• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Echolalia

Jimmy Howard watch thread

Rate this topic

Yeah, I mean the defense can only blamed so much. It was amazingly piss poor last night against one of the worst teams in the league, but some of these were definitely stoppable. We can continue to do these shootout, hopefully outscore the other team 7-5 type games (as entertaining as they are dry.gif) but we do need to play a little "defense" sometime soon. This month can prove to be a disaster. Just glad we got out of the Scosh with a W.

I agree with you on most of this post, but what goal, other than the Michalek one could he have stopped? Unless you want to blame his positioning on the first and say he went down too soon... one he was screened unluckily by Lidstrom, and the other 2 were deflected (one of which was a no doubter tap in and the other was a redirection from his own teammates stick that took an unfortunate bounce)

With that said, I agree with you whole heartedly that defense can only be blamed so much and there have been other games where Howard definitely shoulders a good chunk of that blame this year, but last night just shouldn't be included, as it was such a freak night...

I agree with you on most of this post, but what goal, other than the Michalek one could he have stopped? Unless you want to blame his positioning on the first and say he went down too soon... one he was screened unluckily by Lidstrom, and the other 2 were deflected (one of which was a no doubter tap in and the other was a redirection from his own teammates stick that took an unfortunate bounce)

With that said, I agree with you whole heartedly that defense can only be blamed so much and there have been other games where Howard definitely shoulders a good chunk of that blame this year, but last night just shouldn't be included, as it was such a freak night...

It was a freak night last night, but all around I have to say it is getting a bit ridiculous. And not to go on another rant but I have to say that Jonathan Ericsson has to go soon. He is right around the most useless player on the ice nightly and this includes Salei. I would prefer Kindl over "Big" E anymore. It's incredibly frustrating watching such a big guy just tuck his tail between his legs in almost all in front of the net situations.

14 games (out of 38) where Howie gave up 4+ goals. I'm rooting for the guy and want him to be the man, but this is getting really out of hand. His GAA is inching even closer to 3.00 and his save percentage is getting closer to falling below 90%. Its not all his fault, I do believe we need to address some things on defense, but he needs to be MUCH better in the playoffs. It is possible. We've seen Osgood do it.

Pretty much this. And, it is also like this in most instances of both the goalie and the defense not pulling their weight despite how much Red Wings fans act like lunatics about goaltending.

Howard hasn't done much to impress lately but neither has the defense either outside of the New Jersey game.

We've seen this team flip a switch per se in 2009 where defense and Osgood were both playing pretty awful but they were able to zone in for most of the playoffs. We've seen Howard play well last season and for parts of the playoffs as well. While he was a factor in an early playoff exit, like above it wasn't just him alone.

Thankfully this season the team has built up a decent cushion in the standings to where making the playoffs should not be a problem. If for whatever reason management is seeking out a goalie in a trade to back up Howard if Osgood doesn't get better, or even press Howard, I'm all for whatever helps the team, but I'm perfectly comfortable with Howard and Osgood if they and the defense can clean their act up.

I would really like to see inside Babcock's head right now. You have to think that, if Howard keeps this up and Osgood can come back this season, Babcock gives Ozzie as many games as he can handle physically. If Ozzie doesn't come back and Howard keeps this up, do they trade for a cheap spare? If Howard is still playing 3-4 goals per game by the deadline, and Ozzie is expected to be gone for the year, I would go with a late pick for Mike Smith. Yes he was just on waivers, but he's the best option of easily acquirable goalies out there, and has had some pretty strong years in both Dallas and Tampa Bay.

All we can really do is wait on the health of Ozzie's groin combined with whether or not Howard decides he wants to be an NHL starter.

DETROIT -- Detroit Red Wings goaltender Jimmy Howard grew up in upstate New York cheering for the Rangers.

Now he’s beating them. Howard is two-for-two in games against his one-time favorite team, following Monday’s 45-save performance in a 3-2 victory at Joe Louis Arena.

"It feels really good," Howard said. "Growing up watching them all the time on the MSG Network, every single time I get to play them, it’s sort of surreal and it’s a lot of fun at the same time."

Howard faced a season-high 47 shots, including 18 in the third period. It was his best performance since Jan. 8, when he made 34 saves in addition to three shootout attempts in a 2-1 win at Vancouver.

"He played tremendously for us," Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom said. "The goals they scored, there wasn’t much he could do. He kept us in the game when they were coming after us pretty hard and made some saves especially on our penalty killing."

Howard said his teammates allowed him to see a lot of the shots.

"We did a good job of blocking out front, tying up sticks, allowing me to see it," Howard said. "It makes the goalie’s life a lot easier when you’re not trying to guess through legs and through bodies on where the puck’s coming.

"Even though the shot total is high we did a great job keeping them to the outside and not really allowing them much in tight."

I'm not commenting on his play as I didn't start watching until 10 to go in the 3rd. Was poor defense to blame?

They didn't start on time again. No focus or intensity, poor passing, missed assignments, got forechecked and outworked. That about covers it.

Well, there is one thing he is pretty consistent at...

Letting in 4 goals a game.

lol. Jimmy continues to be out of position and almost seems lost out there at times. An odd bad game here and there is no big deal, it happens for everyone, but he hasn't been the same this year and when playoffs come I think it will be even worse. His playoff performance last year was not on par with his excellent season and he's not giving any indication that we'll be heading for a long playoff run this year.

Unless Ozzie comes back in top form, I can see Holland making a move before the deadline for a veteran netminder.

Guest Crymson

lol. Jimmy continues to be out of position and almost seems lost out there at times. An odd bad game here and there is no big deal, it happens for everyone, but he hasn't been the same this year and when playoffs come I think it will be even worse. His playoff performance last year was not on par with his excellent season and he's not giving any indication that we'll be heading for a long playoff run this year.

Unless Ozzie comes back in top form, I can see Holland making a move before the deadline for a veteran netminder.

Ah, the goalie is the only one ever responsible for a goal going in, eh? Fair enough. Let's have all of our defensemen play far up in the offensive zone, then. And on every single play in our defensive zone, we should have all three forwards cherry-picking. By all rights, Howard, Osgood, or whoever else is in net should be able to stop all shots by the opponent.

Translation: I don't think you watched the game, because Howard was hung out like laundry on pretty much every goal.

Guest Crymson

Rock solid night for Jimmy. Was left out to dry on the 2 goals tonight, imo. A lot of positive here.

Agreed. 38 saves and two goals that weren't his fault.