• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

Which Goalie Should Start for Russia in the Olympics?

Rate this topic

Khabibulin

Nabokov

Bryzgalov

My money is on Bryzgalov. I know he doesn't have the playoff or Olympic experience that the other two guys have, but right now he's playing lights out hockey and is carrying the Coyotes on his back. I think they should go with the hot hand and name him the starter.

Varlamov.

He isn't as good as any of those guys and has even less experience than Bryzgalov. That's why I didn't include him.

Last time he played in a pressure game, he got tagged by the Pens in that game 7. I don't think a guy who gives up soft goals in a big game is a guy they want starting for them.

Are you guys serious about having a rookie unproven goalie who is prone to soft goals starting over those other guys I mentioned?

I doubt Fetisov and Bure would agree with you guys on Varlamov starting. He's got a good future, but he's far from the best choice they can make.

I agree that Bryz seems to be the best choice, but I have a suspicion (based on nothing in particular) that Nabby would be the guy to get the first crack at it. Perhaps some of our friends from across the pond have more insight.

I don't know about that.

Politics wise, Khabibulin is more likely to get the nod, since the Russian Olympic Committee has discriminated against Nabokov in the past because he once played for Kazakhstan.

I don't know about that.

Politics wise, Khabibulin is more likely to get the nod, since the Russian Olympic Committee has discriminated against Nabokov in the past because he once played for Kazakhstan.

He started for Russia in Torino was primarily my thinking. Bryz and Khabibulin were also there but Bryz only started one game and Nik started none.

EDIT: As it turns out the reason for that was he was injured, so that may be part of the circumstances that put Nabby in net, but he's hurt again this year so it could be deja vu for Russia.

Edited by Heroes of Hockeytown

Considering Khabibulin is on IR and out indefinitely, I doubt he will be 100% come February. It's been over a month since he as played a game. From articles I have read, he could be out for a long time with some sort of back problem, which has been a reoccurring problem with him.

My money is on Bryzgalov.