• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Green Wing

Darren McCarty officially retires.

Rate this topic

God Bless you D-mac. You have a special place in Red Wings lore. Well done :thumbup:

Probert vs McCarty Dec 12, 1996

capturesw.jpg

Edited by tdinc

Guest ZetterbergFourty

I'll miss ya McCarty

Most memorable McCarty moment?

It's def. between the 1997 Cup clinching goal, or when Claude turtled during the brawl in Detroit.

Glad he could be a part of the 2008 team.

Stay off the s*** Darren, have a good life after hockey!

He has been clean for over 2 years now.

Anyways, I hope my favorite all time Wing enjoys his post NHL days.

He still gambles, which doesn't seem like a healthy idea considering his past and current finances.

Best of luck to you, Mac. Detroit is gonna miss you.

Obviously this is a D-Mac love fest here. I can't really say i feel the same.

Came back in 08' just soon enough to earn another decent pay check to save his ass. It's a shame he luckily got into the Stanley Cup Finals game 1 and even got his name on the Cup.

As much as I'm not a big McCarty slappie (hard to be a big fan when you get mixed up in what he got mixed up in) the guy earned his cup ring in 08. Paid his dues in Flint and Grand Rapids, then played in the playoffs and was part of the game winner in game 4 of the finals.

Get off his case, already.

Came back in 08' just soon enough to earn another decent pay check to save his ass. It's a shame he luckily got into the Stanley Cup Finals game 1 and even got his name on the Cup.

And that's one Cup you wish you could have.

McCarty certainly has personal problems, but you're oh so Mr. Perfect I'm assuming?

In the spring of 2008 I found a Darren McCarty jersey in a second hand shop. I didn't care how much they wanted for it, I was bound and determined that it would be mine. I got it for 13 bucks.

That fall, I took it with me to training camp, somehow hoping that he might be there. Lo and behold, he was. I got him to sign the jersey, my hubby took a very nice picture of the two of us together, and I felt lucky that I was able to talk to him for a couple minutes. He was gracious, kind and very sweet.

That is the memory I will take of him with me.

I wish you good spaces, my friend...wherever the journey takes you, go with a cheerful heart, knowing that you will always be loved.

Memory: I went to my very first redwings game when I was 8. We got to the stadium really early like noon to check it out. We got there as the team was leaving their morning skate, I got 16 autographs that day, I will always remeber mac's big truck and my dad lifting me up to get my jersey signed, he was very nice and shook my hand. You are a legend Mac

Goodbye, and thank you

God bless you in your after hockey life

Edit* spelling

Edited by stevieisthebest

This was all posted on Kuklas Korner. :lol:

Darren McCarty officially called it quits today, even though we’d heard he retired several weeks ago. Craig Custance remains the best hockey writer in Detroit.

Sporting News

“I was going to dump it in, it was the end of the shift but [the puck] rolled on me. My reaction was to toe drag and the next thing I knew I had a step on Niinimaa. I was just trying to shield the puck and saw Hextall coming out ... the last thing I remember, I got the puck on my stick and I remember thinking ‘Don’t miss the net.’â€

As classic as that goal was, the reaction from Steve Yzerman might have been better.

“We were celebrating and the first guy I see is Stevie Yzerman in the pile. His eyes were as big as saucers and he said ‘What the [expletive] was that? I had no idea.â€

NHLPA’s official release on Mac’s retirement is here.

And this will blow your mind…

He'll be missed. But I think everyone knew his time was coming. Somewhere, Claude Lemieux is smiling.

And here's the goal for everyone;

Bye McCarty we love you.

Also another thing I would like to point out in that video the the way Yzerman kept his head up and moved from a potential crushing body check. I miss him them both :crybaby:

He still gambles, which doesn't seem like a healthy idea considering his past and current finances.

Best of luck to you, Mac. Detroit is gonna miss you.

He still drinks too. I wouldnt call that clean.

shut up, you know he had his problems that he was dealing with. this just goes to prove how great if ab organization the wings team is. when one of their former players is struggling even if hes not a big goal scorer they still treat him like family there. sometimes you need to keep your opinions to yourself

shut up, you know he had his problems that he was dealing with. this just goes to prove how great if ab organization the wings team is. when one of their former players is struggling even if hes not a big goal scorer they still treat him like family there. sometimes you need to keep your opinions to yourself

Agreed. There's nothing wrong with having an opinion, but there's no reason to piss on a guy's Post Toasties.

He is a legend in Detroit, and he will be remembered as such. As a member of the Red Wings, it is what he did on the ice that matters.

His personal story is also a great one of love, friendship, redemption, and hope. If you don't like it, fine, but this is his retirement. Give the guy a break and let him enjoy one final thread*.

*Yeah, I know. Like he actually reads this. Well, you never know. He might be bored.

Bye McCarty we love you.

Also another thing I would like to point out in that video the the way Yzerman kept his head up and moved from a potential crushing body check. I miss him them both :crybaby:

I'm a 20 year old male, and not afraid to admit when Yzerman retired, I cried. Seeing all these players I grew up watching when I first got into hockey, also making it easier to get into hockey, retire is tough. Guys like Yzerman, Shanny, and McCarty made it so easy to love hockey. I would love to thank them if I could.

But seeing guys like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Franzen willing to take possible pay decreases to stay here makes up for it a bit. It just goes to show you, at least for me, how great this club is.

Growing up when I first learned of hockey and the Red Wings when I was about seven years old, my favorite band was the Beatles, and Darren McCarty was my favorite player because his last name sounded like "McCartney".

Congrats on the career, Mac. Don't expect to see anyone else in Detroit wear #25.

He needs to get in the broadcast booth ASAP. He is a character, unlike a lot of the other drones or imbeciles that occupy it. He should either

A) Go to Versus (what ever happened with that anyway?)

B) Take over Murphy's job on FSD

Growing up when I first learned of hockey and the Red Wings when I was about seven years old, my favorite band was the Beatles, and Darren McCarty was my favorite player because his last name sounded like "McCartney".

Congrats on the career, Mac. Don't expect to see anyone else in Detroit wear #25.

I'd love for them to retire his jersey, even if it is unofficially.