• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
luvmnger

nylander on loan to griffins?

Rate this topic

report on "eklund" stating that the caps have loaned michael nylander to grand rapids griffins for remainder of year.

i didnt know that was possible.

well if its true maybe the kids can benefit from an experienced player feeding them pucks.

hmmmm.

Well - Nylander went to Grand Rapids on a conditioning stint towards the end of October, and played 5 or 6 games for the Griffs, before returning. I think he put up roughly point-per-game numbers.

So there's a link there all right... But honestly, I don't know how exactly it works with that big contract of his. If he does go to the Griffs, I assume he's there for the year.

report on "eklund" stating that the caps have loaned michael nylander to grand rapids griffins for remainder of year.

i didnt know that was possible.

well if its true maybe the kids can benefit from an experienced player feeding them pucks.

hmmmm.

remember who its coming from

Its actually not that unusual. We also have Patrick Rissmiller this year here in GR who is on loan from the Rangers. Last year, we had three players (Garrett Stafford, Aaron Gagnon and Landon Wilson) from the Dallas Stars. Whenever the fit isn't right for one reason or other with the main AHL affiliate, the NHL club has the right to contract with a secondary AHL affiliate for one or more of their players. Detroit did it last year with Randall Gelech by assigning him to Rochester when there wasn't a good spot for him in GR. The NHL club can also assign the player to a league in Europe. (That's what Axelsson seems to want for himself ...to be re-assigned to the SEL).

When Nylander was here in October, he didn't have to pass through waivers either to or from GR since it was a conditioning stint. He will have to this time to come to GR. Assuming no other NHL team wants to pay 100% of his remaining contract, he'll start playing in GR once he clears. He then has to stay a minimum of two weeks before Washington can try to unload 50% of his salary by putting him on re-entry waivers (a la Sean Avery a year ago). They can also just choose to keep him in GR.

Wouldn't this mean even less ice time for the prospects we want playing?

Not really, no.

Tatar is leaving for the WJC now and he will leave a hole, Nylander the perfect replacement.

Nylander will control a struggling PP and there will still be a lot of time for Mursak, Emmerton, Ritola ect. Don't forget that he's already been here, we went 5-0 with him in the line-up, and he helped jump start a few seasons.

At the end of the day it's about getting our prospects contributing AND playing in a winning environment. Nylander should go a long way towards ensuring that we're a successful team. I like this move a lot.

Not really, no.

Tatar is leaving for the WJC now and he will leave a hole, Nylander the perfect replacement.

Nylander will control a struggling PP and there will still be a lot of time for Mursak, Emmerton, Ritola ect. Don't forget that he's already been here, we went 5-0 with him in the line-up, and he helped jump start a few seasons.

At the end of the day it's about getting our prospects contributing AND playing in a winning environment. Nylander should go a long way towards ensuring that we're a successful team. I like this move a lot.

Agreed.. Nylander probably have alot to teach them young players in griff. Being around a guy like Nyl should help them both on the ice and off. Should be good for their development. I just hope that he does not teach them how to negotiate with contracts, in that case the wings future is screwed :hehe:

Don't ask me how I thought he was 34!!

Anyway, I don't really see him being the "great teacher" you guys are making him out to be. He's there to play hockey, collect a paycheck, and go home. Nothing more, nothing less. Anything else done is gravy.

We can't bring him up though right? That's not how it works?

Right. He belongs to Washington. They can bring him up, but he'd have to clear waivers.

I believe that after 14 days w/ GR, the Caps are allowed to recall him on waivers and any team that claims him is only on hook for 50% of his Salary.

He'll never wear a Wings Jersey just so you know.