• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kolo

Conditioning

Rate this topic

Say whatever you think, but I think the wings are not conditioned well this year. As I recall in the last game dats was out and actually went to the bench during a shift, I don't think I ever really noticed him doing that before. Does anyone know the details of how the wings practice and stuff?

On a side note, I think if we can make the playoffs with most of our original team haha, we will actually surprise many people. I do not even think we are bad right now, I think we are fine.

On an extra side note, people can shutup about the wings sucking, they are the best team ever :) Have their back even though they are having a really really rough start :).

Edited by kolo

I'm sure all the playoff games they've played over the past three years have caught up with them. They played 18 (6-6-6) in '07, 22 (6-4-6-6) in '08, 23 (4-7-5-7) in '09 for a total of 63 playoff games.

I'm sure all the playoff games they've played over the past three years have caught up with them. They played 18 (6-6-6) in '07, 22 (6-4-6-6) in '08, 23 (4-7-5-7) in '09 for a total of 63 playoff games.

Yup, the only thing I can say about that is in highschool and club sports, getting furthur into a season, I got a little bored after a while... but If I was getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars... I would never be tired haha. So since there is an an incentive of cash and Stanley cups... maybe they should pick it the heck up hah.

Say whatever you think, but I think the wings are not conditioned well this year. As I recall in the last game dats was out and actually went to the bench during a shift, I don't think I ever really noticed him doing that before. Does anyone know the details of how the wings practice and stuff?

On a side note, I think if we can make the playoffs with most of our original team haha, we will actually surprise many people. I do not even think we are bad right now, I think we are fine.

On an extra side note, people can shutup about the wings sucking, they are the best team ever :) Have their back even though they are having a really really rough start :).

The question isn't if they're conditioned or not, but whether how quickly worn most of the players' bodies are getting from the amount of games they've been in the past two years. Which shouldn't be an issue for most of our players since most of them are fill-ins, young, haven't gone through the amount of workload the regulars at the top have, and don't get that much ice-time.

Perhaps players like Datsyuk and Lidstrom are being affected by it, but who knows. Most people here will shut down the idea, though.

plus over time games

... but If I was getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars... I would never be tired haha. So since there is an an incentive of cash and Stanley cups... maybe they should pick it the heck up hah.

If only it was that easy...

Arice is right. Three consecutive years of 3+ rounds of playoff hockey takes its' toll.

If only it was that easy...

Arice is right. Three consecutive years of 3+ rounds of playoff hockey takes its' toll.

desire can only push one so far too when your body is flat out broken down and tired... I think this had a lot to do with the rash of injuries... they've basically been playing NHL hockey for almost 4 years straight with no break... anyone would wear down a bit under those conditions

Let the team have there break this year. Will get them next year :D . We're still the best team out there w/o injuries. We're just not playing like we use to.

Could also be maybe Wings trying to get the 1st round overall pick up there Ovechkin.

Guest micah

I saw that. Z and D both double shifted, Z looked fine, Dats was visibly winded and headed to the bench. It was ugly, but I don't recall the context - Dats could have been out more previously than Z was, I'm not sure.

I saw that. Z and D both double shifted, Z looked fine, Dats was visibly winded and headed to the bench. It was ugly, but I don't recall the context - Dats could have been out more previously than Z was, I'm not sure.

Datsyuk is three years older.

Guest micah
Datsyuk is three years older.

Mayve that's it - but I doubt it. Dats is still in his prime years as far as athelete stamina goes. The world's best marathon runners are older than Dats. Granted, they may have fewer previous injurries than Dats does, but if I hadto guess why dats can't keep up with Z (and I don't know that that's true), I'd blame either the miles or the conditioning, not the years.

i dont know it just weird that playing games months ago could effect your play now

Its not so much the games played as lack of an off-season. Most players are done in April, they get 2 months to rest, recuperate, and then they can launch into a long personal fitness regime before they start pre-season.

Detroit have had 3 straight seasons of a few weeks rest, then pretty much straight into pre-season.

There's a similar effect in Soccer in summers where its the European Championships or World Cup. Players that go deep in those tournaments play until the end of June, pre-season starts in July, and competetive games start in August. Sir Alex Ferguson who is arguably the best coach in any sport in the world, gives his players who've gone deep in the WC August off.

Agreed. It's the amount of playoffs games we've played the last 3 years that's effecting us the most this season. And many of our players will be expected to play in the Olympics in February. :thumbdown:

It don't think it'll happen, but missing the playoffs or going out in the first round may not be too bad a thing for the players. I think our guys need a much needed rest.