• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CenterIce

Jimmy!

Rate this topic

a) He's not a rookie and;

b) What do you mean "judge"?

I think most here are simply applauding his last two performances, or at least tonight's performance. I doubt anyone's gonna begin to suggest he's a starter.

a) Yes he is. At least he is according to the NHL rules.

b)judgedredd.jpg

Always love the massive emotional swings of this place. Good stuff as always. Last week's epic bust is this week's Vezina finalist.

He was awesome last night. Stole us 2 points. Hopefully there's more where that came from, because we're probably in a spot where we're going to need the goalie to steal a few, and that goalie's going to be Howard 30-40% of the time.

Impressive showing by J-Ho last night. I figured he's settle down soon enough. Wings organization is pretty good at seeing diamonds in the rough. the chicken-littles around here crack me up.

Edited by HOCKEY MATTERS

I'll also confess that I'm very pleasantly surprised by Howard so far. I'm breathing a little easier now, but hopefully the trend will continue.

Good, I would not want you do die due to lack of breath.

Babcock put it best, Howard is pressing, babs said in practice they have seen this from him, then when in the game he stiffens up and that is where babs thinks the rebound issue is coming from.

BTW Hockeystreams.com gives you access to the post game, unlike the free ones and that is how I know. Thanks again P.marlowe.

you guys are clowns i must say. i remember i was one of maybe 5 people on here who actually thought howard could handle the job and everyone on here said how he wasnt proven and blah blah blah.

i emphasized that up until that point the red wings had never even showed up in front of him one time, and that every time he got a chance to start he was hung out to dry and still impressed me (i was a goalie ovbiously). see what happens when the guy gets a little confidence and his head in the game? he has tremendous skill and now you can all eat your words and go back to "hating on ozzie" again. (God forbid Howard has another rough game or it is right back to the " WE NEED A REAL BACK UP" debate, right?

Geez this is all over the place! Isn't OK to say he's played well the past two games? It doesn't mean people are calling him a Hall of Famer. He's going to have some bad games, but hopefully he'll have more good games like the past two.

There is a difference between saying someone played well and thinking the guy is a bona fide NHLer. Howard still has a lot to prove, but he played nicely on back to back games.

Geez this is all over the place! Isn't OK to say he's played well the past two games? It doesn't mean people are calling him a Hall of Famer. He's going to have some bad games, but hopefully he'll have more good games like the past two.

There is a difference between saying someone played well and thinking the guy is a bona fide NHLer. Howard still has a lot to prove, but he played nicely on back to back games.

he came in the nhl in 05 with a rough start but let up only 7 goals in the following 3 games which is not too shabby for a young guy like that. doesnt get a shot in 06-07 and in 07-08 he comes in after liddy is injured to play a couple of games (the team was PATHETIC without liddy for those 10 or whatever games. i think we lost like all of em.) and howard let up 4 one game where the team just got shelled and he still played awesome. let up 1 goal a game the rest of his 3, and the team FAILED TO GET HIM A WIN.

this kid has talent, deserves a full-blown shot and i think we will all be impressed as he gains confidence. his favorite goalie was luongo and he prides him self on trying to model his style afters luongos.... which before i even heard that i always thought he kind of looked likeluongo in the net.

he came in the nhl in 05 with a rough start but let up only 7 goals in the following 3 games which is not too shabby for a young guy like that. doesnt get a shot in 06-07 and in 07-08 he comes in after liddy is injured to play a couple of games (the team was PATHETIC without liddy for those 10 or whatever games. i think we lost like all of em.) and howard let up 4 one game where the team just got shelled and he still played awesome. let up 1 goal a game the rest of his 3, and the team FAILED TO GET HIM A WIN.

this kid has talent, deserves a full-blown shot and i think we will all be impressed as he gains confidence. his favorite goalie was luongo and he prides him self on trying to model his style afters luongos.... which before i even heard that i always thought he kind of looked likeluongo in the net.

Good recall, I remember a 1-0 loss to Dallas in which Howard played solid and I was hoping he'd be up last year. Unfortunately he got held back another year, and we're looking at a guy who lost some of that touch, he's getting back to NHL-caliber, but still has several games before we know how good he'll be.

Daaaaammmmmnnn! howard looked good at the end there making big saves! right on Jimmy! keep it up!

Same type of play he showed in the dying minutes of the last Wings - Canucks game in Vancouver, to preserve the one goal lead.

He definitely has Schneider's number. :thumbup:

Edited by rick zombo

Do you also recall last year in the AHL where he was practically outplayed game in game out by a first year European goalie?

This isn't really directed at you, but I'm giving him credit when credit is do; But to say he's been undeserving of criticism up until now is a little far-fetched. He is known for being streaky, that's why I'm hoping he can at least be consistent this time around(which this year is his final chance in Detroit).

Do you also recall last year in the AHL where he was practically outplayed game in game out by a first year European goalie?

This isn't really directed at you, but I'm giving him credit when credit is do; But to say he's been undeserving of criticism up until now is a little far-fetched. He is known for being streaky, that's why I'm hoping he can at least be consistent this time around(which this year is his final chance in Detroit).

Do you also recall him being one of the best netminders in the AHL for 2 years?

Do you also recall him being one of the best netminders in the AHL for 2 years?

There are many "all star" AHL goaltenders that never make it in the NHL. Howard has always been very inconsistent, and that is my main worry with him. It is a common attribute in most young goaltenders though.

Edited by Carman

Great to see Jimmy playing well. He can play even better IMO. It would be very prudent to get him in some more games and not have to wait for two weeks to play again. He's looking more relaxed as his confidence grows. He's still coming a bit too far out if his net, which is also where the rebound control issue is coming from IMO. He has great mobility and quickness so it seems odd they have him challenging so hard. That being said, he stopped a lot of deflections last night because he out on top of the crease. Great win for him and the team last night. As one of the few people who claimed he was an NHL goalie I wish him continued sucess.

Edited by Pucks

There are many "all star" AHL goaltenders that never make it in the NHL. Howard has always been very inconsistent, and that is my main worry with him. It is a common attribute in most young goaltenders though.

I seem to recal that this board's favorite goalie Osgood being streaky too...especially last season.

howards skill has never even been question because anybody who has seem him play HIS game understands what im talking about. his consistency however, has been questioned since before he was even drafted, which is one of the last things a GREAT goalie develops, it just comes with playing time and experience. (pro experience, not AHL) they gave howard all the time to grow into an nhl ready goaltender which seems to have paid off, now howard needs to take advantage of the playing time, his verteran predecessor, and prepare himself to be a successful CONSISTANT backstopper for the future of the detroit red wings with skin as thick as ozzies. (you know, to be booed one game, have your last name chanted the next. not easy be a drw goalie, ask essensa, chevelde wregget haha)

That being said, he stopped a lot of deflections last night because he out on top of the crease. Great win for him and the team last night. As one of the few people who claimed he was an NHL goalie I wish him continued sucess.

He also gave up a goal for this reason.

He also gave up a goal for this reason.

True, but he'll let in a hell of a lot more if he isn't on top of his crease. That deflection last night was sheer bad luck and those types of goals happen during the course of a season. I'll take any goalie playing the percentages by cutting off angles by being further out with a point shot coming in then the other way around.

Point and case: look at how that plagued Dom in the 07/08 first round. Way too deep in his crease, way too many shots found their way through because of all the extra room.

Please stop already!!!! After Howards first 2 starts everyone bitched and complained. Now he played well in his last 2 starts and everyone thinks he is a super star.

When he plays so so his next start is everyone going to say he sucks again, give it a rest!