• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Antilles328

The "No-Goal" discussion

Rate this topic

The Leafs had a somewhat similar call last night....In overtime, a goalmouth scramble ensues and Hagman gets cross-checked into Legace. The puck is sitting loose just outside the crease and the Carolina defender kicks it under Legace....only he kicks it right through Legace into the net.

The whistle goes afterwards and the ref uses his intent to blow the whistle rule and there's no goal.

From the explanation on nhl.com from dum dum mike murphy, he is pretty much telling me the ref blew the whistle and it was already dead because of the intent. which means he must have intended to blow it while may was in the middle of the shot. if thst is the case, it is a horrible call. the only other case is that he lost sight of it going in the goal. we all know that would be because the goalie stopped it with his foot in the net. so you are telling me he stopped the play and called it a dead puck because he saved it behind the goal line.

I swear if I saw that man in public I would stab him. that call was worse than the tuck rule they pulled on the raiders back in 2001. whats even worse is the NHL will not admit it was a blown call and they should have reviewed in toronto. I don't care what call was made on the ice. I know damn well the guys in toronto saw that replay and should have said in this case you are wrong, brad may just shot the puck in the net past the goalie. It is a goal. I can't believe babcock didn't come uncunted all over that guy. UNBELIEVABLE

I intended to stop at the f***in stop sign but didn't, so there fore the cop can't give me a ticket, right? I intended to take a piss before the game started but didn't so I pissed my pants while on the ice. But because the intent was there my f***in pants aren't wet, right? Intent don't mean s*** in the real world, only in the game of Hockey where officials are assholes and NEVER wrong.

Guest CaliWingsNut
The Leafs had a somewhat similar call last night....In overtime, a goalmouth scramble ensues and Hagman gets cross-checked into Legace. The puck is sitting loose just outside the crease and the Carolina defender kicks it under Legace....only he kicks it right through Legace into the net.

The whistle goes afterwards and the ref uses his intent to blow the whistle rule and there's no goal.

Well if he "kicked" it, it shouldn't be a goal anyways... no?

About time, Mike Murphy, the NHL's Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations

In all cases we want to get the right call. In this case it appears we didn't.
Edited by WpgMikos

Guest CaliWingsNut

I don't like this response.

I don't agree with him on video reviews. He makes it sound like a bad thing if players actually followed the rules of the game.

It takes what people are calling the worst call of the year, a missed-call with no doubt of being wrong what so ever, for the NHL to say... OOPS!

From the sounds of the article not much, if anything will be changed (regardless of the blogger's opinion of what may occur).

Edited by CaliWingsNut

Guest CaliWingsNut

If the whistle is already in his mouth...... when is intent to blow? The 2 tenths of a second to breathe? or the whole 5 seconds it was in his mouth?

Edit: this is relating to the leaf's call.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

Guest zackmorris

The NFL head of officiating goes on television weekly to call out his refs who made mistakes.

The NHL senior VP of hockey operations, pukes up a non-apology apology while tossing his schmuck ref under the bus. And it took the absolute worst call of the year to do it.

Add this to the laundry list of reasons this league is floundering and the NFL s***s money made of gold. The majority of those in power in the NHL just don't get it.

This is the same league and same official who royally f***ed us against Pittsburgh by basically calling any little thing on us, and letting their defense get away with murder with a smile. Call me crazy but I'll believe change is coming when I see it.

You can say it happens to every team but take 50 paces back and tell me we aren't the consistent recipients of calls so bad bloggers write articles about them.

Guest zackmorris

Speaking of intent to blow, has anyone read the Gary Bettman wiki entry? I think he wrote it himself.

Murphy never admitted they blew the call.

All he did was dance around the point and vaguely suggest that the rules that are in place are at fault for a 'missed opportunity' to get the call right. I was watching NHLive during his whole phone interview, and his argument reached absurdity when he suggested that this would lead to video review on hooking and offsides, etc.

Completely dodging the issue and admitting absolutely no accountability on their part shows the utter cowardice that exists within the highest tiers of the league. It saddens me.

Here's what gets me: The ref on the ice, after the review, his words were "There is no goal on the play because the whistle was blown". We all know that this is an outright lie. They later stated, well after the game, that this was an 'intent to blow' case, which was a blatant excuse of an afterthought.

Also, I believe it was Bettman who defended Larue by saying, 'he intended to blow the whistle when he lost sight of the puck'.... later saying, 'he lost sight of the puck, because it was hidden behind the pad of Auld, IN THE GOAL'... Their own logic provides all of the necessary evidence here.

Handled poorly at the time, we all know this. But again, handled even more poorly with their lack of admission or responsibility. They DID however suggest that this is a rule that they will look like, but you know what... that doesn't change the fact that teams have to suffer NOW due to the despicable incompetence of those in charge.

Guest zackmorris

What blew my mind was when he said "when the ref tells us the play was dead and he intended to blow the whistle, we wash our hands of it and have no power"

:huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

I can't even put into words how illogical and stupid that is.

Mike Murphy stated this on a pre-game telephone interview.

I can't speak for other Wings' fans but personally I will not get over the non-goal call until:

1) The rule is changed.

2) Screw-You LaRue is NOT on this year's eligible referring list for the playoffs.

Edited by Icesurfer

after all this explanation i still dont know why it wasnt reviewable in this instance.

in this clip evgeni nabokov makes a fantastic glove save, certainly when the ref saw the puck go in nobokovs glove he had "intent to blow" and subsequently blew the whistle stopping play. However there was reason to believe the puck had crossed the line and so it was reviewed. Whay was the case of the other night any different? Can someone explain that to me?

Guest CaliWingsNut

Edit: merge killed my statement.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

One of the posts below the article made me bust out laughing.

"If only Bettman's mom had intent to blow, the NHL wouldn't be in this sorry state. "

:rotflmao:

I believe the only reply to that is

O SNAP!