can count on a guy like that to be an intense physical checking presence.

Ideally, yes. I think they need more of a veteran presence in that area though. NOT Draper, obviously.

Besides, I have a "bad" feeling about Abby. Not that he won't be an NHL player but that he might be a little too skilled for that kind of role.

He might fight some to start out. But then all of a sudden he gets some more ice time, racks up some points, plays significant minutes on the PK and realizes that he'd rather be on the ice instead of in the box. Therefore, he'll eventually evolve into a "fighting only when absolutely necessary" kind of guy. It's not really a bad thing to have a player like that. I just don't think we can count on a guy like that to be an intense physical checking presence.

Abby could end up like a Shanny type player. Not saying he'll be as good just that he would fight when he had to and was capable of doing it.

Babcock wants him fighting so at least next season Abby will be fighting.

Abby could end up like a Shanny type player. Not saying he'll be as good just that he would fight when he had to and was capable of doing it.

Babcock wants him fighting so at least next season Abby will be fighting.

Abby needs a partner in crime in the fighting department,and from the looks of the Nill interview,Detroit is well aware of this.

Abby needs a partner in crime in the fighting department,and from the looks of the Nill interview,Detroit is well aware of this.

Yeah Abby is more of a compliment type fighter to someone who is tougher and less skilled. You don't want Abby doing all your fighting but he could be a good guy to fight every now and then.

Yeah Abby is more of a compliment type fighter to someone who is tougher and less skilled. You don't want Abby doing all your fighting but he could be a good guy to fight every now and then.

Nill said were looking at a few guys who will drop the gloves so it'll be interesting.Can you imagine Jared Boll in a Wings sweater??I'm so pumped for July 1st its not even funny.