• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest micah

Mickey Redmond appreciation thread.

Rate this topic

Mickey is one of the only colour commentators I've heard that gets angry when his team gets a powerplay as a result of a crap call from an official.

Yup, I have definitely noticed this as well. It drives me nuts when people call him an over the top homer. To my ears, he has serious love for the Wings, obviously, but he loves the game even more -- and calls things accordingly.

Next to the Wings, I watch more Sharks games than anything (due to where I live), and thus get to listen to Randy and Drew quite a bit. They bring the same sort of humor and character to their broadcasts as Ken and Mickey, but tip the scales on the homerism front.

I'm firmly of the opinion that we're blessed to have the broadcast team we do, even if I do miss Strader.

Has there been any talk of when Mick might retire? Has there been official discussion of Murphy being his successor? I don't mind Murphy as much as some around here seem to, but that would leave a huge vacuum, character wise. I would love to see someone like DMac be given a few games in front of the camera to see how he does. He just has so much more charisma than Murphy, and I liked what little I saw during the Nashville game recently.

Edited by Uncle Danny

very true.that shows how much he wants the league as a whole to function without extremely soft calls,no matter what team it benefits.i really like his passion for the game.

yeah, but it has gotten increasingly annoying with his complaining, especially because know Daniels gets annoyed by it and makes even dumber comments like "we know mickey, we know". We get it mickey, you hate weak penalties, get over it, i would be surprised if i was the only person who thought this, certainly fans of every other team in the league have picked up on it whether he says other team's penalties are bad or not. And his comments about the sticks are so annoying, but alot of other commentators do that to, its more of an overall league wide thing.

I love the guy and never want him to retire (though I have already realized he is not a fan of composite sticks...), especially if Murph is the replacement. I understand that as the third wheel, he doesn't get a lot of openings, but when he does, half the time I facepalm.

Also, apparently he enjoy Dollar Dog nights. Just an FYI.

yeah, but it has gotten increasingly annoying with his complaining, especially because know Daniels gets annoyed by it and makes even dumber comments like "we know mickey, we know". We get it mickey, you hate weak penalties, get over it, i would be surprised if i was the only person who thought this, certainly fans of every other team in the league have picked up on it whether he says other team's penalties are bad or not. And his comments about the sticks are so annoying, but alot of other commentators do that to, its more of an overall league wide thing.

so turn down the volume on the tv and listen to the radio. or stay here and whine your ass off for a coupla pages. geez. nobody really cares, you know. none of us matter that much.

so turn down the volume on the tv and listen to the radio. or stay here and whine your ass off for a coupla pages. geez. nobody really cares, you know. none of us matter that much.

im not THAT annoyed by it, I made a valid point, why do you care so much about my opinion to post a reply, there is an ignore button, UKredwing has illustriously found it, even though most of the time I agree with this board, I think Redmond is getting tiring, nothing wrong with me saying that that, and i will defend my stance, move on

I love the guy and never want him to retire (though I have already realized he is not a fan of composite sticks...), especially if Murph is the replacement. I understand that as the third wheel, he doesn't get a lot of openings, but when he does, half the time I facepalm.

Also, apparently he enjoy Dollar Dog nights. Just an FYI.

:lol: That's a classic part of the game though, when Murph talks about how Dollar hotdog and beer night is his favorite, never gets old.

:lol: That's a classic part of the game though, when Murph talks about how Dollar hotdog and beer night is his favorite, never gets old.

LOL. Every time Murph says something awkward, my wife or I mention Dollar Dogs. It's our drinking game. :D

And really, I don't think I dislike Murph, I just don't think he's as good as Mickey. Given time, who knows.

Mickey = AWESOME though. It's scientifically proven.

LOL. Every time Murph says something awkward, my wife or I mention Dollar Dogs. It's our drinking game. :D

And really, I don't think I dislike Murph, I just don't think he's as good as Mickey. Given time, who knows.

Mickey = AWESOME though. It's scientifically proven.

What formula did you use to solve this problem? I got Mickey = SUPER AWESOME.

Guest micah
Redmond has gone increasingly senile, im sick of hearing his retreaded phrases and referee/stick complaints over and over, bring in Dmac or someone. It was also disturbing to hear mickey's orgasm when may and barch fought. Mickey needs to retire....

LOL. If someone asked me "what LGW idiot would be most likely to troll a discussion titled "Mickey Redmond apprectiation thread", I would have guessed you. Well done, you class act.

There's a difference b/t knowing of the past, and living in it. A large portion of his schtick consists of comapring the present to 'ol' time hockey'. Which is sweet of you're out of market and catch 1 or 2 FSN games on NHLN. It just gets old after awhile for me (maybe cause I grew up on 'ol' time hockey' - its a different era now - someone tell Mick).

Daniels is getting to be one of the best PxP guys. I really wanted to hear him and Panger on the second Swede game but NHLN had the CBC feed and FSN was blacked out on CI. Always thought they'd make an interesting listen.

LOL. If someone asked me "what LGW idiot would be most likely to troll a discussion titled "Mickey Redmond apprectiation thread", I would have guessed you. Well done, you class act.

i figured you would cry, you obviously cannot take others' opinions

Guest micah
i figured you would cry, you obviously cannot take others' opinions

Oh, there are no tears here, chum. You don't like Mick, that's fine. I can take your oppinions. Stating that he is "senile", calling his phrases "retarded", refering to his enthusiasm (which the crowd at JLA clearly shared with him) derogitively as an orgasm, etc goes beyond good taste and is simply trolling. If you want to be that guy, fine, it isn't going to bother me.

You could have chose to be a classy guy and said nothing in Mickey's appretiation thread. You could have articulated your complaints about the way he does his job in a respectful way. You ellected not to. I called you on it, I didn't cry about it.

Welcome to my list. I've never ignored anyone on the internet before. This is new ground for me. Best of luck in everything you ever do. I sincerely hope you get better.

Oh, there are no tears here, chum. You don't like Mick, that's fine. I can take your oppinions. Stating that he is "senile", calling his phrases "retarded", refering to his enthusiasm (which the crowd at JLA clearly shared with him) derogitively as an orgasm, etc goes beyond good taste and is simply trolling. If you want to be that guy, fine, it isn't going to bother me.

You could have chose to be a classy guy and said nothing in Mickey's appretiation thread. You could have articulated your complaints about the way he does his job in a respectful way. You ellected not to. I called you on it, I didn't cry about it.

Welcome to my list. I've never ignored anyone on the internet before. This is new ground for me. Best of luck in everything you ever do. I sincerely hope you get better.

i never called his phrases 'retarded' i clearly wrote 'retreaded', good to see the 'tough' crowd here not act like it, and yes he made a funny noise in the telecast he other night, senile is used to lightly insinuate being to old to do something properly my vocabulary

im not THAT annoyed by it, I made a valid point, why do you care so much about my opinion to post a reply, there is an ignore button, UKredwing has illustriously found it, even though most of the time I agree with this board, I think Redmond is getting tiring, nothing wrong with me saying that that, and i will defend my stance, move on

* you are too annoyed by it....you replied to me.

* you did state a valid opinion (all are valid) I don't really care about it....my point was that you keep defending it as if we're supposed to care or can have our minds changed because you keep defending it when nobody really cares.

* I don't have anyone on ignore. there's no point to that, imho.

* you think mickey is tiring. i get that. you already said that. you don't need to defend that. stop saying that (or don't...whine for a coupla more pages.. i don't care.

* move on

I am simultaneously amused and annoyed by how quickly an "appreciation thread" can get derailed by someone who, for whatever reason, posts something contrary to the intent of the thread, and therefore draws the ire of other posters.

That being said, I agree with those in here that appreciate Mickey Redmond, he is one of the best hockey color commentators of all time. True, he does have homer tendencies from time to time, and he harps on the composite sticks a little too often, but no one can question is passion for the sport in general, nor his vast knowledge of the game.

Besides, by comparison he is probably the least biased color guy on any of the local TV networks that air NHL games. Having some favoritism of the team you watch every day and supporting the organization that essentially signs your paycheck is understandable, but some of these guys on FSN, especially Nashville, Atlanta, and Columbus, take it a little too far, while others such as the crews for Dallas, Minnesota, and Detroit are genuinely fun to watch even if you don't agree with their opinions.

Long live Mick, it just isn't as much fun without him, and I for one will be sad when he calls it a career.